Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it seems a bunch of German manufacturers of model train stuff have banded together to push the hobby and get new people involved.

They have a new website

http://wirmodellbahner.de

("We model train enthusiasts" more or less)

and have a first promotional video out:

Is this sort of effort something that the US model train community should be doing? Is the US model train community more and more "old men"? How do we get youth involved?

That is the $64,000 question!

Family drama has kept me busy the last few days. Now that the weather has apparently turned for good (temps in the 60s), I'll be getting back down to the basement pretty soon. I haven't discussed it, but I've been mulling over things like track design and how I'm going to change what I've already laid down (that's the big advantage sectional track has).

Beady, I hope the family drama was not too bad.

I love sectional track for the same reason. Before I moved I lost count of how many times I changed my track.

Now I need to do something with my trains, anything!

Last edited:
Lee, that is amazing! I could see it was a high quality track, but I would not have guessed it was Lionel's FasTrack. I had seen Bachman's EZ-track ballasted and it looked great as well, but I had never seen Lionel's FasTrack ballasted.

Well done!

Good morning Everybody,

It's 66 with 98% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

I worked yesterday and it took me 2 hours to earn 3.5 hours of pay. Not bad, but the problem was I had nearly 30 apartments on my route! Amazon has so many new supervisors, I seldom get any preferential treatment, other than my negotiated pay scale. The new supervisors don't know not to wear out this half-broken down old man with such labor intensive routes. All those 2nd and 3rd floor apartments did me in! I had a little trouble with my pancreas during the night, but I feel pretty good today. I will be taking the day off today, that is for sure!

I could not even stay awake long enough to see the end of the Cardinals and Braves game. I hope the MLB network will replay it because I missed a good one! I did see the Braves' showboat, Acuna and his lack of hustle cost the Braves a base and possibly a run. He followed that with a bone head move being doubled off on a line drive. Not good in a one run loss. What is with some of these talented young players? Celebrate after you score, better yet celebrate after you win and for God's sake, pay attention!

I read the Nationals' bullpen let them down, but that was pointless because they could not even manage to score a run. Oh well, now a tough fight got even tougher, Go Nats!

Time to take my Grandson to school, have a great day Everybody!

Jeremy Plant - ‎Classic Penn Central
B&A eastbound crossing the Hudson River, Castleton, NY, June 1970.
1570187583383.png

Morning all,

Cloudy and 54 in Doo-Dah this morning. Supposed to have off and on rain all morning with clearing and another front coming through. Finally supposed to feel like fall all week.

I'm on mandatory vacation this next week as I have too much comp time and the budget for overtime is gone for at least the next 3 months when we start a new year. I'm going to assist my youngest daughter with her daughters while her husband is out of town for work. That way she won't have to use up the few days she has reacquired since the birth of the youngest. Just making sure the oldest gets on the bus in the morning and pick her up after school. I may be lucky enough to get some train time in on a couple of days next week....

But my time here is limited due to internet access while away.

Good morning everyone. 53 and clear out there - BRRRRRR!! Cool front #1 made it through, all right. Another one coming next week. Get ready, Willie!! Hey, Chet - time to have Montana DOT close the south door :D

Chessie, Garry, Wheeler, Patrick, Lee, Boris, Sherrel, CCofran, Willie, Louis, Flip, Curt and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on my posts from yesterday.
Chad - Love that German motorcyclist/model railroader commercial. very cool!

DIABETES!! Well, I mentioned I had my annual "wellness visit" last week. The bloodwork results came in the mail last night. Everything fine except one stinking area: blood sugar. It's been a bit over the recommended range for years, but this time it spiked big time. I notice Mike and Louis and GreatDivide have been posting about Type 2 and blood sugar levels and meds and so forth - I guess I'll be joining you in that club - Doc wants me to get something started right away. MOH and I don't drink sodas, don't have lots of sweets, eat organic as much as possible, etc., etc., etc. So don't know what more to do nutritionally. It IS partly hereditary (my mom had it, one cousin has it). Got to bring it under control somehow. Will keep you posted.

BIRTHDAY TIME!! Big weekend coming up - - Next Tuesday is my wife's birthday - 65!! Tonight we go to Branson for a brief getaway, shopping, antiquing, dinner out. Sunday the kids and grandkids come over for a birthday dinner (barbeque). Then on Tuesday, The Big Day, we'll go out to dinner again.

By the way, if any of you are ever over this way visiting Branson, let me know and I'll point you to a fantastic B&B (if you like those kinds of places). We love this place, have stayed there dozens of times over the years. We'll be there tonight.

RETIREMENT!! I mentioned MOH and I went to a free retirement class last night. Hosted by one of the local universities. Great class. Stuff we already knew mixed with stuff we had no idea about. Basically we're doing most of the stuff right, but there's much more we can do. Why on earth the GOVERNMENT has to make SocSec/Retirement/Taxes so stinkin' complicated is beyond me!! Anybody out there understand all this stuff?!? One more class next week. The presenter also has his own business (aye, there's the catch) and will give a free one-hour personal consultation. It appears to be worth it, though.

No photos today. Will post more photos next week.

Time for coffee. Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Wow! 64° and partly cloudy. It's been six months since we've seen a temperature this low. The second cool front due Monday is supposed to drop the temperature into the mid-50's. Made a successful weekly grocery/beer trek yesterday, but the bad news is a store policy change. The guy at the deli counter is no longer allowed to give out free samples to customers! :mad:One could almost have lunch by getting a slice of ham, cheese and bologna and making your own "roll-up". They also changed the "slice sizes". What used to be a #3 thickness is now a #5 thickness; thus requiring a re-education. Oh well!
Hey there Francine, I'll take a Mexican omelet with some hot salsa this morning, if you can get away from Louis for a minute or two.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the weathered hoppers and Dash9-44CW yesterday; Sherrel, Patrick, Jerome, Garry, Justin, Chad, Johnny, Phil, Curt, Tom, Joe, Lee, Mikey, Louis.

I only got a short bit of time in the train shed yesterday due to "everything else". I continued to break in the new locomotives and ran some others as well. Gotta keep those engineers on their toes. Did some general cleanup and got everything ready for the next quarterly cleanup project on the layout. This quarter it's the last 60' of the upper deck. Lots of track down in this section as it contains the yet to be built ethanol processing plant (track already in place) and a five track yard. I have no structures or scenery in this section yet.
Many of you commented on the detailing of the Scaletrains engines that I posted earlier this week. It is excellent indeed. Here are a few pictures of the trucks and underbody detail.
Engineer side front.
10-03-19 014.JPG

Engineer side rear.
10-03-19 015.JPG

It appears that I need to re-position that sand pipe on this truck.
Conductor side front.
10-03-19 012.JPG

Conductor side rear.
10-03-19 013.JPG

Garry -
Willie ..... Cab detail in the new loco looks outstanding.
Yes it is outstanding. Unfortunately it cannot be seen unless the cab is removed, so only I (and those who saw the picture) know it is there! Oh well! There are plenty of details that I have put onto or into my layout that only I know about because they cannot be seen either.
Chad - Love that video!
Mikey - The trip back home was actually the best part because I got back to my own layout and train shed after seeing all of those other layouts.

Today is National Taco Day. Lots of places giving out free tacos, but the best are made at home. It's also National Vodka Day to go along with it. Enjoy the day either way. Everybody have a great day.

RETIREMENT!! I mentioned MOH and I went to a free retirement class last night. Hosted by one of the local universities. Great class. Stuff we already knew mixed with stuff we had no idea about. Basically we're doing most of the stuff right, but there's much more we can do. Why on earth the GOVERNMENT has to make SocSec/Retirement/Taxes so stinkin' complicated is beyond me!! Anybody out there understand all this stuff?!? One more class next week. The presenter also has his own business (aye, there's the catch) and will give a free one-hour personal consultation. It appears to be worth it, though.

Johnny: The government wants to punish you for being prudent and actually following their advice in preparing for your retirement. :oops:

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back