Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1545874149899.png

Workers comp is a non-starter. I spoke to a workers comp attorney, and he said there is no way to prove an injury I experienced at home could be proven to have occured at work, and all I would accomplish by trying would be to lose my job. And with my current ailment, I would be considered non-hireable.

Terry: Think back carefully if there wasn't some incident that happened during the time you were getting on, driving the tractor or getting off it when you may have noticed some discomfort that latter on got worse !?
Maybe something like a slight pulled muscle ?

Terry: Think back carefully if there wasn't some incident that happened during the time you were getting on, driving the tractor or getting off it when you may have noticed some discomfort that latter on got worse !?
Maybe something like a slight pulled muscle ?
Basically David, the Boss is saying that Terry is a liar. Great recognition for all the work and years of service and putting up with the crap. Eh! It's what you call industrial relations as seen from the viewpoint of an arsehole.

I think I'm beginning to feel a lot stronger as I was able to do quite a bit more today than I thought I could as well as having more energy even tonight, so I think the worst of it is over for me thank God.

David - Trussrod said:
The CF 7's are very nice too, I'll bet they can pull a considerable number of cars!

Willie said: Actually no. They are like most non-Genesis Athearn locomotives rather underweight. However I have added 2 1/2 oz of stick-on weights to each one and each on it's own can now pull around twenty cars. I still double and triple-head them for looks though. It was rare to ever see a single loco pull an ATSF train, whether needed or not, even on secondary lines...at least around here.
Nice story about your cat.

Willie: That's rather interesting as I would have thought that Athearn would have
had them more prototypical weighted so they would pull something like what your able to now ! And I imagine the all of cars you had coupled together all had
metal wheels and free rolling trucks. I agree that double and triple heading looks a lot better. I imagine being that the F7's were all basically the same that they all run about the same speed ?

About what I posted prior about the free house doors I seem to have become all fouled up as far as the wording, I apologize. What I was trying to say was that you might want to consider adding external hangers that had rollers and rode in the tracks along the top to allow them to be slid from side to side fairly easily. The two hangers per door most generly became fairly rusty as they exposed to the weather being on the outside. Rather odd they didn't include that detail ?

I've just finished watching a video of Soundtraxx's George Bogatuck (spelling) pulling the decoder and smoke system from a Broadway Limited Incorporated Paragon 4-8-2 Pennsylvania locomotive. This video was on MRH's What's Neat in Model Railroading for the month of December. After removing the BLI Decoder and smoke Installation, George re-installs a Tsunami 2 sound system in the locomotive. While I would turn off and not use the smoke system, I don't know that I would remove the BLI Decoder and re-install another sound decoder. This seems like he is saying the the Tsunami 2 is far superior to the BLI System, which might be true (I have no idea). Still, to remove one manufacturer's perfectly usable sound decoder and install someone else's seems like spending money unnecessarily!

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just finished watching a video of Soundtraxx's George Bogatuck (spelling) pulling the decoder and smoke system from a Broadway Limited Incorporated Paragon 4-8-2 Pennsylvania locomotive. This video was on MRH's What's Neat in Model Railroading for the month of December. After removing the BLI Decoder and smoke Installation, George re-installs a Tsunami 2 sound system in the locomotive. While I would turn off and not use the smoke system, I don't know that I would remove the BLI Decoder and re-install another sound decoder. This seems like he is saying the the Tsunami 2 is far superior to the BLI System, which might be true (I have no idea). Still, to remove one manufacturer's perfectly usable sound decoder and install someone else's seems like spending money unnecessarily!

What do you think?
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

BLI’s Paragon 3 decoder is much more reliable than their Paragon 2. The issue with the 3 is that it is designed for their under-layout subwoofer, and all the bass sounds are sent to that instead of the onboard speaker.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 50° out there today. Exactly 1" in the rain gauge from the last 24 hours, most falling shortly after we arrived home last night around 6:30; maybe a quarter inch during the earlier part of the day. Expecting the wind to shift northerly late this afternoon and cooler weather prevailing for a while. After all, it's winter, range between 30° and 55° for at least the next ten days. Chance of snow is 0%.
Today is a day of rest after the Christmas marathon. Very surprisingly, I gained only one pound, expected many more. I could lose that much by getting a haircut and trimming my beard!:rolleyes:
I did get out to the train shed after returning home last night to examine the presents received Tuesday.
12-27-18 001.JPG

12-27-18 003.JPG

The 100+ figures from China that my son gave me are "passengers". I will start by removing the "oriental bun" from the tops of all heads (actually a sloppy sprue connection point that wasn't removed) and repainting the black hair (everyone of them is black) into other shades. Many of the seated figures will be used in the three Greyhound Scenicruiser buses (from Classic Metal Works) and an empty school bus (Boley) that I have. Some foot removal may be necessary for fit. Luggage will be trimmed away from others since I don't have any passenger trains, stations or depots. Many of them will get new paint jobs since the painting job on them is shoddy to begin with and I will go for variety like I will be doing for the hair. I envision blue jeans on most of the male figures. Even with the additional effort, this is a very satisfactory gift. Who cannot use this many more figures? Even with all of the inevitable duplication, there appears to be at least 29 different poses.

Ray - Where did you come up with that video of Chet bowling?
Garry - Have a safe trip to Cincinnati
Several $65 bottles of wine ? That's remarkable.
Even more remarkable is that was the price after the 30% off sale! Honestly, that wine wasn't any better than the stuff that I purchase for $15/bottle! It was some brand of imported Merlot.
Very nice haul of automobiles that you received.
Tom -
The cats wouldn't last outside due to the fox and coyotes around.
My cats hang out mostly in the barn at night, but I have lost a few over the years. It is normally not due to coyotes since they cannot climb trees, but to "Snagglepuss" the local mountain lion that lives about a quarter mile away!
Sherrel - As I posted last week, if you have something that you don't want, put it into an Amazon box and leave it unattended on the porch for a few hours.

That's all for now. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all,

Rainy, and 40 degrees out. I guess the plus of it being rain is that its not white, and fluffy. Looks like a cold shot later in the week.

Got a lot of my work bench cleaned and organized yesterday, but still much to do. Hopefully my lights will arrive from Amazon tomorrow as promised. The area only has 1 incandescent bulb lighting it. The 2 4Ft LED fixtures will flood the area, and I can see what I'm doing.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning. 21 degrees to start off the day.

Christmas was a busy day. We went over to my daughters to have breakfast and give the grand kids their presents and then over to my son and daughter in laws for Christmas dinner. Yesterday I took a trip over to Deer Lodge to visit with family.. It was sort of a reunion as many had moved out of state and all had gathered there for the holidays.

Today should be a fun day for the dogs. They both are going to the vet for their annual checkup and shots. I guess I'll make their day.

Ray - Liked the bowling video. I enjoy watching the trick shot videos and never saw one like that before.

Garry - Nice photo. Those oxford vehicles are getting better with each new release. They have a few new ones in the pipeline that should be winners. The 61 Impala is a bit too new for my layout.

Terry - I with you when it comes to Christmased out. Glad it's finally over. Employers hate work comp claims and it is no suprise they are fighting it. Bummer.

Louis -
Nice photos.

Willie
- I have some of the figures from China and what gets me is the horrible colors that many are painted. Most require repainting.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train-way-243902_960_720.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone...overcast and heavy rain is coming!

We had window replacements scheduled for this morning and just over an hour before the scheduled start the installer called and said he's not coming due to weather. I guess he doesn't watch the weather forecasts that have been saying heavry rain to be here today for days. We used the comapny before and never had any problems.

Train day after the hospital this morning for blood tests.

I want to try my Weller Soldering station.

I have to try to use the Kadee uncoupler magnets I installed at the mine hopper entrances. They should work properly.

That's all for now.

Greg

###################

201810209511425795HDR(2).jpg

This isn't Christmas at the cabin, but mid-April!

Last edited:
I enjoy music and I keep the radio on when I'm working on the layout. I did another U-Tube of trains running and it was perfect and then I realised that I could hear the radio in the back ground after I played the recording back.

I also play some tapes of freights and locomotives that get me into the railroad mood.

Greg

Good morning, y'all. 33° and sunny. We got back yesterday evening, stopping to pick up Molly the (Bad) cat. Today, we need to get groceries and a few other things. I started reading the messages I missed, and still have six pages to go. I'll get to them and the PMs later in the day. Needless to say, the drive, both up and back, was uneventful. Northern New York was of course cold, with near constant light snow. Fortunately, we did not encounter the whiteout conditions between exit 32 and Exit 42 on I 81, (Between Adams and Pulaski), like we did last year.

My wife and I have not as yet exchanged gifts, they're all under our little 4' tree in the family room, as are all the gifts from my younger son.

Boris

Good morning, everybody.

Sherrel, Louis, Curt, Willie, Chet and anyone I overlooked . ..... Thanks much for commenting on my photo of Oxford model cars. The '61 Chev as I said is much like a '62 convertible I owned when I was in my 20's. So, the model brings back many good memories.

Louis ... You have many photos and comments. Can't comment on all. .... As for the shop light, I have changed from fluorescent to LED shop lights and garage lights, and I am very pleased with LED's. I would not want blu tooth speakers in them, however. Your grandson looks happy.

David ..... I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

Chet .... It sounds like a full day of celebrations on Christmas with your family. I am trying to remember which year you have set fr your layout. Maybe '57 or '58. ...My layout is 1962, but I am not very strict about it. For example, my steam locomotives belong in the 1940's. My GN sky blue boxcar belongs in the late 1960's. Oh well.

Boris .......I'm glad you are home safely.

Mike ..... You will be pleased with the 4' LED fixtures baed on my experiences with them. I already saw the glitter bomb video. In another case, I saw a video chasing a package thief in her car.

Greg .... I hope the blood tests are routine tests and nothing significant. Regarding Kadee magnets, I have a few installed, and they work okay.

Willie .... That is a lot of people. Tell those 1/87 girls to get dressed. This forum is G rated.

Sorry, i can't comment on all posts. Glad you guys are busy and have much to say.

Happy model railroading.

Last edited:
Brrr ... 33 outside - OK I know that you are laughing at me -- just not used to it anymore.
One of the first things I do each day is check the weather in Silverton, Colorado (lived there year round during the early 70's). Lots of days below zero and most of winter never gets above freezing.
We were used to it back then and just dressed accordingly.

Willie: rather give "stuff" to the homeless than have some low-life steal it, but I'll fill a box with some dog turds for the thieves - spot on, good idea!
Concerning those Chinese figures - I am surprised that they would even bother to paint them at all - whether correctly or not.

Did I tell you guys how much I HATE auto commercials? Cadillac and Land Rover have to be at the top of my disdain list, and what the heck's with the Volvo singing car: You going to buy a car because it sings nice?
I do like the Subaru ones with the pups involved.

OK, better do something constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back