Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had never heard of a flange oiler! I actually had to research it. Should be easy enough to model though.
Curt: Actually, they don't belong anywhere within an engine terminal, but on the Main ahead of a curve. Nice touch,that few people model. I love the way your terminal is developing. Numerous photo possibilities once finished.

Ken Va: Nice Pipe loads.

Willy: Congratulations on the family addition.

Thanks for all the "likes" on my previous post, and for all well wishes. When I woke up this morning the first thing I noticed was I was breathing normally through my nose, and that my mouth wasn't dry. When my feet hit the floor, I was less stiff and wobbly...amazin' stuff that Prednisone.
The Azithromycin seems to be working, as I have noticeable improvement in my breathing. No results back yet on the Covid test.

Jesse I was goodie two shoes,didn’t smoke,didn’t do drugs - well once wasn’t impressed - always worked, one man at a time despite offers,never broke the law,loved my parents,and love my husband and kids although the kids I could strangle often.
I dunno. Running red lights, driving without a license on your person, giving a police officer a false impression, sounds like a fast track to delinquency to me. 🤣 Only kidding. I am an expert on rebellious behavior as I spent the last of my teens and my early 20s being a rebel without a cause. When combined with the difficulties and hardships I endured prior to and during that time frame, I was more like Kid rock: a devil without a cause. Except I didn't go platinum, not even once. Thankfully, God intervened by sending the woman who is now my wife into my path and made me rethink where my life was going.
Jesse- That photo is funny. I really like Tamiya paint. Strangely it smells like bananas to me in the jar.
This is my first experience with them. So far, so good. At first, it kind of does. It's weird.

Good Evening!

Curt - Looks like you glue down the cork roadbed, as do I. Someone wrote that might not be a good idea when I posted a photo, because it creates difficulty if one wants to change things. - That's probably true, but I'm still going to glue the cork down. Push comes to shove, I'll pull out the 3" belt sander if I need to change things. That baby fixes all misguided judgements.

Ken - I like the cut tree branch, flatcar load idea. - I just read in a book tonight, that the Wisteria tree works good for that, because the bark looks scale. Now, I want to look up Wisteria and see if any grows in the north. Who knows, maybe the wifes garden has some in it.

I was putting up walls today, allowing dry-time intervals so I could allow the wife some time for her needs.
I'm going to spend the evening looking for a new interior. That giant size furniture just don't cut it for me. - Mind you, it suits that huge fly sitting on the side of the building, waiting for an unsuspecting victim to come by, so it can suck them dry. I'm not trying to make horror show scenes, though.
CoffeeShop_12-07-2021 (1).jpg

Here's another view describing why it needs a better interior:
CoffeeShop_12-07-2021 (2).jpg

Have a wonderful, peaceful night.

Good morning from mildly frozen So Central Wisconsin. The winds are at 25mph with gusting up to 40+. Looking out towards the woods, we are surrounded 75% with trees, I can see a few downed trees but many branches on the ground. The high today should hit 29 which is 1 degree more then the 28 we have now. BUT, but the wonderful wind chill makes it feel like 12 out there. Fun times in Wisconsin during December.

GMA did a story on Bob Dole and his passing this morning. While I never voted for him, he is the type of senator we could use 100 of right now. A gentleman who understood and DID what his constituents voted him in office for, their agenda not his!

Voting, I voted in 2016 because I believe the lady was an outright but not ever caught criminal. I voted for the current guy because I thought the office needed to be respected again and he could re-unite the country. We now know because of issues from BOTH sides of the aisle that won’t happen.

Property taxes, I know we pay them and they are high.

School taxation, I run hot and cold on this one. Yes at times I feel because I don’t have kids in the school district I should be exempted. But, I do have grandkids in school. What I vehemently disagree with is senior citizens having to pay the increases on referendums to rebuild or newly build schools. If you guys and gals want to see a taxation boondoggle look up the Verona High School, in Verona, Wi. on Google Earth. It is a 2 year old complex/campus that will hold 2200 students even though there are only 1400 now attending. Yes, plan for the future. It is the most expensive school building and campus in the state and it truly wasn’t needed.
Just to piss Terry and the daughter off I call it the Taj Mahal of USA high schools.

Trains, more weathering plus adding some debris to the pulpwood car decks.
View attachment 136397View attachment 136398View attachment 136399
Tom- snagged that last picture to post on the Book of Face.

Ok, I get it but…you have to do what you want to do

I am not a believer in the older Bachman stuff as IMO it wasn't worth the price. With new wheels and of course new couplers it will make a good addition to your fleet. For my money I would be looking for the Accurail kits to build and use.

and if you are having fun, don’t worry about what I say

TomO
Bachmann…. located in a GREAT area of Philly. NOT!! There’s rougher parts of the city, but the border of Erie & Kensington neighborhoods is not one of the safest in daytime, let alone at night. I did store setup at a Zone store at Marshall & Hunting Park… not to far from from Erie & M.

Flo- Time for coffee. I would also like a plate of French toast and bacon with hashbrowns. Thank you.

It seems that the overnight rush hour seems to have abated for the time being. Not much new activity this morning and I noticed a nearly 5 hour gap in postings. Perhaps we were all modeling or running trains?

Guy- Nice work. The coffee shop looks great.

I have a minor update of my own. Got a little more paint work done, but nothing more.

Laid down some flat earth to serve as a base for mounting the service station onto. Once the building is in place, I will finish off the detailing of the surrounding area.

262759073_283365897090447_1048376186162171973_n.jpg

Also painted the interior walls to match the exterior and put the finally coat on the floor.

264664854_275110137922612_5330272637336680362_n.jpg

Hoping for time this evening to glue the window frames in place and try to paint the glass with Dullcote.

The train shop I have been looking forward to checking out today opens for the first day of business for the week today. They are closed Sunday thru Tuesday. Unfortunately, today is also the day I have to drive from Raleigh to Greenville, Selma, and Smithfield, NC. Which means I will most likely not make it back before they close for the day (10a-5p). What is they say? Good things are worth waiting for? I hope that's the case here.

Y'all have a blessed day. Coffee and breakfast are calling my name, but not before a refreshingly warm shower.

Until we meet again internet café dwellers.

waldo.jpg

Good morning all! A frosty 20 degrees here heading for a day of sunny and 44. Today is a long day at work, so I'll need a lot more coffee Flo.

Went out to leave for work yesterday and my truck wouldn't start. Had to grab the jumper cables and jump it off my wife's car. Got to work and then had to get another jump start to leave later, so it was off to the Autozone. Had a new battery put in ($205!), so hopefully no more problems. The kid putting the battery in didn't put the cover back over the battery before attaching the cables, so it's not fastened down very well. He offered to disconnect everything and redo it, but I just wanted to get out of the cold and go home so I told him I'd do it later.

Willie: Congrats on the coming addition to the family!

Nothing much else to report. Time for one more cup and then off to work. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning. It's cloudy and 38.
The job application yesterday turned out to be "we're looking for a state inspection mechanic that can perform alignments, not an alignment mechanic." I mentioned rather firmly they should have put that requirement in the ad, so they weren't wasting their time and mine. A check this morning shows the ad has been updated.

Morning all,

Currently 27° and clear this morning, going for a high in the mid 50's. Supposed to get near 70° for highs tomorrow and Friday, then in the 40's for the weekend.

Had a Christmas program for the distant granddaughter last night. Fortunately we were able to watch online. While 7-8pm isn't "late", when you get up at 3:30a the added hour and 10 minute drive does make it a "late" night.

Terry: I hate when they post a job and don't put what they really want in the ad. While I'm not actively looking to change jobs, I am getting emails from the job listing sites. Most employers in the area complain we don't have enough IT people, but the wages they offer haven't changed. I am currently making about the same I was 10 years ago, but I'm also at the age where less job stress is a bonus.

JazA: That's a beautiful scene TomO found. Any tips on creating it would be great.

Gotta get to work, BBL

Well, howdy there internet coffee railroad people

It's troy again

Today, let's talk about colds and bench height.

Seems last week I might have had a nasty cold, or a C19 breakthrough. Sinus drainage and sore throat. Isolated, but got it gone fast enough that I didn't bother to get tested. Only had about three days of Blah.

Three days later, I've got the sinus's filling up again...

I'm vaxxed and boosted, so I suspect this second trip is one of the colds trying to break through all the T-cell protections. I'm being sure to mask if I have to make a run for more zinc tabs or Diet Dr. Pepper... but, zinc makes that taste funny.

Blah... all those bugs we didn't have the last two years are back with a vengeance.

Been Reading through Tony Koester's book on Multi-level design. My main deck is going to have to go up or down to make that work. Main level is currently at 46 inches for the lowest top of rails. So now I'm trying figure out how to drop a 12 ft long section of the layout at least a foot, without totally wrecking it or the track I've already laid.

Those of you with two decks.... what's your go-to spacing between the top of rails and bottom of the valance above?

Of course, if I can ever convince my wife to move up the Canadian Maritimes so we can be close to the ocean again, I'd have to move the entire thing, or start over.

Hmmm... decisions. ;)

Good Morning All. Clear and 37°, still gradually warming up to 80°+ tomorrow and Friday. Lower temps Saturday through Monday and back to the mid-70's for a while. No obvious rain in the forecast.
Another gorgeous sunset last night.
102_1771.JPG

102_1776.JPG

Induced birth of my grandson has been delayed because there were no open hospital beds at my DIL's hospital last night. Play it by ear for now, or maybe just let it happen like it was always done years ago! A novel idea! They want to induce the labor since she suffers from BP issues and the docs think that she had a mild stroke earlier in the pregnancy. Never confirmed.
On my wife's medical front, it seems to be going well. Our home health nurse was by yesterday to change the dressing, which we have been doing ourselves, and pointed out that all looked well. Staples are due to come out next Monday. It's my wife's second day without the
Hydrocodone pain reliever which is a very good sign. I wonder how much model train money I could get by selling the leftover pills on the black market???
Regarding the discussion here about manual transmissions, I drove a stick for 50 years until we downsized to one car recently. Learned to drive in a '59 Chevy Biscayne back in the day. i didn't realize that SUV's were available in manuals until Terry posted a couple of days ago. My wife may still remember how to drive one, but she switched to automatics in '87. I still sometimes drive in traffic with my hand on the gear shift lever just out of habit!

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday for the small improvement project; James, Sherrel, Jaz, Rick, Guy, Patrick, Steve J, Troy, Hughie, Christian, Karl, Gary, George, Mikey, Curt, Tom O, Joe, Louis, Jesse, Tom, IB Ken, OB Ken.

Just a buttered whole wheat English Muffin and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I found this part laying on the layout.
IMG_8429.png

Doesn't look like a stirup. After studying it for a while, I decided that it was a hanger from an EMD truck like this.
IMG_8427.JPG

Looked around and found the engine that I was looking for.
IMG_8426.JPG

A little Super Glue and the issue was fixed, but I lost that picture. Needless to say, it looks like the good one now.

Troy - Tony Koester has been one of my "go-to" guys since his days as editor of Railroad Model Craftsman. That being said, I think that he has developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder these days. However he is not afraid to detail his failures along the way.
Guy -
What does one say about today? - Happy Pearl Day!
Good question for which I have no answer.
Signs and curtains look good. I like the interior, you should try to scale it down to maybe 85% or less. That's almost a must for pictures that I use off the internet.
Karl - I like the ease of use and the compactness of the Power Shot camera. Since my older one was a hand me down from my wife, I never got the manual. I am looking forward to seeing how to manually make settings to improve my pictures.
Joe - Glad to read that you're feeling better.
Troy - My decks are 16" apart. My lower deck is 36" which gives grandkids a better view.

For those of us who are Catholics, today is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Otherwise it's also National Brownie Day.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back