Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon all. A really nice day in H-Town.

Well it's the start of Christmas week. The wife is singing Christmas carols, I'm sitting outside so the neighbors don't think I'm hitting her.;)
Our youngest came by to drop off gifts and to pick up hers from us. Covid-19 is sure changing things this year.
We normally have everyone here and open all the gifts together on Christmas morning. This year each family in their own home, on Christmas Eve, and on Zoom. Guess it's better than nothing, but still.

I did get get 10 turnouts wired yesterday, leaving me 15 to go. There is no hurry. Test ran all the locos in both directions and not a issue anywhere, except for some dirty track.

STAY SAFE

LATER (ho, ho, ho)

Good morning. Started out with a morning temp at 30 with an expected high in the 50's but with a high wind warning. It is huffin' and puffin' outside now. A good excuse to visit the train room today.

Garry - Like the video. Loved the Burlington E units. Some of the sharpest looking locomotives around.

Luke - Some of the trees were made from sage brush as there is plenty of it around here and some were made using wire armatures. Some trees had foam clumps for vegetation and others had poly fiber with fine ground foam added.

Mikey - More excellent photos.

IBKen - I like the Craftsman snow blower because it does have electric start and is made in the USA. Still haven't got all the strength back in the right arm after the shoulder replacement. My wife finally made me agree that I too will soon be unable to maintain what we have.

James - Like the photo but you can keep the snow. We haven't had much so far this year, but winter doesn't start for a couple of days.

Terry - I am wondering if that package that went to Alaska was mistakenly delivered to Murphy's place.

Willie
- Nice way to start the day off. Like the picnic tables. Made some out of strip wood for this park.
thumbnail_20201107_121758.jpg

Joe - Like the photos. The catenary is something else. I can remember all the work it was years ago helping a friend with his Milwaukee Road layout.

Guess it's back to the archives again for photos.

thumbnail_20200121_141013.jpg
thumbnail_20200201_090432.jpg
IMAG0885.jpg
006.jpg
thumbnail_20191014_050800.jpg
thumbnail_20200128_164026.jpg
IMAG0469.jpg
thumbnail_20201018_105351.jpg
thumbnail_20201206_134835.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then once I made it to the train room I glued down the WS Risers for the coal trestle. I was able to figure out how to compress 8 ft. into 5.5 ft. by mixing and matching old pieces. Overall it has about a 2.5% grade. While that was drying I laid down the approach track and 3 T/O for the yard. Nothing electrical yet. Probably no modeling tomorrow since my Mom has her "real" appointment early afternoon.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Sherrel- Funny picture. Is that the start to a forest fire on the right? I can't make it out even after blowing up the picture.

Garry- Great video.

Phil- Thank you.

Chet- Thank you. A bunch of great photos.

Dave- Great SP photo.

Joe- Thank you. Great 1:1 photos. The road is amazing. Well done.

Mikey- Great layout scenes.

James- Nice looking yard.

Willie- Beautiful sunrise.

Guy- Nice 1:1 photos.

Jerry- Interesting 1:1 photos.

20201220_132735.jpg

20201220_134905.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Dave, I meant to comment on your Sugar Beet train photo - a really great photo!

CURT - I enlarged the photo up tp 500% and still can't testify to what that is. It looks like it may be a campsite, or even three gravesites - I cannot determine.
The photo is of an active volcano in Guatemala!

CHET -
As per usual - your photos are extra-ordinary - the layout too!

HUGHIE - I read your post to my Spousal Unit - She "cracked-up" at what you said.

Hello Shop Dwellers, only have time for a quick drive-by post tonight; haven't even read the last few pages.

First, thank you everyone for all the expressions of concern for my sister. Things were looking hopeful yesterday when she said the fever was gone, but today it came back! o_O:confused:

Managed to grab a few hours at the workbench today. Spent my time finishing the enhancement of my scratchbuilt McDonalds restaurant, applying the replacement decals for both sides of the Golden Arches "billboard" sign, then installing all the window poster decals that I printed on the same decal sheet as the ones for my Dairy Queen ~4 weeks ago.

First, the view as it would be seen on the layout:
McDoanldsWithPostersBroadView.jpg

Next, a head-on view of the large posters by the front entrance - difficult for visitors to see when viewing it in its normal spot on the layout, because it is constantly in the shadow of the overhanging roof:
McDoanldsWithPostersFrontView.jpg

Unlike Guy's Ace Hardware store, this doesn't [yet] have a detailed interior; the window posters help me to disguise that deficiency for a bit longer! :p Unfortunately, the camera lens brutally magnifies the distorted topmost red decal stripe, that stretched when I applied the Micro-Sol. I haven't bothered to fix it yet for the same reason stated earlier [not readily visible when placed on the layout].

...and now it's time for me to go, once again. Cheers!

Good Morning.....Hope every body is doing well. Great stuff posted this weekend....Ken, great looking McDonalds!
Here's a speeder I found half hidden in the shrubbery, this guy has another one at the other end of the building but it's in the middle of a bunch of equipment so couldn't get a picture.
IMG_20201219_145410587.jpg

STAY SAFE---STAY WARM!

Good morning gang.

34° and foggy here, seems really odd , fog with snow on the ground.

After ruining 1 frame, I was able yesterday to mill a second Atlas GP40 frame down far enough to accept a new fuel tank. Now it has the correct shape instead of the boxy look of original Atlas/Roco tank. Attached it with JB Weld, in a few days we will trim where the JB squished out, redrill the motor mounting screws then paint.

Good morning y'all. 35° and foggy...going to go to 40° and stay wet.

Ken: Hope your sister recovers quickly.

Big Hook - Race St. - 1976 Bill Strassner.jpg

Race Street Wreck Train in Penn Coach Yard, relocated from 44th St. Yard. Next track has newsprint cars for the "Bulletin". Bill Strassner photo around 1977.

Ft. Eustis, VA 1966.jpg

MRS-1 B2043 at Ft. Eustis, VA, Warren Calloway photo

Good Morning All. Today is the Winter Solstice, shortest amount of daylight of the year here in the Northern Hemisphere. Here on the SFW estate, the day is officially 9 hr 56 min, with the visible daylight of 10 hr 51 min. Tomorrow will be 1 second longer! Clear skies and a mild 40° here this morning. High today expected to be 70° after a high yesterday of 64°. Continued fair weather for the next week or so.
My wife partially gets her wish to spend Christmas at home. We are going to host an early (in the day) Christmas Eve get together here. A small affair with just us, my two daughters and their spouses, along with the three grandkids. It will be the last day of a 14 day quarantine for my two grandsons, after someone at their school tested positive for Covid. So far after ten days, no other kids at that school have exhibited any symptoms. Christmas Day as usual, we'll be driving to Dallas to split the time between two homes with the same gang.
Headed out today for a Christmas shopping trip for me. Going to the LHS in North Dallas which I didn't get to make a few weeks ago. I am hoping that they still have something left to sell me!
On the way home it's stop for a few additional groceries, Hobby Lobby and a stop to purchase stuff at Home Depot that i need for an upcoming outdoor project.

I'm ready for another round of Mel's "Everything in the Kitchen" omelet this morning Flo. Add a large side of bacon to go with it.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the sunrise and the progress pictures yesterday. Far too many for me to individually acknowledge, but you know who you are. Thanks again.

I didn't get as far as expected on the picnic table builds yesterday, but I did get all of the legs trimmed and assembled and got some of them attached before I had to go in and start supper.
IMG_5317.JPG

I don't expect any further progress today since I will be gone most of the day on the shopping excursion.
I know that Guy is always disappointed if I don't post more pictures, so back into the archives I go.
Here's a scene that I hope to finish up next month.
12-21-13 009.JPG

It is a park scene. Since this initial picture, I got some basketball players and some gentlemen playing chess to add here.
12-21-13 010.JPG

Here's another one ready for further development. A "speed shop" popular in the 60's and 70's.
12-26-13 017.JPG

Just a few of the coming attractions in store for 2021.

Catching up on some posts that I missed yesterday.
Guy - I don't know if I posted before, but I really like your posts on the individual railcars. Yesterday's post regarding the flatcars was outstanding. With a rare exception here and there, I do not have many opportunities to get up close and personal with my subjects for detailing pictures.
Tom O - Ah yes! Life in the window factory environment. Twice I got to see the results of a forklift being driven off a 42" high loading dock, several instances of forklifts being driven into racks of glass, and one incident many years ago where an operator was driving between two of our buildings with his forks raised far too high and snagging a telephone cable stretched overhead. The cable was very securely fastened to the wall, and he pulled down a 25' wide section of concrete tilt wall, which in turn landed on top of a trailer load of windows parked there. Left us a gaping hole in that wall for a couple of days until we were able to get it replaced. Kinda opened my eyes to the structural integrity of our building!:eek: Sucking on the Argon hose is a new one on me!
Garry - Glad that you were finally able to post that video. I love your landscaping in that scene.
Chet - I could look at your layout pictures over and over and still see something new in some of them. This is the first time that I noticed the washing machine on the back porch in your last picture yesterday.
I thought about building the tables out of stripwood, but I don't have enough on hand to make them all.
Ken - A most excellent job on the McDonalds.

So besides being Winter Solstice Day, today is also National Crossword Puzzle Day and National French Fried Shrimp Day. Something for everyone.
Have a great day everyone.

Looking through my archives, Here is the first experimental layout I made to get familiarized with flex track back in 2007. It was just 1 ft by 8 feet.
You have to understand that all of my Märklin layouts were made with sectional track - I had never used flex track until that point. I actually finished the layout but then I discovered that it was a bit too simple for operations :) Nevertheless, it was useful as a way to get familiar with layout design and track laying.

IMG_0886.jpeg

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where it is 31f degrees feeling like 24 with the wind chill. Not a sunny day now but hopefully the weather lady is correct and after lunch it will brighten. Unsure of what I want to do today. I realize I won’t be done with the grain terminal as I still have not figured out the main building complex.

This is an idea of what I really like. Dave Haag is a modeler from Janesville Wi and builds and sells his models but this is his own complex. I enjoy the massiveness of the complex. He sells at my LHS and is super reasonable IMO. From his FB page. Have a great day. TomO

AD14ECA7-23F9-445D-BDAC-77FD4CED91DE.jpeg

47CF8AFB-DFC3-4C55-AEC5-FE5CC5782260.jpeg

Hi Sports Fans: OH - were there any football games yesterday? The only sports game I have watched in over a year was the third quarter of the Army/Navy game and I could not get excited over it neither. I secretly wanted Navy to win because of friends I have, but they weren't doing very well it seemed?
OH - wonderful - just waking up to a "new" strain of the virus? How nice is that?
Supposed to be 79 ° here today - that should get rid of any snow - if we had any?

FLO - I have to go and try to find the Spousal Unit a gift this morning ... she never gives any hints ... still thinks I can read her mind after 30 years?
I'll just have a quick BLT with a glass of milk and run - thanks.

KEN - The hamburger joint - really nice - wonderful work!

Safe travels to all during this time. I really feel bad for all the kids this Christmas. I am having a hard time being in the Christmas Sprit this year. Sorry!
Willie - Like the tables - hss to be tedious work?
JOE - Nice photos

Early afternoon fellers. Spent the past two nights working the scenery angle on my layout. Didnt really get too far. So all of my wrapped cheeseburgers are coming back off. Which is one recommendation as it stands anyways. I had tried cardboard strips. Didnt really like how that went together either. Inexperience is the setback now. This inexperience has created doubt. Doubt has ended in frustration. Not good to get frustrated. However instead of staying with it I took the high road and just called it a night. I'll have to ponder my next move now. Be a little easier once I get the layout cleared off and have a clean canvas to work with again. That's all I have for now. I hope everyone is doing well and I'll stop by again hopefully soon.

Good morning .

Sherrel, Chet, Curt, and Willie ..... Thanks for commenting on my video. Also, thanks to all who liked it.

Terry ..... Again , thank you for info on how to post a video here from Flickr.

Tom O .... That certainly is an impressive grain elevator complex.

Willie ..... I see you have one of the Woodland Scenics set of kids-with-kites. I have one also. The garage looks great.

Kleiner ... Greetings and welcome to the Coffee Shop.

Ken ..... Great looking McDonalds ! .... I remember when they looked like that.

Joe .... Nice Photos of the PC wreck train and the Army locomotive.

Chet .... Your layout pictures are outstanding !

36627425371_fa885a82f9_b.jpg

Everybody ..... Have a nice Monday.

My wife has finally decided on a retirement date, the end of April. She has finally gotten through my thick skull that I am starting to get too old to do many of the things I have over the years. Maintaining the yard and house are getting to become a chore I will admit. We have been talking about downsizing as there are just two of us in a 5 bedroom house. The only thing the basement is being used for since the kids grew up is the train room and a place for the kids to store their stuff that they haven't got room for.

When we purchased our home it was our first and only during our married years. It was a new Realtor's spec home and the smallest footprint in the neighborhood and the floor plan was a design winner in the 1970's and the Builder used quality materials on the exterior.

We when through all the stages of home ownership....apartment to first home, then thinking about a larger home and then considering down sizing (switching) to a Condo. After doing the math its cheaper to stay in our own home than pay Condo HOA fees, monthly maintenance and escrow for future replacements/repairs. Besides, what's in the Condo itself requires the homeowner to repair or replace items just like a regular home.

At home with 3/4 of an acre of grass to cut and a 20 x 100 feet driveway to snow-blow. In spring, I'll start the search for a lawn service fo mow the grass and then worry about the snow. Pay to have the hard stuff done.

Cathy's Packer room in the basement at 800 plus square feet of finished space would be hard to replace, even when use the bar area maybe twice a year or so!!!

If we do any move, the move will be selling the cabin and purchasing something where it's warmer during the winter months like one the dessert areas. The cabin is a well worth it money pit, but I'm doing most of the work so far.

Greg

###############

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back