Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our fellow campers told me there was a tornado here last night.
How could he tell?
It sounded like a train.
Really? I heard that, too. But tornadoes usually don't blow their horns for highway crossings...
He was suitably humiliated.
Of course, now when there really is trouble, he'll think it's a train.

Good morning: 74° and cloudy, with a 20% chance of rain.

Terry, I'll have to remember that and seek shelter Thursday night, when I hear SA31 making it's weekly run to Lakewood. :rolleyes:.

Dave: The industrial zone photo looks great. The wire run to the structure is a great detail item, but the whole scene looks real.

Boris

Good Morning All. mostly cloudy and 75°. Weather guessers are still predicting a major "strong storm" to occur here around noon. It's out there about 120 miles west of us right now although I am not sure which path it is going to take. I'll get out the umbrella just in case.
Spoke with my sister in Dayton OH yesterday, she and BIL and house escaped any issues, but one tornado cruised through just three blocks away from them. She walked over there to get these pictures. She isn't aware of any injuries.
20190528_093436.jpg

20190528_093533.jpg

20190528_093539.jpg

20190528_094241.jpg

A neighbor is at the door needing some minor assistance right now, I'll be back later.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. Clear out there and about 70. A little rain in the night. So far we've had about 9 inches over the past 3 weeks at our house.

Not much progress in the train room - - okay, NO progress in the train room!!! Too much going on at work and outside at home. I do like seeing all the photos being posted these days. Your layouts are looking good!

Have a good day everyone.

Morning from the West where it's 53 going to 78 today and clear. Last year on this date was 80 and the record was 94 in 2002.

WOW, PHIL .. It's only been 1 year and three weeks since wife and I were in St Augustine and then over to Destin for a couple days - the temp was no where near those temps.

TERRY - Sorry to hear about the A/C; is that the same one that you replaced not too long ago?

BORIS (JOE) - Meant to comment - Wife and I watched the Doger/Mets game Monday night. She is a life-long Doger fan and I was "pulling" for the Mets ... they were holding their own until 4/5th inning. Don't know why, but I just have never been a Dodger fan - sorry,Johnny!

Glad that you heard from Louis - I was wondering if the results of the Mueller report was what made him ill?

Good Morning again. Rescued my 76 yo neighbor, one of his pick up trucks stopped running in the middle of the road, he walked home and got another one and a chain and I steered the disabled one back to his house with him towing.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued the ground cover on the peninsula for a bit, also got the grade crossings painted. Over at the workbench, I added trim to the front of the Masonic Lodge, thinner cardstock and 1/16" angled stripwood.
05-28-19 002.JPG

05-29-19 003.JPG

The masking tape covers some gray painted rectangles since I am going to deviate from instructions and spray-paint these parts white. Still doing some repair work with contour putty on those arches. Note the pieces of the very fragile angle in the upper right corner of the picture. Here's what they are supposed to look like when assembled.
05-29-19 004.JPG

Paint shop today. Those arches were not easy to do considering the cardstock is .050" I think that after paint and some more sanding I can get them looking much better. They don't look that bad in person.

Dave - Those power line pictures are quite good. I'm saving them to a folder for when I tackle that in about two years.

Everybody stay safe in the various weather situations across the country right now. Thunderstorms are edging closer to us, right now there is no tornado activity associated with them. But the conditions are right and chances will increase as the day gets warmer.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone....light rain and over-cast here in this part of Wisconsin. Hard to believe that we have heat on at night with the temperatures being in the 40-50's range.

Heading down to the layout room shortly, but first I have to check a few items on the web.

Patrick: We used to visit Iron River, Michigan a lot when we traveled on the Gold Wing to either Canada or the UP and then heading back down into Wisconsin with Iron River being just a days ride home for us in good weather. If I remember right there's a great Italian restaurant in Iron River. I love riding over the Mackinaw Bridge on a motorcycle and it feels like flying when I looked down the 400+ feet or so to the water below.

Dave: I have a pump guy coming in a week or so to check the pressure switch and pressure tank and I can do copper and plastic pipe but I let a professional to the galvanized piping, but some of the fitting are bronze so they are easy to break apart. The replacement of any parts should be easy since the equippment is located in a small shed. The well is only 12 years old and is a 4 inch driven well down 80 feet. The neighbors just installed a well on their property and the driller hit good water at 30 feet, but continued to 50 feet.

Dave the utility wire so makes for a prototypical and realistic scene.

Willie:
Glad to hear that your sister in Dayton, Ohio is safe after the tornadoes.

Railroad and Forum time will be dropping off for me as I spend more and more time at the cabin. In fact I'll be spending 10 days straight there and give my wife a break from me!!! No computer or land line at the cabin and limited television to watch. Besides the start of the Chicken Bar-B-Q's season starts next weekend and there usually one every weekend. They are a fun raisers for local fire departments and locals attend every year. I need to attend one near where we have a small tree farm and meet some of the local folks.

That's all for now.....

Greg

###################

IMG_0374.JPG

This is the "wet" area that getting the lily pads planted. I did some research on lily pads this past weekend in the areas around the cabin. The C&NW caboose needs some weathering. -Greg

IMG_0258.JPG

A different view of the "wet" area. The water reflected some of the over head lighting. I've added some more grass plants and "logs". The stone formations represent limestone that is common in many parts of Wisconsin.

Last edited:
As much as I [we] hate Hurricanes,much prefer them to Tornadoes . At least we get plenty of warning and can board up and or leave. Can always rebuild or sell what is left , which is what we did after Andrew.
Phil

TERRY - Sorry to hear about the A/C; is that the same one that you replaced not too long ago?
Yes. They don't last as long as they used to.
At $1250 for a new one, you'd think they'd last longer. The original one was still working when the pan rusted out, and we ended up with a waterfall inside.
As seldom as we now use our trailer, I don't know if we can continue justifying the expense of keeping it.

Terry: Sounds like your trailer is like a boat or cabin and can be a money pit for sure. I look at our cabin as an expense that is worth the occassional repairs or upgrades. If we didn't have the cabin, I'm sure we would spend the money elsewhere!!!

If you enjoy it....Keep it.

Greg

Good Morning All. mostly cloudy and 75°. Weather guessers are still predicting a major "strong storm" to occur here around noon. It's out there about 120 miles west of us right now although I am not sure which path it is going to take. I'll get out the umbrella just in case.
Spoke with my sister in Dayton OH yesterday, she and BIL and house escaped any issues, but one tornado cruised through just three blocks away from them. She walked over there to get these pictures. She isn't aware of any injuries.
View attachment 36936
View attachment 36938
View attachment 36939
View attachment 36940

A neighbor is at the door needing some minor assistance right now, I'll be back later.

Oh my Willie, sis dodged a bullet!

Hey Everybody!

I don't have much time before I go pickup my grandson, but I wanted to say hello.

I've been better, but I've been worse, it's not bad to be some where in the middle. Everyday I can get up and go is a great day!
"Look inside of yourself, you might see someone you don't know"

I found time to buy this and took advantage of free shipping!
Lionel O 6-84795 Plug Expand Play Deluxe Christmas House
1559151353086.png

Have a great day Everybody

God bless us Everyone!

"que Beady :) "

Came up from the layout to post a few pictures.....

IMG_0422.JPG

The ACL box car is my first car I weathered using just oil stains and DullKote. -Greg

IMG_0401.JPG

Same car from a different view. I think the car looks better when the photo is enlarged. -Greg

I just have to practice with the methods as well as taking better photographs.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg -- I really like the photos you have been posting as well as your "weathered" rolling stock.
Very nice - keep up the work!

LOUIS -- Great Christmas house from Lionel there!
Glad to see that you are hopefully feeling better?

Afternoon All,

Well the tank car build is over:mad:. I spent 2 hours attaching 8 tiny mid tank rail brackets using the 3 spares to do it. I attached the end cap railing (plastic) but because the tank end cap was attached with the center rail support hole slightly off true that railing was angled instead of level. The directions said to use the enclosed .020 wire for the tank sides I decided to use .015 wire instead. While trying to attach the damn brackets I busted off 2 hazmat sign boards (no spares and use a square hole) and knocked loose brake piping on the bottom. The last straw was sliding the smaller wire through the plastic bracket holes and one bracket broke apart. The only way to fix it would be to cut the bracket off, sand it maintaining the tank curve, drill another hole and get another bracket and start over hoping everything lined up when done. Not happening. Life is too short. Let's just say the project will be gone Friday after garbage pickup.

Terry- That blows...no pun intended. I was going to ask if it was under warranty but after reading your follow on post I guess it isn't.

Willie- I'm glad your sister is OK. The wall looks great all put together.

Greg- Nice layout shots. Excellent weathering on the ACL car.

Louis- Good to see you posting again. I hope you're doing OK.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just got up from my nap and we're in the midst of the "strong storm" as the weather bureau classified our current weather situation. Not too bad here, there's .75" in the rain gauge but no standing or running water here yet. We are under a tornado warning. Rotation has been detected on radar all over the place, but it doesn't appear that anything has touched the ground yet. The situation a bit worse in places nearby with heavier rain than we've seen today, and the worst appears to be past this location. Wife reports that the local TV weather people have been on non-stop for the last two hours. Many without electricity south and southeast of here, but ours hasn't flickered, yet.
OK, as I typed this we had a two-second power blackout, obviously a lightening strike since there is no wind here. Good thing is that I was needing to add some more water to the pool, but no more!:)

Good afternoon all, super busy day at work, taking a breather now before heading into the office. If I time the drive just right it will be an hour to go 15 miles, I am on overtime right now.

Willie, the building is going to be great, I think. Really something the feats someone dreamed up when they designed these things.

Curt, see the second half of what i said to Willie

Louis, great that you checked in

THANKS for the photo comments!

Greg, really nice photos

Patrick, strange thing about the tornado is how abrupt the damage can begin/end. There was a trailer house in the siren tornado where every large oak tree for 200 yards was flat sideways, but the home was completely undamaged.

no photo today.

see you late tomorrow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back