Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris, are you a private pilot? I was at one time, also.

Mark: No, I'm not a pilot. The photo was taken by my son, from a UH-60. His Squadron is returning from Ft. Bliss to Ft. Drum, and they happened to fly over the mine, enroute to Pikeville, KY for a fuel and meal stop at the local airport. Flying cross country in a helicopter, is a great way to see the country.

Boris

Good morning, y'all. 41° and cloudy. After today,looks like wet weather through next Tuesday. :(

Boris

Paint job { halfway there } Dcc Fitted { many thanks to terry & Hunslett for the Dcc info }
i am pleased with the result so far
just a quick note on the Dcc decoder , i was going to fit a Lais Decoder to the unit
but then found a Zen Decoder in my spares box
the Zen is fantastic as it is Really small and compact { would be great for N Gauge }
so if anybody is thinking of doing a hardwire dcc , check out the Zen decoder , if you are tied for space it may suit you .
ok off for a coffee :)
IMG_20190411_125459.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 67° and partly cloudy. It isn't supposed to get any warmer today after 89° yesterday, and depending on which forecast is correct, it will drop to near 40° before dawn tomorrow. Something about a cyclone that Chet is sending this way. Barometer is relatively low at 29.40" but will be steadily increasing to near 30.00 " over the next 24 hours. A sausage and cheese biscuit and some orange juice will do it for me this morning Flo.
I climbed on the tractor and mowed some more yesterday, cut the SW corner and most of the 400' x 25' drainage swale on the west. Today I revisit the immediate back yard that I did last Sunday, and might just get some of the area around the pond. Half of my hayfield is ready for planting, we plant Sudangrass, a rapidly growing species that reaches 5' - 6' in about two months. The other half of the hayfield is left to natural grasses like Johnson Grass. Some years it actually outperforms the Sudan! Later in the day, my neighbor and I went to view the Medal of Honor motorcade, see last paragraph.
Thanks for the comments and likes on yesterday's grain elevator pictures, Chet, Justin, Jim, Phil, Dave, Mark, Curt, Garry, and anyone else whom I may have overlooked. Curt, the elevator is a Walther's ADM Grain Elevator kit. The larger storage bin is also from Walther's and the smaller one as well as the elevator kit are both from Rix Products. Just by coincidence, all of the ACF covered hoppers are kits from Accurail, I see one PS-1 ribside kit from P2K in the picture.
Here's a business that I don't believe that I have posted before, Import Motors, a plastic kit from Walther's. Makes good use of all of those "Fresh Cherries" vehicles that I got at Wally World about ten or twelve years ago.
12-26-13 015.JPG

Once again, I had limited time in the train shed yesterday, household tasks, yard duty and the motorcade predominated. Continued doing some scenery and painted and installed the large doors on Oakleaf Industries. Also painted the base and started the roof on the office building.

Chet -
Some times I don't know what day of the weeks it is. Retirement is nice.
Same here, I have to look at the lower right corner of the computer screen to see what Bill Gates says.
Greg - I never thought about Wisconsin not having any coal mines. Like the scrapyard scene, especially the use of the boxcar doors. Your caption indicates that it is from someone else's layout, you don't know who, do you?
Dave - I also like the Roundhouse kits, but all of mine on the layout are much more modern equipment, post 1965 or so.
Beady - Best wishes on your medical issues. I hope that you get some relief very soon. Tramadol, wow! Powerful stuff, be careful.
Mark -
Guten Tag herr Frauleins!
To the best of my limited German language memory, you posted "Good Day mr. Misses!

Forgot to mention yesterday was the annual Medal of Honor Motorcade from DFW airport to Gainesville TX (my county seat and where my wife's office is located). They pretty much close down IH 35 northbound through this area, (at rush hour no less) and all overpasses are full with fire trucks and large flags and banners along with thousands of onlookers. The motorcade itself is led by several hundred bikers and is usually 9-10 miles long. This is all in preparation for a parade in Gainesville on Saturday.
Medal of Honor Parade
1554985931402.png

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 29 and wet outside. We got about 6" of wet heavy snow. Too thick to run through the snow thrower, just in from some shoveling.

Greg--great scrap yard scene

Mark-- you are very lucky to be enjoying sun today!

Karl, I wish we were mowing lawns

Willie-- another nice layout photo

Here is today's layout shot, the NP GP-18 with a little shack and the signal (which actually works)

_MG_5592.jpg

More later, Dave

Morning all...

Sunny and 40 this morning with a high of 51 (after being 87 yesterday). Supposed to get to 30 overnight, which shouldn't bother the peach trees than are finishing up blooming. They are usually cold hardy to about 27. Apples haven't started yet, but they are generally later anyway.

I finished up most of the ramp to the lift bridge, I just need to figure out what I'm attaching it to to keep it stable and happy. Probably a 2" x 4" painted a blue to resemble water at the bottom of a gorge. I've got to keep it simple so there's less room for error.

Attachments

• 20190410_185305.jpg
    20190410_185305.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 143
Morning all...

Sunny and 40 this morning with a high of 51 (after being 87 yesterday). Supposed to get to 30 overnight, which shouldn't bother the peach trees than are finishing up blooming. They are usually cold hardy to about 27. Apples haven't started yet, but they are generally later anyway.

I finished up most of the ramp to the lift bridge, I just need to figure out what I'm attaching it to to keep it stable and happy. Probably a 2" x 4" painted a blue to resemble water at the bottom of a gorge. I've got to keep it simple so there's less room for error.

That is really really nice work

Crossing the Monongahela River between Homestead and Braddock. The old blast furnace is the Carrie Blast furnace, National historic Site.
Monongahela River 4-11-2019.jpg

Homestead is on the left, Braddock on the right.

Boris

Good Morning - Supposed to be 73 with clear and calm today
Lots of Nice looking photos lately - That scrap yard is fantastic!

Good morning. 31 degrees to start off the day with a light covering of snow outside.

Justin - I am really enjoying your photos of the coal trains. Keep them coming.

Greg
- Sweet photo of the salvage yard. Well done.

Chooch
- The FA unit is looking good. Waiting to see the next installment. I am also an Alco fan.

Patrick
- That is one outstanding looking bridge. Well done.

Dave
- Another excellent photo.

Joe - really like your aerial photos. would be interesting to try to model something like this, but what a space hog.

Willie
- Nice job on the car dealership. Keep those photos coming.

Have to leave soon for a visit to the physical therapist. I'm sure that she'll give me a good work out. Better get the pain relievers ready. Here are a couple more photos.

Fill'er up.

thumbnail_20190410_105557.jpg

Just finished icing the reefer cars. Time for a break.

thumbnail_20190405_101517.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and waiting for the mixed bag of wet weather to arrive. Maybe three inches of snow from yesterday.

Taking it easy today....just some small projects in the train room. I have a Walther's MainLine locomotive that I can't get apart so I'll take it to Walthers tomorrow and let them pull the monster apart. I just can't get the cab off and only two tabs hold it in place. These Mainline locomotives for the money run fairly decent. I did buy a C&NW F unit with DCC on clearance for $59.00. You have to watch the clearance table at Walther's for bargains. I once purchased Walther's Gold Line 12 pack of UP ore cars for $29.00.

Dave:
I checked on what I was wondering about which trains run up and down the Great River road and found out that the BNSF s on the east side of the rive and CP rail on the west side. I don't know if any other roads have trackage rights on these routes. We might plan a trip to the Mississippi River this summer and stay at one of the river towns where the hotels face the tracks and do some rail fanning while relaxing.

Nice photograph that you posted today.

Willie:
That photograph of the Medal of Honor Memorial Ride you posted reminds me of when Harley has their anniversary events in Milwaukee and thousands of bikers come to Milwaukee. The parade has at least 10,000 bikes and closes all the roads they use for the parade. These events bring lots of $$$ to Milwaukee. The Harley dealers go all out with events of their own with food and live music. A fellow at work used to host a three day Harley party that gained national attention and bikers from all over the country came to Paul's parties. Many of them camped in his yard and attended the Harley events at the lake front during the day and partied at night at Paul's'.

None of Paul's neighbors ever said anyting about the bike traffic that was non-stop or the loud music. Most neighbors came to one or more of the nights parties.

Chet: I really like the photo of the ice platform and the fellows loading ice. Nice looking reefer.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################################

IMG_0374.JPG

The C&NW caboose and gon are on the track that wil lead to the new freight yard. The mainline is just behind them. -Greg

Afternoon fellers. Another day closer to Friday. Been pretty bland week this week so far. Temperatures are on the rise this week and therefore so are the can you fix my AC in my truck problems. Joys of being a mechanic. Moving on. I'm gonna share a Western Maryland pic of the yard in Elkins,WV. Pay attention to the turnout on the right hand side. I know I've thrown fits over my atlas snap switches having a curve to them. Didn't know they are modeled after a prototype! I'll throw in a couple scenery type photos too.
elkinsrailyard.png
15co3783-8226ebemptieseastendpikevillecutthru-asf.jpg
That's it for now.

Howdy. ... Evidently, I need a translator for comments by Mark, Toot, and Chooch . LOL

Boris... I like the photos from the air.

Chooch ... It sounds like a tiny decoder.

Willie ... I like the auto dealer. Ice photo of the honor parade.

Dave.... Nice photo with the NP GP18.

Chet ... more great photos from Logan Valley. I hope the PT is not too painful.

Patrick ... Nice looking bridge.

Greg ... you certainly got a good deal on the F unit. Your photo looks great.

Justin ... I like the photos you posted.

Happy Model Railroading , everybody.

Good afternoon, Boris, I like your river shot with the blast furnace. We were working in a steel mill last week, located right on the Mississippi.

Greg-- my wife wants to take a riverboat down the Mississippi some day. It would be a good way to watch trains. Not sure if that will be for a few years, though.

Here are a couple shots from inside the mill, first the furnace we were taking cores out of, second just a general photo. They left stuff laying around everywhere, really massive stuff

Here is a shot of a couple of us taking a core out of the cement wall:

IMG_0442.jpg

Here is a general photo. We were working behind from where I am standing. That buggy in the bottom center (filled with slag and scraps) is the old machine that run on the tracks we are standing next to in the first photo. It has a 65 ton capacity and above it is a huge burner/oven of some sort.

IMG_0444.jpg

more later, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back