Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Political Correctness, is the method used by one group of bigots to regulate the behavior of other bigots.

Boris

Boris your wisdom is infinite! You hit the nail on the head, "it's the pot calling the kettle black".

Mathew 7:3-5
Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your neighbor, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while the log is in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.

Afternoon All,

Did some small chores around the house then decided to cut the grass since it was relatively cool (for FL in summer) with a nice breeze. I did paint the flat car weight.

Louis- Interesting photos.

Beady- That is interesting.

Johnny- Nice farm scene.

Chet- Nice pictures and video.

Joe- Exactly.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet I love those Alco diesel locomotives! Probably because of my first locomotive.
1569008201712.png

I love German sausages, but I'm partial to the more flavorful Hungarian, Polish and other eastern European sausages. The only sausage I don't like is Italian, don't ask me why, but they use something in them I don't like.

Chet I love those Alco diesel locomotives! Probably because of my first locomotive.
View attachment 39590
I love German sausages, but I'm partial to the more flavorful Hungarian, Polish and other eastern European sausages. The only sausage I don't like is Italian, don't ask me why, but they use something in them I don't like.

Louis lets go back to 1971, to my 1st real "layout". See what is leading the train? Tyco's finest, in Chinese red and gray!
My1stlayout_resize.jpg

Good Afternoon from Baton Rouge LA. Got here about an hour and a half ago. Uneventful trip so far, just encountered a few very light showers along the way, Rain-X took care of most of them. Ate lunch at a wonderful Cajun restaurant in a totally way out of the way location in Lafayette LA earlier. Spending the night here as planned since my wife's knee has had enough riding for one day.
Gotta go right now. See you later.

Ray - I also still have my first car, a 1951 Hudson Hornet.
I remember you saying that. Somehow, I don't think a 1938 Hillman Minx would qualify for such preservation. Mind you, such cars were in demand for WW2 movies and TV period pieces. I sometimes get an NZ restored car mag sent to me. It's a terrific mag on real quality gloss paper. They have some great restorations of US vehicles, beautiful stuff.

Terry - I tend to agree with Ray as the amount of detail that is put on recent HO scale has increased dramatically
One of the guys at the club just got 2 of Athearn's RTR/sound SD45T-2's in SP bloody nose. Man, they are gorgeous. They have even modified the rear truck so as to make the view through the rear side grilles more obvious. Everything about them is sharply defined. The challenge of plastic to brass is virtually complete with these. That gray is one of the best colors for showing it off.
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH86815

Last edited:
Raincoat2- I see something that I have not seen in many other scenes, the rectangular hay bales.
They are a natural detail for most barn scenes. Did you purchase them or make them?
I need to find a source or make them myself.

Good evening .

Johnny .... Nice farm scene.

Chet .... The F7AB looks great .

Boris, Ken, Louis, and others thanks for commenting on my recent health issue. The change in meds is working okay. Getting stronger each day.

Everybody .... Have a good evening.

Evening All. Thanks for the welcome. 75° and a bit on the muggy side here on the west coast of Wisconsin.

Just some apple pie with one scoop of vanilla and short coffee for me please, thanks Flo.

Been a busy week with work, teaching a class, and getting the little one ready for her license test on Monday. She's done very well and I let her drive the Vette around the neighborhood tonight. It's a '74 and just a "little" different from what she's been learning on. We had a fun time together. Got gas, which was funny when she asked what side to pull up, since it doesn't matter on that model Vette. I even let her "stretch" the legs for a bit on the 2 lane highway. Nothing like a carburated V8 and a Vette to make a kid smile. She was grinning ear to ear! I won't be here on Monday for her test, but I'm sure she will do fine and mama has things well under control.

Tomorrow is the anniversary. Mama and I be taking a leisurely trip down the river road and taking in the scenery...which may include some BNSF or CN traffic. I have also been informed there is a furniture store that will be visited. Sunday I'm off to SLC for a work trip. I am a technical trainer for a large manufacturer, so I will be teaching a couple of sessions at our office there.

I'm still learning everyone's names, so be patient with me. (That's why I give my students name cards on their tables...lol)

Willie- Great scenes! Sometimes, I think we focus on the big rail served industries. But it's those scenes of everyday life that really make a layout. Travel safe.

Louis- Love the prototype and historical photos! Thanks! Keep em comin down the line.

Chet- Thanks for the encouragement on the car repairs. Love the layout pictures and videos. I have always loved it out west and after our vacation (Wyoming, Montana) this summer the wife and I are considering that direction for retirement....but that"s a couple decades away..so who knows.

Beady- Thanks for the laughs! Keep it weird. o_O

Since my layout is still very much just in my head and I don't have a lot of pictures. I decided to dig a few locos out of their boxes and take a few pics. Keep in mind these haven't seen the light of day for 15+ years. But here is some of what I have left.

SD45.jpg

Kato SD45. My first attempt a weathering, 20 years ago. Gonna need a little work, couplers, details and the handrails.

GP 30.jpg

GP 30 Pre-Walthers Proto

GP 20 Demo.jpg

GP 20 Demo. I like the demo locos and had quite the collection. This is the only one that remains :(. Could just never really part with it.

GP7 2.jpg

GP7 Pre Walther Proto. even though I model the "modern" era I like the early Geeps.

SF SD7.jpg

This is a Kato drive , Atlas shell that I put together like 20 years ago from a box of stuff I got at a train show. Looks to have held up well.

Line up 2.jpg

Here's most of the line up. Never mind the cluttered desk. I tell my boss that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind......

Have a good night!

-Z

index.php

GP 20 Demo. I like the demo locos and had quite the collection. This is the only one that remains :(. Could just never really part with it.

Funny you should say that. I bought a UP one of these years ago too and for some reason, I feel the same way about it, very similar, except it has the taller fans at the rear, like the front one and the bell is on the cab's roof. There's something about it, whether it's the round roof cab, the slope down nose and/or just being chunky and well detailed. I recently put in a spare Soundtraxx TSU-1000 decoder and cell phone speaker (Standard DC chassis). Goes well.

Just checking my emails before going to have dinner and here's one asking me to make an offer on one of those tank cars. So I figure the sellers awoken to his mistake and taken a look. Now there wasn't that option before as far as I recall. But no, it's still the same price. Think I should make an offer? Say, $30?

Last edited:
Karl, I would have loved to have that layout of yours from 1971! My first attempt was on a green piece of plywood under our Christmas tree in 1974. To put it mildly, it was unsuccessful. It looked good, but I could never get two laps out of the train. I still love that Tyco set! I lost the train set and all my other trains, along with a lot of other money and stuff due to my separation from my first wife. I paid a steep price, but all is well that ends well. Now I have the best wife ever and I still have my first true love, my baseball cards! :)

Thanks to eBay I recreated the Tyco set, in spades and I even have an original box! Thanks to Tyco parts, Bachmann steel wheels and Life-Like - Scene Master Magnetic Knuckle Couplers That train ran reliably over and over under a Christmas tree a few years ago and I hope to run it again some time soon!

I'm so glad to see you are posting again. I know you are busy, so thanks for taking some time to share your experience and wit. :) We missed you!

Z, you are not the only one with a layout in our heads, All I have is some empty bench work on my front porch, some tracks, bit and pieces of trains on the floor in my attic. That and lots and lots of stuff still in the box! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

1569066244144.png

Funny you should say that. I bought a UP one of these years ago too and for some reason, I feel the same way about it, very similar, except it has the taller fans at the rear, like the front one and the bell is on the cab's roof. There's something about it, whether it's the round roof cab, the slope down nose and/or just being chunky and well detailed. I recently put in a spare Soundtraxx TSU-1000 decoder and cell phone speaker (Standard DC chassis). Goes well.

Good eye Ray!

I need to fix that on the GP20. For some reason that rear fan pops out of there. I can kind of remember that from years ago, now that I'm thinking of it. Well, something to do!

It's all of that. GP20's just have this utilitarian look to them. This one will probably be put into switching service.

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back