Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's like making hard boiled eggs, I'm doing that right now.

My wife puts them in cold water, brings them to a boil for 10 minutes.

I put them into boiling salt water for 10 minutes. I crack some eggs doing it that way, but my hard boiled eggs are always perfect! I use the cracked eggs to make egg salad.

TERRY - I think we were cut from the same "bolt". Don't remember seeing the Kettles, but I did like Beverly Hillbillies. My mother never failed to say how silly and stupid it was. Anymore, I don't watch maybe 2-3 shows a week, but don't you dare take away my westerns - Thems fighting words! Just watched Crossfire Trail last night - Tom Sellect ranks right up there with Eastwood in my book. Red Skelton was one of my dad's favorites - my mother used to say, "I just don't see why you two waste your time watching that - it's Silly!" She liked L Welk and Liberache!
I'm still asleep - plz ignore the spelling, and on the computer that dosen't correct shet. They were born in 06 and 09.
Wasn't much to listen too on the radio - only a couple stations were around. I remember the Louisana Hayride and some station from Del Rio, TX, that I think reached half of the U.S. Finally got a TV in the mid 50's. Dad put up a 75 foot antena so we could get 2 stations, both located 70-80 miles away and with so much "snow" that it was hard to see the baseball during the World Series.

It;s 41 degrees going to 68 today - everything is "budding out"
CHET/Mark -- Don't give up -- It's coming around the bend, I hear the whistle blowing!

Good Morning All. 56° and foggy here in North Central Texas this morning. The rain in today's forecast has been removed and the high today has been lowered to only 60°. Another "norther" will hit us around noon with winds in the 15 mph range and a temperature drop of 30 degrees by nightfall. High tomorrow of only 50°. Big change coming Sunday - Wednesday with the overnight lows around 20°. Time to cover the rows of onions in the garden with the stockpile of last fall's leaves.
Actually had to use the weedeater yesterday on a few areas that have become grown up. The growth is too spotty to justify running the tractor, and getting it to where it is needed would have left major ruts in parts of the saturated ground in the yard.
I am more than happy just to see pictures of all of the snow. Just keep it where it's at!:cool: It does snow here sometimes, here's a picture from March 10, 2008; of the snow on the pool deck stairs.
03-10-08 005.jpg

Of course, this is just a light dusting to some of you guys. In 2014, we actually had four snow events of 10" or more in one season. That year a judge approved an injunction against the county road maintenance commissioners requiring them to use their road graders to clear county roads so emergency services could get through to people like us in the boonies.

Thanks to all who commented and liked yesterday's pictures, Louis, Tom, Dave, Sherrel, Chet, Greg, Joe, Curt, Johnny, Garry, David and anyone else that I may have overlooked. I like detailing and my inspiration is George Selios although I don't think that I come close to his level.

Still working on ground cover on the layout, but I spent more time running trains than on the current project. I did paint and assemble a few more mailboxes and painted some additional figures to add into the scene.

Louis -
Willie I love the pictures, thank you for sharing. I'm getting some ideas for when I get going!
Looking forward to helping with inspiration whenever the time comes. In the meantime, just keep enjoying running them around the trees.
Gene -
Good morning....a sunny 79 degrees with a light 7mph breeze from the east and 70% humidity :cool:
You're obviously not in Montreal right now!
Garry - I like the farmhouse. I used to see a lot of them that looked like that around here, but most have disappeared now.
Terry - You're not alone. We weren't even allowed to turn the TV on until 5:00, when we finally got one in 1961!

That's it for now, everybody have ab awesome day.

Good morning, 25° and sunny. Looks like the threatened snow will stay to our North, (where it belongs).

Terry: My parents used to censor my TV watching also. I agree with you that contemporary TV sucks. After watching numerous programs from the 60s through 9s on the "Re-run" channels, I've come to the conclusion that TV programing sucked back then also. If it wasn't for Hockey and Baseball, I wouldn't need a TV at all.

Sherrel: Cannot agree on Selleck. Not only that I dislike most of the characters he played and the programs he headlined. He's the slime ball that pitches Reverse Mortgages to older folks on TV, coming across as trustworthy advice...

For some reason, I woke up in a foul mood this morning, hope that quickly dissipates.

Boris

Good morning everyone. 41 and cloudy. Winter is returning, hitting lows in the single digits next Monday and Tuesday. Why did I come back from Florida????

Garry and Curt - So far I've met two of the forum's members: Garry and Shelly and several of their friends for a dinner train ride in Branson, MO last year, and I met Willie at a train store in Texas last year as well. I'll look forward to meeting Curt in Orlando some time. We were supposed to go back to Orlando in August for a conference at the OCCC, but it looks like we're being passed over for that one. If nothing else, we will probably go back next February, and if so I'll stay in touch with you, Curt.

Ran trains for 15 minutes and did some more structure building, but that's about it. I need some quality time down in the train room!!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. One more day of February left. Starting the day off at +1. Heat wave. May get up to 20 this afternoon. We have all sorts of warning out. Winter Storm Watch, Winter weather Advisory, Avalanche Warnings and flood warning due to ice jams on the rivers. A number of the mountain passes are closed and even Interstate 90 has had a number of closures.

The neighbor has a skid steer with a plow and was nice enough to clear the driveway enough to make it passable. I would like to move some more snow around but there is more snow in the forecast. We haven't had a winter like this in a long time. I am running out of room to put the snow.

Louis
- When I saw that photo of the MRL locomotives, I knew right where it was taken. Nice photos.

Garry
- Excellent photo. Like the scene a lot.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train_tracks_and_approaching_train_by_ffelkat-d5cw2ls.jpg

I think a nice warm train room would be place to hide out today.

Later

Good morning gang

TV, Saturday morning cartoons and Sunday evenings with Lassie & Disney was about it until I was a teenager, then it was just the news during dinner (TV was on top of the fridge) or later in the evening TV (Dad loved All in the Family and Benny Hill) Even today, I've got over 200 channels to watch, and Bud the dog watches more TV than me. (animal planet)

Louis, did we just drift into Galloping Gourmet territory?? :rolleyes:

Terry brain surgeons, they are everywhere!!

Chet/Mark/Willie/Sherrel,
I know what snow looks like!! (we're on schedule for Sunday later into Monday)

Sherrel. I'm with Boris on this one. Selleck doesn't look right as a cowboy, I keep waiting for him to revert to a flowery Hawaiian shirt.o_O

Maybe before I do - I will take a lesson from our newest Galloping Gourmet ... Chef Louis ... and go boil some eggs!
Only 7 minutes for me though!

My parents were born in 1917 and 1920, and their idea of entertainment was significantly different because they grew up, and spent a good part of their lives, with nothing except maybe a radio for entertainment. I think at least some of that wore off on me, because I can't remember the last time I deliberately sat down and watched any television program. Of course, part of that is because modern TV programs pretty much suck...

My Dad was born in 1911 and Mom in 1916. While my Mom probably had an easier childhood, my dad was one of 11 children and as such had to quit school in the 8th grade as he had to start providing income for his family. So, they where basically in the same situation as yours.

The earliest entertainment I can remember is the Lone Ranger on the Radio, and I think I remember the Bickersons. Then, I vaguely remember when we got our first TV, with the bunny ears for an antenna. I was in 8th grade when I saw my first color TV at a friend's house.

My MIL's sister died last night, in England. That's where my MIL's from. My BIL lives near her, so he's taking point on telling her, but I expect we'll be making some trips to Detroit over the next few days, especially if they make arrangements to Facetime the funeral. MIL is coming up on 96, and her sister was almost 99, so things could be a bit delicate. MIL is also the last survivor of 7 siblings.

My MIL's sister died last night, in England. That's where my MIL's from. My BIL lives near her, so he's taking point on telling her, but I expect we'll be making some trips to Detroit over the next few days, especially if they make arrangements to Facetime the funeral. MIL is coming up on 96, and her sister was almost 99, so things could be a bit delicate. MIL is also the last survivor of 7 siblings.

So sorry to hear that, my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast and had about 3 inches of snow overnight. Now here comes the cold.

Plans for the layout today. I have a seam in the plywood sub roadbed where the flat of the yard meets the slow incline up to th Saxeville Yard. Plan on filling the seam with ground foam of various colors. Should of filled this seam earlier, but its the last major work in this area other than some ballast touch up on the main.

Spilled a small container of alcohol on a sheet of flat cork. Boy, does that cork ever expand and I needed to use a heavy duty stapler to attach the expanding cork to the plywood. Had experienced similar problems where I over-wet the cork when doing scenery work. Nothing like working with the vapors of alcohol filling the air.

Started doing some wiring diagrams of the layout's electrical system. Amazing what you all forgot after several years have gone by like where does the yellow wire run to or what does it feed? As anyone done the wiring phase of achieving the Master Model Railroader certification?

That's all for now....

Greg

################

100_1496.JPG

Visiting ore cars from the Logan Valley Railroad....the area where the Milwaukee Box car is where I'm finishing the scenery. Its a larger area than it looks in the photograph.

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed the Forum starting to lag again, or is it just on my end? I noticed yesterday on my phone, and last night on the home Pc.

Anyone else noticed the Forum starting to lag again, or is it just on my end? I noticed yesterday on my phone, and last night on the home Pc.
Yes, both modelrrforums and rrforums have started timing out again.
I’ll have to send a note to forum HQ about the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back