Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leasing = Rent to Not Own. We've leased one car in our lives and will never do it again. We paid in full for our house and present car, which cut our retirement savings in half, but we own both outright with no mortgage or other payments (well, taxes but that should go without saying).

Yeah. I am not a fan of leasing. I've leased two cars and bought them out when the lease was up (one was 2 years and 1 was a business car I bought personally after the lease was up -- business leases make sense due to the way write-offs work)

45F at 6:30AM. I don' think it changed much during the night. Forecast is to get to 60F today with partly cloudy. Will be warmest day since mid week last week, and supposed to get colder again. I relented and turned the heat on Sunday morning, 11 days earlier than I planned to (I always wait until Nov 1). I did it because we were having (and forecast to have) a longer cold spell with cloudy/rainy/"frozen-mix" weather forecast that would be harder to recover from during the day. One or two days of cold we can suffer through in October but longer it is harder. Happy wife, happy life.

Tumeric / Curcumin is supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory. My wife's doctor mentioned it to her when they were talking about some finger joint issues (where she just had tests that ruled out rheumatoid arthritis). I already knew that but it was good validation to hear it from her doctor. I've been taking a couple tumeric pills a day for years now myself.

Hey, Louis - I agree with Chad about Tumeric and Curcumin as natural anti-inflammatories. I also drink dark cherry juice (a glass a day - bitter, but hey, it's better than pain and swelling!!) and I take cherry supplements (for gout and some other arthritis-type issues).

Beady, when I was a boy, Baltimore was almost nothing but ethnic neighborhoods. They each would have separate festivals in the inner harbor. I still have a beer stein I won at the German Festival!

We still call the areas, Greek Town, Little Italy, etc. but they no longer have many immigrants.

I now live in an old Polish neighborhood. A Polish flag flies over the local cemetery and my elderly next door neighbors, Gracina and Yanosh are both from Poland.

The culture of each neighborhood may have been different, but we could all communicate with each other. I should qualify that, most of the people I grew up with were second and or third generation immigrants, like me.
Every single person reading and writing these posts is an nth-generation immigrant. One of my grandmothers came through Ellis Island and settled in an area that was settled mainly by Germans. Her sons, including my father, didn't learn English until they entered public school. Yet, nowadays, you'd have to search for someone around here who speaks fluent German.

For a while in my early 20s, I lived in a small coal-mining town in Pennsylvania. The town itself, Shenandoah, was/is fully integrated (although most non-European denominations were completely absent). Yet, the old cultures made odd appearances. For example, all of the fire fighters were volunteers, and which firehouse ("hose company") you joined was determined by your ethnicity: Irish, Jewish or Polish. You didn't want to be on the streets if the Poles got called out right after "Taras Bulba" was on TV (a frequent occurrence).

Last edited:
Three years ago, I miss that little happy house!
1571756661544.png

I always like that Atlas Lumber Yard and in fact ordered one from a vendor on E Bay, but never assembled the model since on the layout I don't have a spot for the building until I expand with the new yard area.

Nice models everyone.

Greg

Last edited:
Hey, Louis - I agree with Chad about Tumeric and Curcumin as natural anti-inflammatories. I also drink dark cherry juice (a glass a day - bitter, but hey, it's better than pain and swelling!!) and I take cherry supplements (for gout and some other arthritis-type issues).

Thanks Johnny, I've heard of cherry juice for gout. I've never tried it, I avoid all fruit juices on account of being diabetic. I have also been advised by my kidney doctor to not take any supplements, but thanks all the same!

Speaking of culture, my mother's parents were second and third generation Germans and German was spoken in their homes and communities. They wanted to teach me the language, but my father objected to the idea.

My father's mother was third generation and could understand some basic German.

I wish that I had learned the German language when I was young since I am of 100% German/Prussian ancestry.

Greg

I wish that I had learned the German language when I was young since I am of 100% German/Prussian ancestry.

Greg
My grandmother's maiden name was Stakowski. She was from West Prussia, which is what you said when you didn't want to admit to being Polish. My grandfather's family was from Kiel, near the Danish border; I figure the only reason I'm not part Danish is that the Germans were probably the last army to march through before the border became permanent.

Morning all (although it may be afternoon by the time this actually gets posted),

Enjoying the pictures of your layouts and old trains and scenery.

Speaking of ethnic neighborhoods, I am 4th generation Polish and actually miss the food I grew up having as a kid. While places here serve "polish" sausage, it's always just a decent hot dog.

Three of my four grandparents were born in Ireland and emigrated to the US in the early 1900's. They always had to speak English when growing up.

If I remember the story correctly, my mother's maternal grandmother and grandfather came from Norway, and they made their kids speak English all the time, even at home, once they became school aged. (Her paternal grandparents also came from Norway but I don't know of a similar story there). They had a whole slew of relatives that also lived here that had come over from Norway, but the kids still had to speak English as I recall the story.

Good afternoon. Started off at 41 degrees with overcast skies this morning, but the sun came up and new we're in the mid 50's.

IBKen - Hope your wife is improving.

Louis - Good photos as usual. Like the photo of the old place. Trick or treaters must have enjoyed it. I have been here for 42 years and have yet to see any kids stop by on Halloween.

Beady - Really like some of the old train ads you posted.

Chad - I like your collection of trains. Sure wish I had the time to ride on them when I visited the country. You brought up a sore subject for me. Language and present day immigrants. My grand parents on both sides came over from Europe and like most immigrants who came through Ellis Island like mine did, the learned English and were proud of being able to learn the language and became citizens. When I was a cop in Florida, we had an officer who had parents come to the US from Cuba before Fidel took power. He also did not want his kids to speak Spanish when they had company and they got a good a## chewing if they did. They all spoke excellent English without any accent.

Johnny - Hood photos. I picked up my lumber yard close to 30 years ago. That kit has been around for a long time and has excellent detail for the time it was introduced.

Willie - I just can't say enough about the variety of buildings and businesses you have on your layout. You cease to amaze me. Thumb up.gif

Patrick - I am also Polish. Funny you should mention ethnic food. The reason I am checking in is because I've spent a bit of time in the kitchen today. After having to visit the vampire again for another blood draw this morning, I made another batch of perogies. Here are some of them. They are a pain in the but to make so when I do make them, I make quite a lot and freeze them. When I was living in Florida, I could get some and I did help both of my grand mothers make them when I was a kid. When I moved back to Montana the only way I could get any was to make them myself. After a couple of tries I got the recipe down. (it is not written, but in my head) Love them. Guess what's for dinner tonight. Think we'll have some keilbasa with them.

thumbnail_20181031_121849.jpg

I did learn a lot of the language but not having used it for many years, rusty doesn't cover it. At one time I did speak 8 languages. Had 4 years of French in school and picked up Italian and Spanish (European) quite easily. From the Polish Ukrainian and Russian also came fairly easy. I was quite fortunate to be able to grasp languages easily. In the Navy we travels to 73 different countries and was able to get along quite well in many of them. I never missed the chance to enjoy the ethnic meals when I was over seas. Louis mentioned food festivals. I attended three different electronic schools in Great Lakes, Illinois and loved going up to Milwaukee for their festivals. Greg could probably chime in and tell me what the name was.

In Europe, it is quite common for people to speak multiple languages. One thing I always tried to do was to learn and use the language of the country I was in if at all possible instead of expecting people to speak or understand English.

Gotta get out of here and clean up the kitchen before the wife gets home.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back