Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, of course, this famous cartoon, er, official government form:

1570195753145.png

Good morning, Happy Friday! Our extended summer abruptly ended, yesterday, and we will have a few days of Fall to look forward to.

Garry: Penn Central locomotives were not ugly, just utilitarian.

Louis: Caught the WTOP 106 FM broadcast of the Nationals debacle after I watched the very entertaining game between Montreal and Carolina on TV. MLBTV subscribers get to access the local broadcast through the MLB web site. I think that da Bums may be too much for the Nats. Thinking that a Yankees vs. Bums World Series may revive my interest, although that's a really long Subway ride. :rolleyes:

Ray and Louis: Kline's closing their retail outlet really isn't a surprise. I was looking at Trainworld's web site the other day, and noted that their hours at their Brooklyn Store are reduced. I haven't been inside Klein's since they moved from downtown. Just the bridge and highway tolls, not to mention traffic, sales tax and time would nullify any advantage of visiting either of Trainworld's retail stores. The path of least resistance is "click and ship"

Chad: That's an interesting video. A little aggressive marketing never hurt anyone.

Willie: That sander hose is really misrouted...but the level of detail on those motors is fantastic.

Boris

Tim- do you that workshop on pontoons, so that it doesn’t float away, due to all the rain this year?

Heh, yeah. Luckily my house is in a high spot, so I don't even get water in the basement.

Still grey this morning, but not raining at the moment. 48 degrees out, I think fall is here. Didn't get any modeling done yesterday because the family went to watch The Empire Strikes Back accompanied live by the Minnesota Orchestra. Big fun.

My favorite part was when Darth Vader said "Luke, I am your father" and someone in the audience shouted "WHAT?".

LOL

Karl, we topped the charts again!

Maryland once again has the highest annual median income of any state in the union, more than $83,000!

You won't see that in any "people's republic". Go Capitalisim! ;)

Holy Smokes, Batman! Three pages of posts from yesterday afternoon - getting hard to keep up - my reading is "Southern" which is about as fast as my movements lately! Somehow, I pulled something in my left lower back and it is really annoying; if I twist a certain way without thinking, it produces a rather sharp pain.

Johnny - loved the Snoopy cartoon - my feeling exactly ... which reminds me that my Taxman" called and reminded me that I better get my info into him ASAP - I had sorta just forgot about it? BTW, Congrats on your wife's Birthday!
Really liked that shot of the main street on your layout; lots of action and vehicles, people, and such.

JOE: Was disappointed with the Nationals performance. My baseball coach would have benched me if I made any of those "stupid" Fielding mistakes of those guys - letting the ball get by them ... for heaven's sake, lay down in front of the ball! Letting it get past you is unforgettable - don't give me the "it took a bad hop BS" - get in front of the ball!

GARRY - I really laughed at your description of the PC locos. That was funny!

Willie: I was going to comment on the sander hose, but I see that you caught it beforehand.
The detail on those is fantastic.
You're take on the food grazing reminds me that I need to pay a visit to Costco and sample a lunch around the store!

TERRY - Ninteen cars plus cab makes a pretty nice train - good show!

I saw where one of the Collins Foundation - WW2 - B-17's crashed the other day at Bradley Field near Hartford, CT. What a shame - I still have not heard the details; I will see if I can learn what happened?

Welcome to all the newer members of the Coffee SHop! A couple of us OLDER MEMBERS need help!
Please put your name in the "signature line" of your profile - I can't keep up with who is who.
If you really don't want too - that's OK as well ... just makes it easier for me to keep up with who is who.

Johnny, a short walk after eating works for me and I never eat before going to bed. I hope you can keep us posted, we are pulling for you!

Sugar is sneaky, our bodies turn everything we eat to sugar, somethings are quickly converted, ripe fruits, rice, potatoes, white bread. Try to limit those and eat more complex carbohydrates, like whole grains.

Good morning .....

Willie ..... I'm amazed at the detail on the Santa Fe models.
Karl, we topped the charts again!

Maryland once again has the highest annual median income of any state in the union, more than $83,000!

You won't see that in any "people's republic". Go Capitalisim! ;)

Louis .... Where does MD rank in Take Home Pay, taxes, and cost of living ? .... I suspect much of the high paid jobs are next to Washington, DC. ... You should include Ray (Toot) in your list of comedians. The Serial Kidder can be very funny.

Johnny ..... Best wishes as you plan for retirement. ..... Watch out for free advice from those who are trying t sell you something.

Sherrel ..... I'm glad you saw the humor in my comment about PC locos.

Boris .... Utilitarian ....... Okay if you say so...... :rolleyes:

I really hate diabetes! - I wish they could work on finding a cure! My youngest daughter, from Wife's side has had it since age 10 - she is 35 now. The "PUMP" is a lifesaver for her as she just would not keep it under control - spending numerous visits to the ER and passing out uncountable times.
I have lost two cousins to it with another in pretty sad shape at this time. It's terrible!

Must be some of that money that Sleepy Joe and his Son brought back from overseas?
You need a subscription to a reputable newspaper. Tweeter and Facebook are not reputable sources for information.
Honest Joe has a long and proven track record. Aside from putting his foot in his mouth a few times, but those we just politically incorrect, not bold face lies and he lives in Delaware.

Louis .... Where does MD rank in Take Home Pay, taxes, and cost of living ? .... I suspect much of the high paid jobs are next to Washington, DC. ... You should include Ray (Toot) in your list of comedians. The Serial Kidder can be very funny.
I'll bet it is safe to say it's very much higher than the median income in Kentucky, $10,958, according to 2017 Census ACS data.

It's not only DC, Elijah Cumming's 7th congressional district has the third highest income in the state.

I don't know the take home pay of others, but being self employed I never paid more than 20% state and federal combined and I made far more than the median. It's amazing what is deductible, even after being audited and the audits never took more than several weeks. ;)

You are right about King Toot, but his comedy would not lend itself to working as a team.

According to salary.com the cost of living in Baltimore is 21% higher than the national average. When compared to cities of comparable size Baltimore's cost of living ranks in the lower half.

With the exception of the city of Annapolis and Baltimore the other individual cities/counties in Maryland rank far below the national average for cost of living.

It cost me more, but I love my city and the convince of being so close to anything and everything. Property tax and the cost of municipal water is double the cost in surrounding counties in Baltimore, but it's still less than 3% of our income and I only make a fraction of what I use to make. Not to mention retail prices are far below the national average. It's good to be the little/big city in the northeast corridor.

It is the land of pleasant living :)
1570200579245.png

What can I say, I'm a "homer" :)

I'll bet it is safe to say it's very much higher than the median income in Kentucky, $10,958, according to 2017 Census ACS data.

It's not only DC, Elijah Cumming's 7th congressional district has the third highest income in the state.

I don't know the take home pay of others, but being self employed I never paid more than 20% state and federal combined and I made far more than the median. It's amazing what is deductible, even after being audited and the audits never took more than several weeks. ;)

You are right about King Toot, but his comedy would not lend itself to working as a team.

Louis .... I saw a report on the cost of living by state..... New York cost of living is about 50% higher the Kentucky cost of living. I could not memorize all states, but I suspect MD is closer to NY.

Checking in quickly. Just ordered breakfast and am trying to catch up with the posts, but because I am trying to do it on th phone, the photos are small and the print hard to read. Will have to go through this when I get home. My wife did confirm that we left the ipad home.

It was a bit overwhelming at the auction yesterday. Could have picked up a Rolls Royce cheap. One went for $7,500 and another for less than ten grand. I didn't bid. No Rolls dealers in Montana. They can get expensive to maintain. Saw a lot of Mercedes in beautiful shape go for less than ten grand. My old ORIGINAL '65 Chevy pickup, with a six banger and three on the tree went for a lot more than these high dollar cars. I mostly brought some pickups and Jeep and most of them will be up on the block today.

Later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back