Running Bear's January 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Spent until noon at the school. Afterwards I went to Lowes for a variety of items that ended costing me $123 (but I did save $18 for Mil discount). I went to change the blade on my Milwaukee circular saw and ended up busting the locking mechanism because the blade nut is on so tight. :mad: I shouldn't need it until layout time again so I have plenty of time to return it for repair. Tomorrow I hope to finish the garage door opener (need more hands).

Willie- Nice details and scenes.

Jim- Nice photos. Thanks for the info on the 0-8-0.

Johnny- Sounds like you found a keeper.

Beady- Interesting.

Greg- In years past I used long shank couplers for passenger cars because of a tight radius I had.

Sherrel- How's the new used truck?

I hope everyone has a good night.

OK, I'm finally ready to begin work on the second table. First, a review.

This is table 1. There's a freight yard and a locomotive yard, both of which really need some tinkering; I want to fill up the areas between the two yards and behind the roundhouse.
2020y1M13d18h38m40s.jpg

Oversized locos, mainly steam, go directly over the turntable into a special yard:
20200116_161806.jpg

You also see the double-crossover where the two outer loops are going to connect. BTW, I'm not using remote turnouts in the freight yard; I've got everything I need but the wiring would look pretty messy (I may change my mind later):
20200116_161757.jpg

This is how the freight yard connects to the inner loop.
20200116_161819.jpg

Here's all of the single track I've got left, including bridges and viaduct (I'm not even thinking about using double-track, although I'd like to use the bridges - I like bridges).
20200116_161844.jpg

Haven't said much today - just trying to figure out why people cannot change their "Title" underneath the Avatar? And reading all the various posts ... I am so far behind!
I did manage to pick up the payment from the insurance company for my participation in this years demo derby! Deposited it in the bank ASAP, HA.
Stopped at the grocery store and HD for a "honey doo" project and also bought a gallon of insect spray to beat back the Black Widows which will come with the warmer weather.

It struggled up to 60 today - forecast was for 59 ... how are they able to get that close?
It looks as if the forecast "possible" showers will miss us tomorrow.

Curt - Thanks for asking about the truck. I have to say that I like it - it is what it is!
In some respects, I like it better than my wrecked version - in other ways I don't - I think it's the comfort factor - I was comfortable with the older one.
It seems that there is not as much room inside, shoulder to shoulder,as the Dacrapa.
The Ford sits a little higher and rides a little more rough.(could be the tires)
The power door locks work where the Dakrapa had quit.
The heater works great where the Dakrapa was clogged up.
The Ford is more "peppy" - The Dacrapa was quieter.
All in All - Hopefully it will last me as long as I need it too, or as long as I last?

The Spousal Unit and I went up the hill to the daughters house for dinner last evening. We enjoyed a nice salad, barbeque ribs, and chocolate cake. It was delightful!
I do like the color and the extended cab rear doors.

Willie - that is an unreal number of stops on a shopping trip - made me tired reading about it. You must make a list - I would forget half of the places?

Beady - Don't think I have commented on your "tables" -- The layout looks good!
You have a ton of stuff!

Returning your set to the previous program.

Beady - Don't think I have commented on your "tables" -- The layout looks good!
You have a ton of stuff!

Returning your set to the previous program.
I am, quite frankly, surprised and appalled at how much I've over-purchased. It's aggravated by the fact that two or three of the steamers require larger turn radii, meaning most of my curved track can't be used. At least, not in the current setup. And then there's all the rolling stock, but that's for another post. Don't get me started on the scenery. Needless to say, I'll be renting a table at a train show in the foreseeable future.

Have to ask opinion on this.Club modules are cork roadbed on plywood and I see a lot of foam on plywood. Pros/cons to the foam for a layout. Do some use cork on the foam or put the track tight on the foam.

Tom, my 2 cents is as follows. 1/2 to 3/4 inch foam is ok for any layout wherever the track is not supported. Under the track it must be supported , Otherwise it will sag over time. There needs to be some sort of structural support (plywood, spline, etc.) As far as roadbed is concerned, I much prefer cork vs the newer foam roadbeds. Again, more rigidity.
My last set of modules used spline, with 1/2 inch foam, then cork roadbed on top. They were built to be as light as possible, and have been exhibited since 2005 at various train shows with no structural issues in the trackwork at all! Here is some pics of the "bones". The tracks run over the spline/foam/cork sandwich and can support me!

spline.jpg
both in the garage.jpg

They are 12 ft long (2 6-ft sections) and made almost entirely out of Luan plywood, masonite, 1x1s and 1x3 legs.

I just found out that my brother's wife isn't expected to live through the night. She's been in the hospital for about 4 days getting progressively worse. I'll probably be heading up to VA tomorrow so I won't be in the forum for awhile.

Terrible news Curt. Drive carefully.

Beady: Not for nothing, your layout looks nice.

Karl: Like the benchwork. Great technique.

Today, I put a lot of "Medical Miles" on my truck. I drove my wife over to Little Silver for her Infusion Treatment . She had a 0845 appointment. Bonus, got to see a couple of NJT's rush hour "Coast Line " Bi-level trains powered by ALP-46s. While enroute, we received a call that her mother was being transported to the Hospital for "Unspecified Pain". Since this was the second infusion scheduled exactly 7 days after the first treatment, she could not cancel. Meanwhile, I had to drive over tp Freehold, to my Orthopedic doctor, for my second injection of Gelsyn-3 into each knee. He also drained fluid from the left knee. Went home, changed, then went back to Little Silver, to pick up the wife, then back to Freehold to the hospital to check on her mom. The MIL was upset that the wife didn't drop everything and run over to tend to the MIl, and that the attending physician didn't give her enough Morphine to ease her pain. About that time, they wheeled her off to x-ray, and the wife spoke to the doctor, then we left. Wife's treatment will cause a strong reaction over the next couple of days, but if the treatment works, she's good for six to twelve months. Meanwhile, I have more PT tomorrow, and she will be dealing with the MIL. I have another pair of injections next Thursday plus PT M-W-F of next week. The MIL is the wild card.
My timeline for knee surgery is 6 to 12 months. Today, the Dr. recommended I do both at once, that way the proceedure, rehab etc is not repeated a couple months apart. Sort of makes sense, since both knees are equally bad, even though only one is generally a problem.

Bottom line is I'm going to remain scarce from these parts.

Boris

Terrible news Curt. Drive carefully.

Beady: Not for nothing, your layout looks nice.

Karl: Like the benchwork. Great technique.

Today, I put a lot of "Medical Miles" on my truck. I drove my wife over to Little Silver for her Infusion Treatment . She had a 0845 appointment. Bonus, got to see a couple of NJT's rush hour "Coast Line " Bi-level trains powered by ALP-46s. While enroute, we received a call that her mother was being transported to the Hospital for "Unspecified Pain". Since this was the second infusion scheduled exactly 7 days after the first treatment, she could not cancel. Meanwhile, I had to drive over tp Freehold, to my Orthopedic doctor, for my second injection of Gelsyn-3 into each knee. He also drained fluid from the left knee. Went home, changed, then went back to Little Silver, to pick up the wife, then back to Freehold to the hospital to check on her mom. The MIL was upset that the wife didn't drop everything and run over to tend to the MIl, and that the attending physician didn't give her enough Morphine to ease her pain. About that time, they wheeled her off to x-ray, and the wife spoke to the doctor, then we left. Wife's treatment will cause a strong reaction over the next couple of days, but if the treatment works, she's good for six to twelve months. Meanwhile, I have more PT tomorrow, and she will be dealing with the MIL. I have another pair of injections next Thursday plus PT M-W-F of next week. The MIL is the wild card.
My timeline for knee surgery is 6 to 12 months. Today, the Dr. recommended I do both at once, that way the proceedure, rehab etc is not repeated a couple months apart. Sort of makes sense, since both knees are equally bad, even though only one is generally a problem.

Bottom line is I'm going to remain scarce from these parts.

Boris
My wife has been taking infusion treatments for almost 6 months, now, every three weeks. She has virtually no immune system, and we have no real idea when it crapped out on her. OTOH, the almost monthly sinus infections she kept getting haven't happened since the therapy started. At first, every treatment took four hours but now they're down to 2-1/2 hours. They're nice folks there; they let me stretch out for a nap whenever a recliner is vacant. BTW, we keep getting insurance statements saying that each treatment runs about $17k, but that we owe nothing.

Looks like another storm is coming in for the weekend, from Friday evening to Saturday evening. 4" to 7" of snow expected, with a glaze of ice on top. Well, car is ull of gas, refrigerator, pantry and rum bottle are full. I'm ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back