Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny and mild here in this part of Wisconsin.

Needed to do some home tasks like turning on the outside water, planted several pots, started the central A/C and did a run to the landfill with several sections of split rail fencing and branches. Stopped for some more pot planting soil for use at home and at the cabin.

Headed down to the layout for some afternoon fun. First order of business was to vacuum the carpet tiles. Second, I wanted to plant the lily pads in one water feature.

The lily pads took time to manufacture the amount I would need overall and I purchased a punch to make holes in copy paper where I had mixed Brown, Yellow and Green paint for the pads. The colors and were blended to provide a nice mixture of colors that the pads would have instead of a uniform green color. Then I punched the actual pads using a 1/8 inch hole punch to make scale HO pads. This was a two hour project. Then once I finished punching the pads, I used sharp #11 Exacto knifes to cut the "V" slot in each pad as the pads naturally grow.

Then comes the pad planting. I used canopy glue to attach the lily pads to the water surface. This glue dries clear and any glue that the pads do not completely cover is hard to notice once dry. Where in groups, the pads overlap themselves as they do in nature. Single or groups of odd number of pads were planted in more open water. Here and there I added single pads. I completed three areas of pads and I like the finished results.

Simple, but a time consuming and somewhat expensive project. Two more areas to go. I don't want to calculate the price per lily pad!

The next area for lily pads will be more noticeable to the visitor.

I had a section of track where a SW1500 was hesitating just ever so slightly. I cleaned the track with 71% alcohol and that solved the problem.

Going to the cabin tomorrow to clean out the pump house for the plumber. The pump house was a haven for mice over the last winter.

The cabin living is best when all the work is done for the day and then mix a cocktail and sit out on the deck enjoy my drink and then watch and listen to wildlife. The humming birds are back and the Mrs. has six feeders in the back and three feeders in the front. Mixing several gallons of humming bird food is one of my projects.

That's all for now....

Until I return next week...enjoy our hobby.

Greg

############################

1559250572042.png

No, I'm not going to model a lily pad flower in HO scale. -Greg

Afternoon All,

Had a surprise visit to the dentist this morning. I have had a badly cracked tooth for a long time that has been getting progressively worse. Last night it was really bad. It ends up I actually have 2 teeth that need removed and are considered complicated (of course), so I see the Oral Surgeon on Tuesday. The dentist prescribed drugs to help me. I'm expecting it to cost about $1000 before I'm doneo_O.

I will be going to the dentist for the first time in 3 years in a couple weeks. Luckily, no tooth aches to report. To me that means anything he prescribes is optional. HA!

Good Afternoon Everyone....sunny and mild here in this part of Wisconsin.

Needed to do some home tasks like turning on the outside water, planted several pots, started the central A/C and did a run to the landfill with several sections of split rail fencing and branches. Stopped for some more pot planting soil for use at home and at the cabin.

Going to the cabin tomorrow to clean out the pump house for the plumber. The pump house was a haven for mice over the last winter.

The cabin living is best when all the work is done for the day and then mix a cocktail and sit out on the deck enjoy my drink and then watch and listen to wildlife. The humming birds are back and the Mrs. has six feeders in the back and three feeders in the front. Mixing several gallons of humming bird food is one of my projects.

That's all for now....

Until I return next week...enjoy our hobby.

Greg

############################

View attachment 36976

No, I'm not going to model a lily pad flower in HO scale. -Greg

If you are still around to read this, have a nice time at the cabin. Our retirement home will be our cabin (my plan) so trying to enjoy today while looking forward to that day as well.

I will be away this weekend only, going to the land staying over Friday night.

Dave

FWIW, in our town, a Benny was a union-negotiated benefit, like a 9:50-10:00 paid break while working.

BENNY has totally different connotation, here. Was over in Little Silver today, the Shore bound train had 10 bi-levels behind the ALP-46 instead of the usual 8. Traffic was a bit heavier than normal for midday, Thursday. Monmouth Park is also running, which adds to the traffic.

In South Jersey, we always called them “shoobies”, because back in the day, they would pack their lunch in a shoe box.

Makes me want to listen to Cozy Morely's "On the Way to Cape May", sung by A. Alberts ;) Covers the whole trip before the roads were improved.
The Boss used to set me up to ride the Sperry Car on it's annual visitation to South Jersey. Covered the A.C. Branch and the Clementon Br. and Cape May Branch with a side trip to Ocean City. Sure beat hanging out at Morrisville Hump. ;)

Boris

Good evening. It's 9 p.m. and the temp is 89*, down from a high of 97*. Don't know how hot in the garage but wonder at what temp. some of the HO cars might warp or melt. lol
Thanks to those who post pictures. BEADY-Love your sense of humor.
Prayers and Blessing to all.

Terry, thanks for the Birthday wishes, I had a great Birthday. I spent the entire day with my wife. She asked me "what do you want to do on your Birthday?" This is may sound strange, but I choose to go grocery shopping on my Birthday and finally moved my freezer into the utility room. The store manager waived the limit on the diet sprite so I ended up with 15 six packs at $2 each! I could have gotten more but I wanted to leave some for the next guy. I also got 20lbs of Oscar Mayer Hotdogs for $1 per pound. After all that I still felt good enough to go pickup my grandson and had a Burger King Whopper for dinner, perfect day! :)

I'm back and my goal is to keep up with all the posts, I'm not their yet, forgive me.

I'm just happy to be here, thank God!

I'm like one of those boxers who won't stay down. I'll be moving steady on my feet again before long. I'm just glad life is like a 19th century boxing match, unlimited rounds and they don't count knock downs. As long as I keep getting up the fight goes on!

Willie, as long as I breath I will not abandon model railroading. YouTube and other apps on my smart TV kept the fire burning while I was stuck on the couch.

Boris, what do you think of the Saint Louis Blues? I'm pulling for them. Looks to me like a goalie from out of nowhere put them on his back and carried them this far.

Have a great day Everybody!

PS Ive been following my birds, they may be the worst team in baseball, but they never give up, I love watching them battle! GO O's!!!

Good morning everyone. 60 and sunny out there. A couple of nice days coming up - - a welcome respite from the severe weather we've been enjoying lately.

Still nothing to report from the train room. First thing I'll have to do is dust cobwebs when I finally get back down there. Sounds like some of you have experienced these breaks in the action. Right now there's nothing much I can do about it.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning all,

Early out day for me (usually I trade my early out Friday for Saturday when I do server maint.) so I'll be watching 2 of the grand kids and getting the yard work completed, then maybe some train time. We're expecting our 3rd granddaughter on Sunday/Monday as their inducing my youngest daughter Sunday afternoon. Since grandpa has all the time, I'll be off work Tuesday as well watching her older sister while grandma goes to work.

Busy days.....I have noticed that as the kids (my wife and I are the parents of now 30 something triplets) got older and left, we're busier now than when they were small.

Good morning, and Happy Friday for all of our members still in the work force. ;). 68° and sunny with no rain in the forecastn until Monday.

Boris, what do you think of the Saint Louis Blues? I'm pulling for them. Looks to me like a goalie from out of nowhere put them on his back and carried them this far.

Louis: I'm for St. Louis, mainly because they are a interesting team coached by one of my favorite Capitals from years past. It helps that NBC sports is so openly biased in favour of the Bruins. NBC's broadcast team, takes all the pleasure out of watching the finals, :mad: Unfortunately, since they have exclusive TV rights in the US, I can't access the Canadian telecasts. :(

I'm disappointed that the "Birds" suck again this year. "Givens" is well named, he gives up leads every time he pitches... Meanwhile, the Mets seem to go out of their way to lose...and their starters...can't buy a win :(.

My focus, is on the upcoming NHL draft and Free Agency. Devils have the #1 pick again this year. By mid July, I'll have to focus on baseball for entertainment.

Yesterday, while the wife was undergoing her infusion treatment, I managed to take care of my errands. I stopped at Lowes, and picked up some dimensional lumber to assemble another module. Meanwhile, with lower humidity anticipated, I have some projects awaiting paint, to finish.

Boris

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 62°. I had a mostly uneventful trip to town yesterday for groceries/beer. I added a side trip to the library and I am happy to report that it appears that the homeless library patrons in Denton TX seems to have been reduced somewhat, or else they've found somewhere else to go. They may have all found jobs as there are "Help Wanted" signs everywhere in town, including the library bulletin board. Not as many backpacks stashed in the bushes either, so they weren't out jogging. I also ran across several unusual street signs that I hadn't previously seen before.
1559301865588.png

What happened to the days when we just called them "Speed Bumps"?

Thanks for the likes and comments on my current progress; Garry, Sherrel, Dave, Jerome, Curt, Phil, Patrick.

Another limited day in the train shed yesterday. I did do additional scenery around the newly completed grade crossing. Only partially completed but some progress is better than no progress.
05-31-19 001.JPG

This photo shows the different ballast used by ATSF in this area during their heyday, light gray (almost white) on the main line, mixed gray on the passing siding and darker gray (older) on the industry spur. Theirs wasn't exactly like this but followed this type of pattern. The mains were always lighter so train crews could rapidly distinguish which track they were on at night or in inclement weather, per several employees that I spoke with over time.
Here's the completed (for now) front wall of the Masonic Lodge that was drying overnight. I like the layered effect.
05-31-19 002.JPG

I was also able to make all of the cut-outs in the first side wall, the first part of step three.
05-31-19 003.JPG

I'm still reading and re-reading the step three instructions to be sure that I understand one small part that seems confusing to me. Still have some time as it will take two more days to cut out the other side and the back walls. I also have to cut out the ten columns (A & B) before getting to the confusing part, which has to do with mounting the brick sheet (included) to the walls and columns.

Dave - Thank you very much for your interest and encouragement on the Masonic Lodge. I've been wondering about Chet as well.
Curt - Bad news regarding the teeth, and especially the pain. I guess that I am lucky in that my small town dentist is also an oral surgeon and everything can usually be fixed (or started) in a single visit. He wastes no time.:)
Greg - Looking forward to pictures of the lily pads. I watch my hummingbirds/wildlife from the pool with a bottle of my favorite brew. I love living out in the boonies.
Louis - Has the city of Baltimore traced the ransomware attack to Catherine yet?

While there was no rain in today's forecast, there is a rather sizable storm moving in this direction from the west right now. It looks like any severe weather will hit the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I will just see light showers, but it's springtime and one never knows.

Everybody have a great last day of May. Today is National Save Your Hearing Day. Wish that I had heard of that forty years ago! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back