Let's get LOADED!!!.....

Here's another vid and another with that different attire. #67

[YOUTUBE]NpLcD_x3_CA&NR[/YOUTUBE]

Finally got sometime to work today and finish up the first half of my D9T load. This is the blade and arms/tip cylinders on the plain flatcar. Tomorrow I hope to get the tractor on the depressed center car done.

Great stuff mate, Love the way you've simulated the scuffing on the bottom of the blade. What brand of flat car is that? I've got some MTH 60' wooddeck flats (HTTX)and they have what looks like the color wood that car would have had when new. What did you use on it?

David,
There was a hint about making chain look like it was under tension i.e. tightened up, which involved hanging it up on a pin and dribbling liquid cca glue down it and letting it set and then cutting it to the lengths you want, which is a very good idea.

I can see though that in a circumstance like this where it's draped over an object, that wouldn't be very practical. Possibly the effect could be achieved by a loose length over the object, fixing (tying?) it to the brackets on one side of the car deck, passing it over and through the brackets on the other side (as you have done), weighting the loose end to pull the chain taught and then painting some cca onto the chain. Wait till it sets and then nip off the excess with sidecutters.

There was one of the members at my club, who is also "into" 'Cats on flats' (he has 3 Klein water trucks on 60fter's) and had looped his chains around the front and rear axles and tied them down fore and aft but with the same loose chain effect. I've been pondering ever since on how to overcome this in situations where you need the chain "flexible" to fit it.

Ahaa! a little Googlin' and Wikipedeia'n has revealed the RR is headquartered in Lakeville, a southern suburb of Minneapolis-St Paul, this seems to be as good a match for the unclear letters on the vid as likely to be had, so a pretty good asumption then.

Ahaa! a little Googlin' and Wikipedeia'n has revealed the RR is headquartered in Lakeville, a southern suburb of Minneapolis-St Paul, this seems to be as good a match for the unclear letters on the vid as likely to be had, so a pretty good asumption then.

I think "Suburb" is being rather generous. I live 8 miles from Lakeville and the Twin Cities feel a world away, lol.

If you want to see some of their trackage in lakeville (which looks really odd,), Search Google Maps for "Progressive Rail" and click point 'A'. You can see all the trackage that is served in Lakeville industrial park, and it's quite a diverse bunch of industries (plastics, grain, chemicals, paper and cold storage)

So Lakeville doesn't actually rate the title of City? Have you ever seen the switcher in question? Or is that an older scheme? Ha! just re-read your earlier posts and realised the clue to the name on the cab was in there.

Here's a wind turbine load I made. I still have two more to make.

P1010096.jpg

P1010097.jpg

IMG_3320_900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey there motley,me like the turbine cars as we see those quite frequently here in ontario. We used to see them parked on the siding near bala on. where the cp main goes through. We have tons of those in southwest on. when you drive from london to detroit there are hundreds of them. Oh almost forgot, we have seen the propellars and other parts going down hwy11 on flat bed trucks.

Later Iron man

hey there motley,me like the turbine cars as we see those quite frequently here in ontario. We used to see them parked on the siding near bala on. where the cp main goes through. We have tons of those in southwest on. when you drive from london to detroit there are hundreds of them. Oh almost forgot, we have seen the propellars and other parts going down hwy11 on flat bed trucks.

Later Iron man

Thanks Iron Man, appreciate the comments.

Toot, I used pieces of plastic plumbing tubes you can get at Home Depot. They are 1.5" in diameter.

The end tarps I used the blue and orange plastic bags they have at Party City.

On the prototype, they are only chained down on one side, the other side is bolted down into a brace.

I did a little research today on chain sizes available in HO scale for use as flat car load tiedowns and found that there seems to not be a great range of choice. The only 2 that appeared reasonably available were 27links/inch and 40links/inch.

I had previously bought some 40link black chain made by A-Line (Proto Power West). I had also been buying MTH's 60' wood deck flat cars which come supplied with 15" of chain and 8 load adjusters in little plastic bags.

I thought the 40 looked a little light when placed against the Caterpillar stuff I'm using it for mainly although it will probably be OK on the smaller equipment, so I thought I'd check out the MTH stuff.

I had also got, when I bought the A-Line chain a good number of Lonestar Models plastic load adjusters and on placing one of them against the 40 link I could see the links (about 1/2" moulded onto the end of the adjuster) were slightly larger.

So I opened up the MTH bag and could see immediately that it was a larger link chain and was a very close match to the Lonestar. I went about counting the links and after checking 3 times (twice at 32, once at 33), I figured 32 was what it was.

Here's a few pics. The top chain and adjusters are the MTH. The lower the A-Line 40 link and the lonestar adjusters below that.
chaincomparison40perinchto32perinch003_zps88173b2a.png

Then I've draped the chains over the blade of a D9T, 40L on the right, 32L on the left
chaincomparison40perinchto32perinch006_zps37f107aa.png

Next pic shows them likewise draped over the body of the D9T (very unprototypically I admit)
chaincomparison40perinchto32perinch007_zps3b78b0aa.png

This shows one of the Lonestar adjusters with it's moulded on chain leaning on the blade to show that in a lot of instances this may be all that's needed.
chaincomparison40perinchto32perinch008_zps9ced1ce2.png

Lastly an adjuster leaning against what looks like it's a lug on the side of the radiator housing of the tractor. It may be that a lot of loose chain is not required and these would suffice in most applications
chaincomparison40perinchto32perinch012_zps8f5ea205.png

They are supposed to be available in brown as well as grey, unfortunately not in stock at the time I bought mine.

Footnote: I tried to find a supplier of 32 link chain without success, found a couple of references to it on google but no actual manufacturer or stock listings.
Footnote to the footnote: Here is a pic of a D10T loaded onto a 60' flat, note the chains over the tracks straight down the sides.
tthx92530-catload1_zps2cc813be.png

The 60' car's decks are 12" wider than the 89'4" ITTX which are also used as machinery carriers, so my D9T's, while most usually appear on 60's would be quite at home on the longer cars and within load limits. To round this off here is a pic of the deck of a ITTX. Note the heavy timbers and the channels for the tiedowns that have been added to what would have been a flush deck car.
IMG_84491.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the information on the chains Toot, I had allot of trouble trying to find some myself when I did my dozer load. I ended up using the 40 link chain.
I also saw a few pictures of D9s with the chains over the tracks and did some looking at D9 dozers the military uses here on the base I work at and a couple outside in the city and found that they all had tie down loops on the side of the tracks the red arrows and under the front. I'm not that good to make them like that but I did get 2 made for under the front of mine and just looped the chain over the ripper in the back.

Your pics were an inspiration to me to actually get stuck in and get mine at least dismantled and temporarily mounted on some cars (so I could show them off at the club, haha). The 40 link looks ample in your photos, I thought the stuff I got seemed a bit light. I've written to MTH to see if there's any 32L available or who their supplier was but not greatly hopeful seeing their flat cars haven't been re-released in 4+ years.

There's a lot of pics on the net of Cat stuff, but not always easy to make out where the chain attachment lugs are on them.

Was going to do a "tutorial" on how to dismantle the D9 but was in a rush to get them done for the club run, so will have to wait till Norscot does a D10T (wish,wish, hope, hope). Did find this pic of a 627G scraper, mounted on a 60' HTTX (MTH if you can find them, or Intermountain OTTX (believed coming soon)) which shows off the chain work quite well, especially the number of tensioner/adjusters used to hold one of these things down.
HTTX20980001_zps1d61b6ff.png

Just been doing some scaling up of 40L chain in 1/87th. 1" = 87". The closest to 87 divided by 40 is 2-1/4" (2.25") or 40 x 2.25 = 90". The 2.25" (57mm) would be the internal length of each link. If you draw that out on a piece of paper and allow say, 1-1/2" (38mm) internal width, add on the thickness of the rod used to make the link 3/8" - 1/2" (10 - 13mm), it actually looks to be quite heavy (especially in the thicker rod), so 40L is probably very prototypical for the sizes of chains used to tie down these loads.

Would be interesting to go to the local hardware or ships chandlers and check out a piece of chain in that size.

Ive tried several times to find just whom makes scale chain and couldnt come up with anything either. Not even the jewelery type chain gets small enough to match prototype chain in HO, close but not qute close enough. Ive also walked through craft stores trying to find the small stuff in thier department of necklace chain type products.

Back