Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
John A. Harris - ‎American Saloons, Bars & Taverns
This is a "Ghost Sign" on the Wall of a Building that once housed a long gone Saloon in Baltimore, Maryland. The location of this building is at South Broadway & Shakespeare in the Fells Point district. (Baltimore, MD)
1570877157942.png

Bob Wynn‎ - Baltimore's Past and Present Memories
Traffic and pedestrians line the North Howard Street intersection in Baltimore. F.W. Woolworth Co. is pictured on the right side of the street, in the middle, parallel to the Walbrook streetcar, 1941. Enlarge this photo there's so much to see in this one. The Christmas decorations are up so 'tis the season. Maybe it's Black Friday but before the Pearl Harbor bombing. Some people are decked out in their fur coats and Sunday best and some are in their work clothes. I just wonder if this is a normal Christmas shopping day. What is the National Wave Studio?
1570881454233.png

Last edited:
Good morning y'all:

Another cloudy morning here in paradise. I did not realize that the Nats were playing, or I would have found a place to stream the radio broadcast. MLB and their exclusives to Cable providers makes it difficult to follow if you don't have cable. According to the MLBTV site, Today's Yankees - Houston game will be on Fox (Broadcast) TV. However, the 8PM start competes with Hockey Night...

I don't have a lot planned for today, I switched some cars last night, first time in a couple of weeks. probably do some more work on the structures.

Enjoy the weekend.

Boris

In addition to the ghost sign, note the front brick facade and trim. There are some great modeling ideas contained in this photo.
Boris

Good eye Boris, I had not noticed. That kind of brick work is somewhat common in Baltimore and many of the old row homes have interesting facades. The sad part is many are being neglected and end up being replaced with vinyl siding or some other cheap construction materials.

Good morning y'all:

Another cloudy morning here in paradise. I did not realize that the Nats were playing, or I would have found a place to stream the radio broadcast. MLB and their exclusives to Cable providers makes it difficult to follow if you don't have cable. According to the MLBTV site, Today's Yankees - Houston game will be on Fox (Broadcast) TV. However, the 8PM start competes with Hockey Night...

I don't have a lot planned for today, I switched some cars last night, first time in a couple of weeks. probably do some more work on the structures.

Enjoy the weekend.

Boris
Joe, do you have DVR capability?

Good Morning All. 38° and clear. I know it's clear because I stepped out on to the back porch, beautiful sunrise coming up to the east. I believe we have tied the record low for this date. I did start a fire in the heater last night and let it burn out overnight. It was over 90° outside two days ago.
I ended up adding the spices to the chili yesterday, so I left out the cayenne. Acceptable to my wife so all is good. Froze half and we'll still get two more meals out of the unfrozen half. One of which will be beef enchiladas.

Mexican omelet with lots of spicy salsa this morning, Flo. Throw in a few sausage links on the side along with that big glass of OJ.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments on the pictures of the main drag in Vernon yesterday; Louis, Lee, Chad, Clint, Jerome, Sherrel, Justin, Garry, Joe, Chet, Curt, Tom.

Here's a couple of shots of the downtown area of Maultown, the next town south of Vernon. This is a pretty much stock built Walther's Merchant's Row V. I have since had to glue the warped base to the layout.
12-07-17 012.JPG

06-20-18 014.JPG

The three townhouses on the left are all DPM kits and the structure on the right is a Smalltown kit called Helen's Country Kitchen, which I re-christened as Rudy's BBQ.

So out in the train shed yesterday, once again I only ran trains. I decided late that I am ready for some more modeling or scenery work today. I knew that the period of disinterest wouldn't last long.

Lee - The funeral home looks great, it has seen better days though. Looks like the local gangster took revenge with his machine gun!;)
Chad - 57° inside. And my family thought I was cruel at 65°. However I heat with only a wood burning stove and it can heat the room it's in by 10° in 20 minutes or so, and the adjoining rooms in about 45 minutes. We still used the A/C on Thursday and looking at the forecast we'll use it at least five of the next ten days.
Sherrel - Your traffic mishap reminds me of an incident I had about 20 years ago. No damage whatsoever to my car and the other driver had an already battered bumper. Turns out that we both had the same insurance company and they compared photos from his previous incident (uninsured motorist) and concluded that he didn't replace the bumper after their previous check to him and they denied his claim against me.
Chet - I knew that you were a smoker, but didn't realize that you had quit. Kudos to you and I wish you much success in quitting. You'll save a lot of money as an added bonus. Adding weight is a whole lot easier than losing it. While I haven't added any since retiring, I haven't lost more than ten pounds. Would like to lose 30 more though.
Mikey - Beef is king in Texas BBQ. I like pulled pork just as well, first tried it in Tennessee about 25 years ago at a place in Jackson. I make my own, last week as a matter of fact. In the last five years or so, many BBQ joints around here have added it to their menus.
Phil - Good to see you here again.

Today may or may not be Columbus Day in your area, or it may be Monday if you're a federal employee!

Everybody have a great day.

Anibal Sanchez proved last night that you don't have to have blazing velocity to get hitters out. His ability to hit the target and a good mix of pitches kept the Cardinals off balance most of the night. You have to love a pitcher with 5 different pitches and he has two variations of a couple of them. I love that "butterfly" version of his change up! With Strasburg, Scherzer and Corbin yet to pitch it's going to be an uphill battle for the Cardinals.

I wouldn't count out the Cardinals just yet. They are disciplined hitters, if they can be patient and get into deep counts they could get to the National's bullpen. I would be remiss not to mention the Cardinals have a pretty good pitching staff themselves. I expect this series to go the distance with some more very close games along the way.

No matter who wins the NLCS they will be underdogs to the power house teams in the ALCS, but in reality that means nothing. I love this game!

Good morning Everybody!

It's 60 with 68% humidity under partly sunny skies in southeast Baltimore.

I worked yesterday, my route took me from Severna Park to Arnold, MD. A little spread out, but I only had 26 stops. I was finished in a little over an hour and a half. No complaints, I got paid for 4 hours.

Traveling as far south as Arnold (just north of Annapolis) I got a glimpse of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge traffic. Wow, what a nightmare! I'm glad I don't live on the eastern shore. I got lucky, my route took me south, right up to the traffic and then turned back to the north.

Many people are whining and complaining about the delays on the Bay bridge. Some are blaming our Republican governor. What morons some people can be. The bridge needs maintenance, how is that the governors fault? He has been proposing we build another bridge, but the democratic leadership in the legislature has blocked him at every turn.

Why is it people don't want to see "a good idea is a good idea" regardless of political party? I didn't vote for the governor, I don't like some of the things he does, but for the most part he has done a good job! His canceling of the expansion of the subway system in Baltimore was stupid, especially when the Feds were going to pay nearly half, but his work to improve the highways has been great! He has also done a good job with Maryland's finances. We have one of the largest budget surpluses ever! Our governor is not one of those "broken clock" politicians who are only right twice a day. I have a lot of respect for governor Hogan. I don't always agree with him, but I always respect him. The man has Maryland's best interest at heart.

Why can't so many look past party affiliation and look at the record objectively?

I suppose if we figure that out we will have solved almost every other problem.

The facts are plain to see, right there on the page, in black and white. I guess people see what they want to see or just don't bother to read.

I hope nobody gets upset with me for bringing up politics. I need to vent and this has been about as bipartisan as it gets.

In retrospect, I probably could have avoided letting this get to me, I should have listened to music instead of talk radio in the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back