Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry, I think if that traction tire comes off again, I'd just leave it off. There are traction tires on the two flanged wheels on that truck, it sould be more than enough to pull a short train under the tree. You can get a wheel without the groove for the tire machined into it, if you want to have all wheels contact the rails.

Terry .... Thanks for commenting. I did think about simply cutting off the traction tire, but decided to try fixing it. Now, I am thinking of using a small amount of super glue to keep it from coming out again. The engine is about 25 years old, and this is the first time this happened.

Chet ... My 1950's era Lionel train was nearly indestructible. I think it was around 1980 when quality started to go downhill for Lionel. ... Your RDC and your F-units look great.

Curt .... Nice work with the platform.

Dave in PV ... Nice to see you. Your layout construction looks very solid.

We'll see how cold it gets tonight. It was up into the high 50s today, maybe 60 or very low 60s. Now, at 9PM, it is 41F. See if it stays above freezing.

No train work this weekend so far :( My wire for more feeders came in last weekend and has been sitting here looking at me with puppy eyes.

Shinkansen trains in Japan flooded by Typhoon. They just had/have a big Typhoon hit Japan. 10 sets of the Hokuriku Shinkansen were flooded out. These are E7 (and maybe W7) sets that go from Tokyo up to the Hokuriku part of Japan on the other side of the main island. All these have just been put into service in the last few years.

Flooded shinkansen article

Last edited:
Well, CHAD. I clicked the "like" button, but I don't like to hear that kind of news. Shame that they couldn't move them ahead of that! Regardless of your heat program - people are going to wake up with icicles hanging from their nose ..

Glad to see the "curly W" with another win today Disappointed that the Houston team did not bring ball playing skills with them to the game. Now I understand where the term "Damn Yankees" comes from!

Well, CHAD. I clicked the "like" button, but I don't like to hear that kind of news. Shame that they couldn't move them ahead of that!

Yeah, I am not sure how this happened. They were parked, not in service (all service cancelled), in the yard. Maybe they were not expecting the yards to flood. In another forum, someone was wondering why they didn't find high ground or on bridges or whatever to park them. It will be very expensive to refurb these I am guessing.

And it is not like they are older models that would be approaching end of life anyway. The first sets were delivered at the end of 2013 up through the end of 2015, and a last set in 2017.

Good afternoon .....

I fixed the Lionel Alaska locomotive, and it will be ready for Christmas tree duty. The power truck was held in place with two flimsy cotter pins. Both of them broke when I removed the power truck.

Well done Garry! Like I often say "nothing says Christmas like a Lionel train under the Christmas tree!" I can't wait to see this years photos!

Hi gang!
Packing, getting ready to fly to Arizona in the a.m.. Phoenix, then Sedona, then to Williams and the Grand Canyon Railway to the south rim of the Canyon, spend a few days then reverse to home. I'll try to post pics.
House sitter coming by later, will be caring for the critters in out absence, so NO house parties (Terry!)

While we're out there, gonna check out the local markets. (housing/job) Just in case the Kirwin Commission plans come through, I'll be getting my ass out of Absurdistan! Louis, KenL, you both need to keep an eye on this!! (Average MD family facing a $6,000 yearly increase. I'd rather spend 6 grand on a moving truck!)

L8ter gang!
Karl, Godspeed my friend!

Don't worry to much about the Kirwan Commission, their total recommendation is $3.8 billion, that's less than $650 per person. Don't forget about Larry Hogan. He rejected $325 million is spending increases, what do you think he will do about $3.8 billion?

Personally speaking, I'd give them a thousand dollar check right now if they can guarantee an improved education for all of Maryland's kids. It's much cheaper than the 6-18 thousand/year on each child, I spent on privates schools, I didn't even get a tax deduction! I don't even want to think how much I spent on colleges and universities. In my case it was money well spent. All of my kids are doing great. Hmmm, I should hit them up for a few bucks ;)

Terry, call me when the party starts, I can't wait to see what he has in the liquor cabinet!

Well, CHAD. I clicked the "like" button, but I don't like to hear that kind of news. Shame that they couldn't move them ahead of that! Regardless of your heat program - people are going to wake up with icicles hanging from their nose ..

Glad to see the "curly W" with another win today Disappointed that the Houston team did not bring ball playing skills with them to the game. Now I understand where the term "Damn Yankees" comes from!
The Nationals put the Cardinals back to the wall, but the Nats still have to win two more.

With the Orioles being in the AL east, I know all about them damn Yankees! Don't be too hard on the Astros, Tanaka can make any team look bad when he has his good stuff and the Yankee's bullpen is deep!

I kind of like Boris' idea for an Acela series. As long as those damn Yankees lose! Besides, if you want to be the best, you should beat the best. The Nats already took down the NL's best, bring on the Yankees! That is if they get past the Cardinals.

As Yogi would say "It aint over till it's over" GO NATS!

Some of those Astros players are too cocky for me. They showed little respect for my birds. The Yankees showed the birds respect, as they beat us like a rented mule! Like the faithful in Brooklyn would say "wait till next year!"

1570967799337.png

Good Morning y'all. Happy Sunday! Before sunrise temperature was 48° this morning, and the house is 68°. I still feel cold.

Personally speaking, I'd give them a thousand dollar check right now if they can guarantee an improved education for all of Maryland's kids. It's much cheaper than the 6-18 thousand/year on each child, I spent on privates schools, I didn't even get a tax deduction! I don't even want to think how much I spent on colleges and universities. In my case it was money well spent. All of my kids are doing great. Hmmm, I should hit them up for a few bucks ;)

Louis: In Jersey, we have the Abbott ruling, which provides additional funding for "Special Needs" School Districts. The Abbott Decision was mandated by court order, no one got to legislate rules or vote on it. Essentially, funding for urban school districts or high minority enrollment districts, is mandated to be more than double the average funding of property tax supported districts. How it works is the portion of the state Income tax allocated to education goes exclusively to these districts, while other districts have to rely on the local tax base. FWIW, even with all the extra funding, these districts still fail their students. Funding isn't the cure all, just a boon for the politically connected. To have a successful school system, you need three components, students who want to learn, and teachers who want to teach, and parents who care enough to insist that the kids put forth the appropriate effort. So called "Special Needs" districts seem to lack all of these components.

Chet: I enjoyed your photos, the A-B-A looks great. I enjoy your photos from your layout and the club. Stay warm.

[QUOTE="Bruette, post: 464980, member: 4773"]Some of those Astros players are too cocky for me. They showed little respect for my birds.[/QUOTE]

Louis: Last night, on HNIC, Don Cherry deviated from hockey comments to single out an Atlanta player for his on field antics, during the series with St. Louis.
I didn't catch who this outfielder was, (It wasn't Markakis), but it showed him gesturing about slitting his throat, towards a St. Louis player. IMHO, the umpires should have tossed this clown for making a threatening gesture.

Sherrel: I had three Lionel diesels, purchased new beginning around 1955 through about 1958, , a 2-4-2 Diesel snowplow, a SAL NW-2, and a CB&Q painted Alco FA. All had Magne-Traction. I do recall that some of the 1940s era Lionel my buddy ad, did not have it.

Curt: The staining looks good. I like your platform project.

One year ago, today, I was diagnosed with pneumonia, so I'm in much better health this year. However, the seasonal irritants have got my allergies cranking, and the go to allergy pills just aren't working. I will spend time in the trainroom today.

Boris

Good Morning All. 55° and cloudy. Very pleasant day yesterday with 65°, sunny and no wind; so much for the cool spell, 10° higher today and another 10° higher tomorrow. Another brief cool front Wednesday and then back into the 80's for a few days.
Blueberry waffles and bacon this morning Francine. Double down on that bacon.

Thanks for the comments, compliments and likes yesterday regarding the downtown scenes; Mikey, Sherrel, Chad, Garry, Jerome, Phil, Curt, Chet, Justin, Tom, Clint.
I hired a 1/87 plane to take a couple of aerial shots of that downtown area. Excuse the clutter elsewhere in the undeveloped areas.
10-13-19 001.JPG

Visible in this picture is the continuous run "stoop-under" across the entry door to the train shed.
And from another angle.
10-13-19 002.001.JPG

In the upper right of this picture, you can see the area that I have been working on and posting for the past few months.
Another view.
10-13-19 003.JPG

In this view, you can see across the aisle in the upper right, the industrial switching area that I worked on and posted last spring I think it was.

Karl - Have a safe and productive trip.
Chet - I acquired that real estate by adding a small peninsula on a corner of the layout. See above photos.
Clint - Great video finds.

Today, October 13, is National No Bra Day. I celebrate this day every day and would like to observe it every day.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning All. 55° and cloudy. Very pleasant day yesterday with 65°, sunny and no wind; so much for the cool spell, 10° higher today and another 10° higher tomorrow. Another brief cool front Wednesday and then back into the 80's for a few days.
Blueberry waffles and bacon this morning Francine. Double down on that bacon.

Thanks for the comments, compliments and likes yesterday regarding the downtown scenes; Mikey, Sherrel, Chad, Garry, Jerome, Phil, Curt, Chet, Justin, Tom, Clint.
I hired a 1/87 plane to take a couple of aerial shots of that downtown area. Excuse the clutter elsewhere in the undeveloped areas.
View attachment 40496
Visible in this picture is the continuous run "stoop-under" across the entry door to the train shed.
And from another angle.
View attachment 40498
In the upper right of this picture, you can see the area that I have been working on and posting for the past few months.
Another view.
View attachment 40499
In this view, you can see across the aisle in the upper right, the industrial switching area that I worked on and posted last spring I think it was.

Karl - Have a safe and productive trip.
Chet - I acquired that real estate by adding a small peninsula on a corner of the layout. See above photos.
Clint - Great video finds.

Today, October 13, is National No Bra Day. I celebrate this day every day and would like to observe it every day.
Everybody have a great day.
C'mon, it was a Drone that took those photos, wasn't it?

Louis: In Jersey, we have the Abbott ruling, which provides additional funding for "Special Needs" School Districts. The Abbott Decision was mandated by court order, no one got to legislate rules or vote on it. Essentially, funding for urban school districts or high minority enrollment districts, is mandated to be more than double the average funding of property tax supported districts. How it works is the portion of the state Income tax allocated to education goes exclusively to these districts, while other districts have to rely on the local tax base. FWIW, even with all the extra funding, these districts still fail their students. Funding isn't the cure all, just a boon for the politically connected. To have a successful school system, you need three components, students who want to learn, and teachers who want to teach, and parents who care enough to insist that the kids put forth the appropriate effort. So called "Special Needs" districts seem to lack all of these components.

Louis: Last night, on HNIC, Don Cherry deviated from hockey comments to single out an Atlanta player for his on field antics, during the series with St. Louis.
I didn't catch who this outfielder was, (It wasn't Markakis), but it showed him gesturing about slitting his throat, towards a St. Louis player. IMHO, the umpires should have tossed this clown for making a threatening gesture.

One year ago, today, I was diagnosed with pneumonia, so I'm in much better health this year. However, the seasonal irritants have got my allergies cranking, and the go to allergy pills just aren't working. I will spend time in the trainroom today.

Boris

Boris, I agree, throwing money at a problem does little to solve the problem. That is why I qualified my statement, "Personally speaking, I'd give them a thousand dollar check right now if they can guarantee an improved education for all of Maryland's kids"

I'm not aware of any gestures during the games between the Braves and Cardinals. However I did see Ronald Acuna of the braves make that gesture after the Braves won on Sunday. I also saw Yadira Molina of the Cardinals make a similar gesture after the Cardinals won on Monday.

I was equally upset with Juan Soto making little threatening movements toward Cardinals' pitcher Miles Miklos after each pitch. I was happy to see him pop up, although I would have rather seen him strikeout!

In my opinion baseball has no place for any of these "drama queens". I recommend they all switch to soccer so I don't have to see their nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back