Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
1571996464693.png

1571996486414.png

PRR Modeler, If Roxy was "miffed" at you, she'd be pointed the other way with her tail up!

Just looked at my up coming weather and I don't see any precipt in the next 10 days. However, it is going to head below freezing at night and next Wednesday we will be lucky if we get above freezing. Average is supposed to be in the high 40s, low 50s. Yes, I know, I choose to live in Central Minnesota. Have a good one, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave my Mom a 1989 K-car 4 door sedan. I got it in exchange for services rendered. My Mom did not want to have the expense of having a vehicle, she would not accept a car I bought for her. This turned out to be perfect! It did not cost me much for insurance, I never had to do anything to it other then regular maintenance and she loved it. She drove it for several years until she no longer felt comfortable driving. I guess we got lucky.

If I remember correctly it had a Mitsubishi engine. What ever it was it ran great.

2020-ram.jpg
Hiya gang!
The problem with the Colorado and the Ranger is that they are almost as big as a full sized truck, cost as much, and get worse mileage!
(Yes, I still love my little S-10)
But if I was gonna buy a new truck......

and I work for Chevy!

My grandfather (mom's dad) worked for Detroit Diesel (at the time a GM subsidiary) and always drove Dodges. I asked an uncle why that was and he said it was because the Detroit area GM dealers were harder to deal with than the Dodge dealers and he got the same employee discount in either place.

And while I am still a couple of years (I hope) away from getting a new to me truck, I've noticed that the full size rigs are getting better mileage than my 1st gen Colorado. My only concern is will it fit in the garage.

Patrick.. My house was built in 2007 and I know a full size truck will not fit in a three car garage.
Speaking of milage - this V-6 that I have does not get the mileage that a V-8 does. My neighbor in Laughlin had the same model except his was a V-8.

Good morning from very windy land! The Santa Anna winds are in full bloom today - it started about noon yesterday and blowing so hard that it woke me at 4 AM. Temp is 79* expected to reach 94* this afternoon. I;ll turn on the local news and watch the fires for awhile - praying that they stay away from here?

Morning all,

That's what I get for playing catch up and responding to one. Miss a day and you can miss a lot!!

Sherrel: I don't doubt the V8 gets better mileage. In the mid-80's I worked for a company that bought 4-cylinder (2.5 l) Chevy Astro vans (cargo model) because they were supposed to get better mileage. You couldn't get anything but the V6 (4.3 L) in a passenger\conversion model. I was having too many transmission issues due to the engine not having enough power to move the vehicle and the fleet manager was telling me I was driving it wrong. I made a bet with him and paid out of pocket to get the v6. Fuel mileage went up 3 miles per gallon and no more trans troubles. I got my money back and they started ordering the V6. 2 years later, GM only put the v6 in those vans.
The larger engine has less work to do to move the machine.

It's current 40* and rainy outside near Doo-Dah. Supposed to be sunny this afternoon with a high of 55*. 60* and sunny tomorrow and then it gets colder with a possibility of flurries early next week. I guess it is nearly November.

BTW: 60 days to Christmas....

JOE - Sorry about your knees/legs on getting in/out of your truck. What you said is another reason that I hope to keep this old girl running a little longer - it's easy to get in and out of, and the dogs can make it easy too! My almost 13 YO is starting to have a slowdown getting in/out of the vehicle, but she always wants to go and hang her head out the window as far as she can reach - no matter the temperature.

P.S. I had one of those maybe 15-20 degree driveways --- I really disliked it!

Good morning everyone. 44 and still raining - it's rained since Wednesday night without a letup!! Supposed to stop this afternoon, then more on Saturday morning before we finally get clear skies again. Those of you out there in other parts of the world - - is the sun still there?!?

Patrick, Louis, Flip, Sherrel, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments yesterday.

Now that Grandpa duty is done for a little while, and the crafts have been sent off to fill that New York order, and have all my wood crafts ready for next week's craft fair here - - maybe I can get back into the train room and work on the layout, and get that ranch house built -- ya think?

I'll lurk over the weekend, and maybe have some photos to post Monday.

My coffee pot is calling my name!

Have a good day everyone.

JOE - Sorry about your knees/legs on getting in/out of your truck. What you said is another reason that I hope to keep this old girl running a little longer - it's easy to get in and out of, and the dogs can make it easy too! My almost 13 YO is starting to have a slowdown getting in/out of the vehicle, but she always wants to go and hang her head out the window as far as she can reach - no matter the temperature.

P.S. I had one of those maybe 15-20 degree driveways --- I really disliked it!

Sherrel: That's another consideration. Remember the old (Nissan?) commercial? The theme was "Dogs like trucks!

Dogs and vehicles, My Dalmatian, Mickey was a great "road dog". He road with me almost always. My English Cocker Spaniel, Bessy was another great "road dog". My Beagles are not good road dogs, Sophie looks like she will have a heart attack at any minute and Tucker can't keep still for a second. Just a 5 minute trip to the Vet has them going crazy!

Since I myself was a "road dog" the name seemed perfect for my dogs, but not my beagles.

In the service industry a "road dog" is mobile technician. At least it is or was in the Baltimore/Washington metro area.

Walk-up 10-24-2019.jpg

I finished the second residential structure for the East side industrial area last night. Some finishing touches remain, but it's mostly done. The vehicles are AHM plastic generic cars from the 80s and don't match the quality level used by Chet and Willie, but for now, make the street look like it's used. The white over red one resembles a 70s Buick Riviera and the other a Chevy II. Close enough until I find better. The cafe could use a sign, and the block could use a street light. The era is 1968 to 1976 (Penn Central), so I have some leeway in what I use, and I still have a lot to do.

Boris

HEY GUYS -- I had forgot about that Nissan commercial. That's Great!

JOE -- That's some good looking work! Some very realistic structures there.

Looking forward to some more good baseball - pulling for the Astros today - hope it goes the whole 7 games, but the way that Washington is playing it may be over quickly?

Good Morning All. 43° and totally cloudy, dark, and misty. The 100% chance of 2" of rain yesterday turned into 2.75" starting around 11:00. Slow sporadic but steady all afternoon and most of the night. Ground was so dry that we had no runoff; everything soaked in. While more showers are in the forecast, there's nothing imminent on the radar yet. The forecast is for only an additional .25". Anticipate seeing the sun on Sunday. Temperatures between 45° and 50° for the next 36 hours and then into the upper 60's Saturday. I need to get some more firewood into the house to dry; fortunately it doesn't take long because it only gets wet on the outside!:)

Today is a pancake kind of day Flo, with a substantial amount of bacon on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments for the Magnuson vehicle yesterday; Sherrel, Clint, Johnny, Chet, Phil, Tom, Jerome, Garry, Louis, Patrick.

After the grocery/beer trek yesterday, I did some household chores before venturing through the rain to the train shed. Glued together the two main body parts of the Magnuson crew cab pickup and then after a bit more trimming, I applied the first coat of primer. Set it aside for now. While I mull over the (final) track arrangement that I posted the other day, I started to apply scenery materials to that blank brown area on the aisle side of the tracks.
What to do with the remaining area between the Dew Duck 'N cafe and the already developed area to the south? I had been contemplating a derelict structure, I had been cutting up some leftover laser-cut "sprues" for the last couple of days to make a rundown barn on an overgrown lot surrounded with a barbed wire fence. I am just not sure whether or not it would actually fit in at the selected location. It's a bit close to town, although around here there are actually plenty of examples.
10-25-19 001.JPG

10-25-19 002.JPG

10-25-19 003.JPG

That gash in the upper wall will go with some missing roof panels and will have a tree growing through it. Some more "stressing" is coming up as I develop it some more. Not really doing anything with the back wall since it won't be readily visible
10-25-19 004.JPG

10-25-19 005.JPG

I am going to finish out the barn and contemplate whether or not I will locate it there. It fits in with all of the foreground scenery (or will); but I'm not sure if it will fit with the area across the tracks.

Sherrel -
As much as I complain about the state of affairs out here, I feel the same ... don't think I could survive another move!
Put a Trump campaign sign in your yard and maybe the state will move you out, all expenses paid!
I guess that with the new PGE policy, you know if you're in a fire zone by seeing if your lights come on!o_O
BTW, beautiful Frisco pictures. I always remembered that they kept somewhat clean locos until close to the takeover.
Mikey - Mack doesn't need the extra publicity my layout would give him. He has been a legend in Houston for more than 20 years. Mattress Mack.
Chet - You're right about the colored Magnuson models. It will take me a while to do this one, because I'll set it aside and not pick it back up for days at a time. Like right now! However I already have it (and about half a dozen others), so I will slowly build it. Besides needing structures, I need a lot more vehicles...more pickup trucks and less convertibles.
Joe - Absolutely correct in your observation regarding early kits and current RTR stuff.
Garry - Have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day. Well, it's late as once again I forgot to hit "Post reply" when I got done with this diatribe. It's now light outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back