Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe that if I'm ever fortunate enough to win the lottery I will have two homes. One in Michigan for summer use and one on the Flora-Bama line for the winter time. I'll just keep my layout in a 53-foot container so I can take it from one house to the other.
I had a friend that did that for many years. He built a layout in a 40' moving van.He also got the idea to display it at carnivals, fairs, etc, and managed to recover most of his investment over the years. After he died, the layout was donated to the railroad club/museum in Palatka, FL, where it was carefully removed from the trailer, and placed in a permanent building.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with one house and I could never be far from my kids and grandkids.

Sending my kids to college and one to the army was hard. I wondered where they would end up afterwards. All three of my kids own homes within 3 miles of me. Thank God.

1551186851859.png

January 25, 1972: Following a salary dispute the St. Louis Cardinals traded 20-game winner Steve Carlton to the Philadelphia Phillies for pitcher Rick Wise. "Lefty" and his devastating slider had a season for the ages with the Phillies in '72. Carlton pitched 346.1 innings with a 1.97 ERA, 310 strikeouts and 27 wins, and he pitched 30 complete games. He was the unanimous NL Cy Young Award winner. Amazingly, Carlton won nearly half of the Phillies’ games that season—27 of 59.
Better times were ahead for the Phillies as Carlton led them to a World Series championship in 1980 and another World Series appearance in 1983. Carlton went 3-0 during the 1980 postseason with a 2.30 ERA, and won the World Series-clinching Game 6. Overall, Carlton won four Cy Young awards for the Phillies (1972, 1977, 1980, 1982) and finished his Hall of Fame career with 329 wins and 4,136 strikeouts, good for fourth all time.

Baseball Digest

Good Morning Everyone. 50° and cloudy this morning. Wind is out of the southeast, so that means rain tomorrow.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I started some ground cover in the area between the road and the track. This is the area where "Miracle Chair", "Security Locksmith", and "Bruckner Woodworking" are located. Still adding details and figures to the otherwise completed area across the road. Not making much progress with trees right now, but I did add another one yesterday. I also need to assemble and paint a few more motorcycles for the "roadhouse" next to Jack's junkyard. Forgot to take any additional pictures, but here's a couple of slightly out of focus ones of the area behind Jack's next to the fence that I added a few days ago.
02-21-19 028.JPG

02-21-19 030.JPG

Wow! Snow drifts in Minnesota, mudslides in Tennessee and North Carolina, flooding in Alabama, Louis on the road in Maryland; not a good time to be traveling in any of those regions.
Garry - Sad to read about Shelly's mom. Continued prayers for her and your family from me.
Greg -
There's several cases of old wine in bottles that needs to be dumped. I have no idea how old the bottles are but each bottle I know been in the basement for at least 10 years. Any ideas?
I'd try it first.
Beady -
Nobody likes a smartass.
Just wait until I report those triple-digit days in July and August. We hit 113° a couple of times last year.
Curt - I occasionally can get a good-looking tree. Even the "store-bought" ones don't look realistic enough for me up close. From three feet away, most are passable.
Tom - Interesting video link of the blowing ice.
Louis - How's Aunt Joan doing?

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 36 and partly sunny out there. Need a big cup of coffee right now.

Well, we're back after 8 days in Florida. I had to attend a conference in Orlando, and I wanted my wife to have a bit of a vacation after her radiation treatments before going back to work, so we tacked a couple of days onto each end of the conference. Was good for both of us.

Of course, first thing I did when we got home last night was run trains for a half hour and pick up where I left off on some structure builds. Well, actually it was the second thing - first thing was to bring the luggage in from the car and go to the bathroom!!!! Or is that the first two things?!?!

Hard to come back to 36 degrees after upper 80s every day. Those of you who live in Florida - I envy you - - until the hurricanes hit!! We lived in Lakeland for five years, 2002-2007, a couple of those were the worst hurricane years ever. Still, I think I'd rather live where there's a 12-month growing season than a half a year of winter, and just deal with the hurricanes when they come. Retirement's not too far off, so I'm keeping that in mind.

Have a good day everyone.

Willie I love the pictures, thank you for sharing. I'm getting some ideas for when I get going!

I did not get any reports about Aunt Joan yesterday. I pray no news is good news and I know her recovery will be a long slow process. The last I heard she had been transferred to a rehabilitation center and was improving.

I was unable to go to see her yesterday, my wife had jury duty, I was her chauffer. In-between I had some shopping to do and my grandson to pickup from school. My wife did not get released from jury duty until a little after 5:30pm. She was almost selected for a criminal case, but the defense attorney did not want her. I did pickup my wife at lunch time. I brought sandwiches and because of parking, we ate in the Old Town Mall a not so nice area of downtown Baltimore, but she felt safe with me. It's a historic area, but as fallen into disrepair. Most of the shops are boarded up and most of the rest are "shady". She had an hour and fifteen minutes for lunch, I was happy to spend time with her. My wife is funny, she was so happy they gave her $15 for lunch and she said our picnic lunch was fun.

My cousin Cindy is handling things for Aunt Joan and she works full time as an office manager. I don't want to call her because sleep has been at a premium for her. I expect to hear from her or one of my other cousins today. I hope so my Mom is worried, Aunt Joan is my Mom's youngest sister. Their mother died when they were young and my Mom raised my Aunt Joan. Everybody thinks my Mom is so hard/tough, but I know better, she lets her guard down with me, but only with me.

I did not get much chance to rest my legs yesterday, I'm going to try again today. I found what looks to be an interesting movie on Netflix "The Outlaw King" it's about Robert the Bruce and the events after the capture and execution of William Wallace. I only watched about 20 minutes before I realized I had stuff to do.

Have a great day Everybody!

One for the road, this old girl needs a bath and a trip to the paint shop.
1551190841966.png

I was trying to make a quote to the "winter wonderland" post. Here in Minnesota they say, they came here for a football game and couldn't leave because the car wouldn't start.

Good morning, an even 0 today with bright sun out there! Expecting more snow tomorrow. The major freeway here, I 35 was closed for 48 hours while crews tried clearing snow. And, that was the southern part of the state!

Thanks for the comments on the layout photo's, here is todays contribution.

a final view 013p.JPG

I hope you all have an above average day!

I have a hard enough time keeping up with one house and I could never be far from my kids and grandkids.

Sending my kids to college and one to the army was hard. I wondered where they would end up afterwards. All three of my kids own homes within 3 miles of me. Thank God.

When I was in high school I couldn’t wait to get out of my small town. As my wife, and I have gotten older we now live very close to our parents.

Good morning. Not as cold this morning at -7. The expected high is expected to be in the single digits again. We got up to +4 yesterday. I am over winter. By the time the snow tapered off yesterday, we had about 14 inches. Got out and plowed the driveway. My son showed up when I was anout to clear the edges with the snowblower. I gladly let him do that chore. Widened the driveway by about 4 feet on each side. I think these snow banks may be around until April. An additionall 3 to 5 inches expected today.

Interesting article about a snowbound Amtrack train in Oregon. A repeat of the SP train on Donner Pass?.

http://www.wtoc.com/2019/02/26/passengers-trapped-more-than-hours-stranded-amtrak-train-oregon/

Sherrel
- I think there are a few more states that are a Winter Wonderland this year.

Tom
- That is some video.

Justin
- Glad the baby is getting well. Grouchy kids can get difficult.

Willie - Those are some really nice photos. The scenery is really coming along nicely. Great job.

Louis
- Nice shot of the B&O geep.

Dave
- The lumbler mill photos is sweet. Thanks for posting.

Here's a rail photo for today.

TrainTracks1.jpg

Later

Morning rail fans!
Have no fear -- Spring is on the way. Clear here and supposed to reach 65 today - a warming trend is in effect.
Mike - It's nice to be near relativies -- mine are all clear accross the Country. As I get older, I am missing them more all the time! Louis, you are fornatute (this puter does not spellcheck) that your kids are close, unless they are "leaching"?
Johnny - I guess that if you took the bags with you to the bathroom - you could say that they were both 1st on the list?
Mark - no ones complaining over your snow lamentations! We have not heard Chet cussing it YET, but that could change any day - LOL :p

Need to fill the cup again, and check on a couple things .. back later.

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and Chet's snow on the way tonite and tomorrow.

Sherrel: The winter here has been crazy so far since late January. The NWS is located at Mitchell Field in Milwaukee near Lake Michigan and the lake influences the weather at the airport and the records are not representative of what happens elsewhere in southern Wisconsin. So far since the end of January:

Two ice storms.
Polar Vortex with temperature for a low of -30 at our house.
Record snowfall.
Record string of low temperatures of 23 days.

(We have had worst winters with a lot more snow and cold weather.)

BTW we last Sunday there was a 131 car accident on Interstate 41 due to blowing snow causing a white out. 71 people injured and one killed.

Back down to the layout later. I sure like using a piece of cork roadbed for track cleaning. To remove acrylic paint from the railheads I dip the cork into a container of alcohol. This method leaves the track shiny and in a like new condition without any damage to the railhead. I then follow up with a coat of ACT 6006 Track Cleaner/Conditioner.

Willie: Great looking building! There's a company that offers trees for architectural model makers that are very realistic and expensive. I'll look for the name of the company and pass it along to you.

Dave: Again an interesting photograph and modeling of the lumber yard. Speaking of football and cold weather... several years ago we attending the NFC Championship game between Green Bay and Carolina at Lambeau Field. Stepped off the bus and was greeted to -8 degrees actual temperature. The fans from Carolina were miserable!!! I was eating a brat and drinking a beer bare handed before they both froze solid when a Carolina fan walked over to me and asked how could we live in such a place?

That's all for now....

Greg

###############################

IMG_0243.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back