Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
elevation changes add interest to a layout and offer the opportunity for additional scenery, trackage and industrial structures.

They can also be used to create separate parts to the railroad i.e. branch lines or even other main lines, within the same layout area. My club uses this method and connects them at yards to provide interchanges between them.
Main line at the top, Branchline (now another interconnecting through line) at the bottom
1571364401540.png

Chet, While I was looking for that club photo, something of interest to you particularly, car wise. Aussie chargers that were supplied to the South Australian State's Highway Patrol, and New South Wales too, 360ci smallblocks with 727 transmissions. The top one is a VK model
1571364710548.png

1571364899550.png

And this one, the last of the type, A CL model.

Hello, haven't had time to read the latest posts, just got back from the hospital. Looks like my wife will be in there for a long time; the surgeon and the GI doc apparently don't have a clue why none of the treatments they ordered are working. If all else fails they'll have to remove her lower colon, which carries the risk of sepsis - hopefully it won't come to that point.

Chrysler Australia's version of the Shaggin' Wagon.
My 2nd car was a full-sized station wagon (remember those?). I've always loved long-distance road trips so the back seat was always down, with a mattress in the bed. It was great for traveling: just pull off the road or into a rest area, shinny over the back of the driver's seat, stretch out and go to sleep. The only drawback was when I'd pick a girl up for a first date; she would think my car was neat but her father would insist I inspect his gun or knife collection, and there was usually a very early curfew.

Toot... That car looks weird.
It's actually a panel van. Weird and wonderful paint jobs were the "go" in the 70's. Very popular with surfers. That one looks like it has a window behind the door, but not so. What made them so popular, was apart from the obvious, was there was a much reduced sales tax on them, by being classed as a commercial vehicle. The "Big 3" all had their versions and after a couple of years started factory painting them as you see. The customisers soon went to work on the interiors. Holden Sandman's in these examples
1571385448524.png
1571385515421.png
1571385562517.png

My old friend Willy, (not to be confused with our Willie) had a 1971 Ford LTD wagon. My friends and I would cram into that big girl when we went to rock concerts. I'm glad I always got to ride "shot gun". It looked like a clown car with so many people coming out of the back. I wish I had more detailed memories, but those days are a bit "cloudy" in my mind.
1571391410576.png

Willy's did not have the wood paneling and his was white.

He painted "90 tons of thunder" on the rear fender after we saw Saxon. He called his baby "the princess of the night"
The song is actually about a train.

And this pretty much sums up the nights of my youth.
Work hard, play hard, party hard and pay later. Thank you God.

Last edited:
With regards to Elijah Cummings, our President and his letter; It appears to that I'm of a different mind than some forum members.

Speaking of Elijah Cummings, I'm in agreement with our President.
"My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings," Trump tweeted. "I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!" Donald Trump

Good morning Everybody!

It's a chilly 49 with 60% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore. I was surprised to see the temperature in the house was still 69. I already switched from A/C to heat, but I don't think the heat came on yet. With the lows forecasted to be in the 40s and 50s all week I doubt that will last.

For the record, I keep my thermostat set at 68 for heat and 74 for A/C.

I finally got the rest of the water out of my pool. I did not have time to monitor the pump the entire time so I disconnected the hose, left the hose submerged and let the laws of nature take it's course. Now all I have to do is clean the pool and store it in my utility room in the basement.

I was really impressed with the versatile water pump I bought from Amazon, but I hope I only need to use it for the pool!

Amazon is opening a new Distribution center in Essex, MD, on my side of town! I have been invited to take a tour, meet the staff and they are going to pay for my time. It's scheduled for 11am this morning and is only supposed to take half an hour. In true Amazon form they are paying me for a full hour. I would have attended for free. It's better to find out how this center will operate before I go to pick up packages.

As many of you know I have been critical of companies for having too many part-time workers. Like always there is two sides of every coin. Not every company with a high ratio of part-time workers is taking advantage of people, but many are.

My wife is the GM of a 24 hour store. She recently heard one of her overnight employees has lost her apartment and is now homeless. This really upset my wife and she needed to talk about it. I asked her "did you ever find another shift leader for the overnight shift?". "No" she replied. I asked "why not". She told me; "nobody stepped up, they can't even show up on time, they call out, never answer their phones when I do have a call out and they won't complete their job duties". My reply; "why are you upset? It's not your store's responsibility to carry people, it's work, not welfare. The opportunity for a full-time position and a substantial raise was there for the now homeless girl to take. People have to accept personal responsibility for themselves".

Of the 12 over night positions at my wife's store, 2 of them are full-time positions, not a good ratio in my book. Of the 2 full-time over night positions, one is still vacant. That is on the other 11 part-timers, not the company.

I would be remis not to mention my wife's company has a shortage of managers. They don't require college degrees. They look at experience and work record as more important than degrees. There are opportunities for people willing to work hard. Even with the flat growth of the last few years the company has over 200 stores, all making profit and is opening more. Despite flat growth the profits have remained steady, it's a profit making machine! I wish would have know about this 30 years ago!

When my wife recruits, trains and promotes associates into management positions she gets a bonus. Almost a dozen of my wife's former assistant managers are now successful store managers and they all began as part-time. Her company is doing all it can to provide a path to prosperity.

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink"

I still believe many companies/corporations exploit workers, I've witnessed it first hand, many times, over many years. On the other side of the coin; people have to take personal responsibility for themselves. They blame Washington, the deep state or some other excuse or explanation that makes them feel better. If you want more, go get it! Like Mike Tomlin said "No excuses, no explanations, just get it done!"

If you don't like what you are doing, do something else, but what ever you do, work hard at it!

Have a great day Everybody!

PS I'm still in favor of some kind of safety nets for those who are unable to take care of themselves or hit an obstacle in life.

Capitalism with a conscience. :)

God Bless you all!

Good Morning All. 48° and clear. A bit chillier than forecasted, but still OK. Near or above 80° for the next three days. Going to make the weekly grocery/beer trek this morning, postponed from yesterday. I went to a retirement luncheon for a former co-worker of 35 years yesterday. It was held at the old plant. It was interesting because I noticed that the newly remodeled lunchroom had one whole wall torn out. It was over a 30' counter intended for microwaves, hot plates and toaster ovens. Contractor had installed twelve outlets, all on one 15 amp circuit! Not sure if this got by the city building inspector or not. In the contractors defense (sort of), no one told him what they would be used for. Sadly, it was the second time that this has happened to my ex-employer in four years! Different building, different contractor last time. After I got home, I spent some time cutting up some seasoned firewood for use this winter. At least the mowing has stopped until it rains again!

How about a sweet breakfast this morning Flo, two apple fritters and OJ.

Thanks for the likes for yesterday's post; Chad, Sherrel, Patrick, Flip, Clint, Tom, Jerome.

Out in the train shed, I worked on several different minor projects before picking up the throttle and running some trains. Added a billboard in between the Fresh Market and Oakleaf Storage.
10-18-19 001.JPG

10-18-19 002.JPG

Today I'll add some weeds around the base.
Further to the south (left) I have a blank area left next to the Dairy Queen.
10-18-19 004.001.JPG

It's about 30" long and is between 2" and 8" deep. I've been trying to determine what to do with it. So I looked at my stash of structures that I have already built and picked out this one which has been a placeholder elsewhere. I built a few structures while the train shed and benchwork were under construction and I dig them out every so often.
10-18-19 007.JPG

10-18-19 006.JPG

Looks like it will fit nicely with a parking area filling in part of the remaining area. This is one half of a DPM "Gold" kit called Poppa Wheelie's Saloon. The other half, a biker bar, is already slated for a different undeveloped area and I always intended to use this as a stand alone business. I'll mull it over for a few days. Only drawback is that there are two other eateries in this stretch of roadway, if you count DQ. However it will continue the eclectic mix of old and new structures in this particular scene.

Karl - Have a safe trip home.
Ken - Prayers and best wishes for your wife continue.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie, your like (thank you) of my club's layout shot, made be go back to see which it was. When I posted it I thought the train in it was someone else's. I had forgotten I had SP Kodachromes. This was also taken when the layout was DC only. Both are Athearn's, the lead #6577 is a GP35 DCC ready w/quick plug, which I realise, I still have, hidden away somewhere (it later got an NCE decoder). The trailing loco is a late bluebox GP40, number forgotten, which although shell, chassis, lighting and drive, are all BB, came with the wire grabs, plastic H/rails installed. It never got DCC'd and eventually got given to a new young member so he had something halfway decent to run.
What "twigged" me to it being my train was the Baby Ruth box car on the end. I remembered that first. It has also gone as well. I'll have to dig the GP35 out and give it a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back