Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All.
Wow, all I can say is this is a very diverse diner. Topics are just so interesting.
My father was born in Ireland, me mother in Scotland. They both came to America in the 30's. They both spoke English, but my Dad had the brogue. Dad got his citizenship by serving as a US Army Ranger during WWII. Purple Heart, Bronze Star. So it is my opinion that coming here, to America, is great but, you need to learn the language, adopt the American Constitution, follow our laws, and in the end become an American citizen.

Good Evening:

Not for nothing, but many new arrivals are afraid to abandon their birth culture and language due to community peer pressure. They just don't know any better, and no one is interested in helping them. My next door neighbor is Brazilian, while his wife is Portuguese. The woman, is reluctant to interact with the neighbors, and she and her kids spend a lot of time in their old neighborhood... These are nice folks, both work, but she has that subliminal fear of being out of place. BTW: This neighborhood has been very diverse for the 36 years it has existed, so it's not that they are intruders.

I do agree that anyone who lives in an ethnically homogeneous neighborhood, will have a more difficult time accepting folks who are different from themselves, than a diverse neighborhood. Otherwise, there is nothing with ethnically homogeneous neighborhoods, especially the availability of ethnic foods.

BS12m at Wilmington EH on 5 spur.jpg

Three Baldwin BS12m switchers, delivered for road switcher service, stand by on #5 Spur track, at Wilmington DE Enginehouse, in 1965.
These brutes were used on road locals on the New Castle Secondary and the Delmarva Branch.

Boris

Howdy ...

Long day here .... It started with an 8:00 am appointment at the dentist which lasted over two hours. ..... More expensive dental work. ... Then there were too many other things going on.

Finally I am at the computer .... I just read your posts and saw your interesting pictures.

Too late in the day to say much more........ Have a good night.

Once again, I am in the lead here as far as posting first here on this thread on this particular day! I beat Bruette! I have nothing of significance to say except, Flo, some flap jacks O.J. and black coffee and you look well rested this morning!

Good morning It's mostly clear and 43.
We have all the track laid down and soldered together on the new layout, and I ran trains for several hours on it to (hopefully) make sure there are no bugs in it. The original plan calls for a single short siding to store cars. I modified the plan slightly, and installed a second siding next to the original. We may or may not stick with the original building list, we'll see what the layout looks like when we get to the point of building and adding structures.

Three of my four grandparents were born in Ireland and emigrated to the US in the early 1900's. They always had to speak English when growing up.

Willy, you and I have a lot in common.

Three of my grandparents were born in Ireland.

My Mother's mother was from a fishing village in County Cork, Ireland. Her father came from Lower Saxony, Germany.

Both of my biological father's parents were Ulster Irish, "hillbillies".

Terry, I have been keeping up with your venture into N scale, somewhat, very informative. Have you started a thread in the N scale forum? If not and you have time it would be a great resource for those who are interested.

Speaking of culture, my mother's parents were second and third generation Germans and German was spoken in their homes and communities. They wanted to teach me the language, but my father objected to the idea.

My father's mother was third generation and could understand some basic German.

I wish that I had learned the German language when I was young since I am of 100% German/Prussian ancestry.

Greg
GREG - My grandparents were German as well. Came to the US in about 1906 and started a little mom-n-pop grocery store. My dad was born in the US. My grandparents spoke almost nothing but English but once in a while would revert to German. In high school I voluntarily took German just so I could show them I learned "their" language. Took every German course my college offered, too, and became quite fluent. Years of disuse took its toll and today I have a pre-schooler's ability in German. But, later in life I learned Spanish and am completely fluent in that language today. Oh, well.

Good morning everyone. 46 and dark:D. Will be sunny and upper 60s today, but then the bottom drops out tonight and tomorrow - wind and rain all day tomorrow, maybe some local flooding. Weekend looks good, though.

Willie, Garry, IB Ken, Flip, Sherrel, Ken, Chet, Patrick, Louis, Wheeler, Chadbag, and anyone I may have missed - thanks again for your likes and comments on my progress photos on the lumberyard area.
Louis - I like your photos from yesterday. I model NY Central mid-1950's, so I like anything NY Central.
Willie - Don't know if you're in for another storm today. One will be hitting us tonight and tomorrow, and I think it's coming from the SW

Great Board dinner last night, but it meant we didn't get home until late. Too late to do anything in the train room. Do need to get back to the modeling workbench and continue work on that ranch house. Also want to do some landscaping on the northside area of the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Louis - Good photos as usual. Like the photo of the old place. Trick or treaters must have enjoyed it. I have been here for 42 years and have yet to see any kids stop by on Halloween.

In Europe, it is quite common for people to speak multiple languages. One thing I always tried to do was to learn and use the language of the country I was in if at all possible instead of expecting people to speak or understand English.

Gotta get out of here and clean up the kitchen before the wife gets home.

Later

Chet, the thing I love the most about Halloween is handing out candy to the happy kids in their costumes and getting to know them a little bit. Halloween can bring neighbors closer to each other.

On the 4th of July 2018 I made a mistake. Like every 4th I skip meals to have "liquid" meals, Jameson and National Premium. I was steaming crabs on the side of my house near the front yard. My old friend decided to "rattle my cage", he asked me what do you think of the world cup? My reaction was … unfortunate. I replied in my drill sergeant voice as my son-in-law calls it "F&%$ the world cup!" I was out of ear shot of my other party goes, but the neighbors, Spanish neighbors were just across the street playing with a soccer ball. After that they were leery of me, to say the least.

When Halloween came their kids were gathering in their yard in their costumes as I sat on my front steps with a big bowl of candy. I called them over to give them candy, they were hesitant, but finally came. :) When they returned from trick or treating I called them over again to give them more candy. Finally they felt comfortable with me. Their parents were still not fully at ease and avoided eye contact with me. When Christmas season came around I sent them a Christmas card and that finally broke the ice. Now we smile and wave at each other and even talk sometimes.

My Spanish neighbors are good people. They were also having a 4th of July party and even after my outburst they invited my grandsons to swim in their in-ground pool. They spoke to my daughters to invite my boys. My boys had a great time with them and even ended up playing soccer in their front yard.

You are a man of many talents. I struggle with foreign languages. I took 2 years of French in junior high school. I passed with good grades, but retained nothing I learned. My wife and kids speak Hungarian, (Magyar) and all I can do is identify words. I know what they are talking about, but I can't hold a conversation.

Good Evening:

Not for nothing, but many new arrivals are afraid to abandon their birth culture and language due to community peer pressure. They just don't know any better, and no one is interested in helping them. My next door neighbor is Brazilian, while his wife is Portuguese. The woman, is reluctant to interact with the neighbors, and she and her kids spend a lot of time in their old neighborhood... These are nice folks, both work, but she has that subliminal fear of being out of place. BTW: This neighborhood has been very diverse for the 36 years it has existed, so it's not that they are intruders.

I do agree that anyone who lives in an ethnically homogeneous neighborhood, will have a more difficult time accepting folks who are different from themselves, than a diverse neighborhood. Otherwise, there is nothing with ethnically homogeneous neighborhoods, especially the availability of ethnic foods.
Boris, you hit the nail on the head, as usual.
View attachment 40838
Three Baldwin BS12m switchers, delivered for road switcher service, stand by on #5 Spur track, at Wilmington DE Enginehouse, in 1965.
These brutes were used on road locals on the New Castle Secondary and the Delmarva Branch.

Boris

Great picture and I always love the details you provide, thank you!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 55 with 83% humidity under sunny skies in southeast Baltimore.

I'm feeling much better after some light activity, thank God. Sitting still is the worst thing I can do for my aches and pains. This beautiful weather can't hurt either!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Morning All. Looks like 53° and clear this morning. Another day of lower 80's and then 100% chance of rain tomorrow and into Friday with a high in the mid-60's. Headed out today for a picnic lunch with my SIL and her husband who drove their RV from Tennessee so he could attend his 50th HS reunion. They're camped at Lake Ray Roberts about ten miles from here. His HS is about 65 miles south, midway between Dallas and Ft Worth. Make no mistake about it, fall is officially here now; the local snakes are moving in search of winter quarters and the grasshoppers are moving slowly enough to easily stomp them out. As a youngster in this area, I always knew that the first really cold snap, near freezing but not quite, always occurred on Halloween night while we were out in those flimsy costumes. According to the forecast, it will happen this year as usual. On the other hand, I haven't had a trick-or-treater at this house (or my last one) in 43 years. We always took our kids to the "rich" part of the closest rural town with 900 residents! Those mostly retired folks knew what to expect from all of the nearby farm kids and welcomed everyone with elaborate decorations, exotic costumes and handfuls of candy. For many, it was the social event of the year for them.

Eggs Benedict this morning Flo, with an extra English Muffin and a handful of bacon on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday for the photos of the Walther's structure; Chad, Louis, Patrick, Chet, Tom, Phil, Ken, Garry. I have another of the same model painted differently in another town on a different level that I haven't done the interior yet. That will be the subject of a different post down the road.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I made the final decision regarding the track layout and industries north of the city of Maultown. I'm going to stick with just the two rail-served industries of Mikey's Mattress and the coffin manufacturer; as well as the previously placed but not yet featured Middlesex Manufacturing structure from Atlas.
Here is a rough view.
10-23-19 006.001.JPG

Further left (south) shows part of the Middlesex building.
10-23-19 007.001.JPG

The track that I used is mostly recycled from a previous layout and once nailed down (today I hope) can be painted a semi-uniform color and put into the test mode for a few weeks before ballasting. In the meantime I intend to start the landscaping around the Dew Duck 'N cafe next to the DQ. Still contemplating the area to the left of it, a derelict structure in an overgrown lot might be the best use of that area.

Patrick - Did your sister and niece stay unscathed from the tornado in Dallas Sunday night? It didn't affect too much, it was rather brief.
Johnny - You really did a nice job on the lumber yard, incorporating those two structures into the overall scene. It looks like you've been doing this stuff for years.
Chad - You're getting soft in your advancing age. Heat on eleven days early this year!
Chet -
Willie - I just can't say enough about the variety of buildings and businesses you have on your layout.
Just wait until I start sprucing up the lower level.
Sherrel - I don't recall seeing you post much yesterday. Everything OK?

Just an observation on English as our language. Interesting to note that here in Texas for quite some time now, Mexican immigrants, both legal and illegal rapidly learn English. Several reasons; most fellow residents in their enclaves already know and speak English, jobs pay better and advancement is more rapid if you speak English and fellow Texans treat them with a whole lot more respect. That being said, probably over half of all Texans, including us grumpy old white guys, speak Mexican Spanish and regularly cause dropped jaws when we make a comment to a group of them speaking in their language. This does not hold true for Central American immigrants. They come here with a "holier than thou" attitude and are really slow to adapt to our culture. The Mexican population treats them with an almost racist contempt.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning all,

Willie: They remain unscathed. Thanks for asking.

montanan: I have a polish butcher shop in my old home town that I have kielbasa sent from. They vacuum pack and freeze it when I order, then overnight it to me. The owners great grandfather knew my great grandfather. My great grandfather also opened had a neighborhood market and opened a 2nd when my grandfather was old enough to help. Word on the street was he was part of the local Polish mafia with loansharking and gambling. But those who could confirm such stories were gone before I was old enough to ask about the family history.

I did get a little train time last night. Enough to clean up the inner loop and fix the wiring to it. I still have to get the bridgework on it completed then I'll have 2 complete loops. I still need to get the depot\passing siding and the rail yard in place (the switches are in place). I didn't do a whole lot yesterday, mostly looking in the boxes of the BB kits for a possible part for Mark (np2626). Just not motivated last night once I had some time.

Last edited:
Patrick, I knew some of those ethnic "associations" and did honest work for some of them in Baltimore. From what I knew they started with good intentions; helping new immigrants, provide funding for ethnic small business, etc. The problems began when greedy and power hungry people gained control. Kind of like Washington DC today.

New Haven Railroad Historical and Technical Association, Inc.
High atop the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City, and from a vantage point rarely seen, an A-B-B set of FA-1/FB-1s power up the grade to the main span of the bridge on June 8, 1963. FA-1 0416 is in the lead, looking a little worse for wear.
Note that the track guardrails are only on the outer tracks, and one can barely make out the dinky little airhorn on the roof of the B-unit just in front of the dynamic brake grid. This air horn was only used when the B-unit was being hostled around solo, usually in an engine terminal. But it is rarely seen from trackside due to its location.
Photo by Paul Yurko.
NHRHTA Memberships available at:
https://www.nhrhta.org/membership

1571839491955.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back