Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Christmastedout - Spousal Unit is taking care of her Mom until Saturday - when she comes home and packs for her Egypt Nile and Med cruise 0n Tuesday for 3-4? weeks? I forget! :eek:
Dogs are asleep on the couch beside me while I try and sell some covered calls to help make up some of the horrendous beat down in the market. :mad:

If it were Springtime - Me and the pups would head back east in the RV while she is gone?
Then I could spend all the time I wanted doing RR related stuff - LOL :)

LOUIS -- Looks like your underware shorts to me - lol :p

I'm making up for lost time.

This morning I discovered the washer was making a terrible sound. It was more than likely the pump, but I was not even willing to put $50 into that old girl!

I went out and I bought this huge new washer that looks like something from the future. The control panel is all digital with cool lights and even a timer to let you know when the wash will be done. It senses the water level, how dirty the clothes are and more. I am fascinated by it! Best of all it's American made!

I'm hoping it can take a bite out of my $75+ per month water bill.

I can't wait to do the next load of wash! It makes me want to buy the matching dyer, but my old dyer runs like a clock.
1545856579025.png

Afternoon All,

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas. We got together at daughter's house and we all had a great time. MOH gave me a pretty complex wooden building kit (FOS scale Gardiner's) and a teaspoon that was used by the Pennsy. She told me to use it next to the coffee pot which I will. I feel it's kind of neat actually using something from the Pennsy everyday.

Next up on the agenda is Prototype Rails 2019 that starts 1/10 in Cocoa Beach. It runs Thu Eve, All day Fri and Sat. The wife is coming along also.

Chet- Really nice layout shots.

Terry- Sad news about the steam roster:(.

Cambria- Nice soldering station.

Toot- I can visualize Chet doing that.:p

Louis- They're going to look good on your future layout.

Garry- Nice looking cars and layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Workers comp is a non-starter. I spoke to a workers comp attorney, and he said there is no way to prove an injury I experienced at home could be proven to have occured at work, and all I would accomplish by trying would be to lose my job. And with my current ailment, I would be considered non-hireable.

TERRY - I'm sorry ... At least it seems that he was honest and not trying to just milk the system for himself. I had (deceased now) a brother in law who was a Workman Comp attorney. He made a nice living "working" the system, and once told me that half of his clients weren't injured - they were just lazy and didn't want to work! If "shiftless" people wouldn't try and milk the system - maybe it wouldn't be so difficult for those who really need it?

Good Afternoon Everyone....just returned from a couple days in north Central Wisconsin. Checked on the cabin and spent X-mas eve and Christmas at a resort. We celebrated Christmas early with relatives at our home.

Thanks everyone for the comments on the posted photo. The terminal is from Walthers and its located on the "old main line" on the C.M. & N. R.

David: The utility poles are from Atlas and I roughed up the poles and then spray painted them a Driftwood color, with some weathering a bit with Pan Pastel Brown and the insulators I paint a Jade Green to represent glass. The wiring is EZ Line from Berkshire Junction and is not too bad to string pole to pole. At the starting point I use a large clamp to hole the end of the line and then start at the lowest outside insulator. Once the line is in place, I use a drop of Instant AC to cement the line in place. Then I can go and string wire to two or three insulators and again use a large clamp to hold the line in place and use AC to hold the wire in place.

Sometimes its hard to keep track of which insulator to use on the next pole!

The AC I use dries dull and is almost impossible to see the AC and a piece of paper towel picks any excess AC. The transformer is from I believe is from Bar Mills.

Chet: Glad your little 70 tonner is back home and that Bachmann did a good job repairing the critter.

Hopefully some trains tomorrow.

That's all for now.

Greg

####################

DM&IR Caboose.jpg

Someone custom painted and decaled a BB caboose for the DM&IR. A rare find at a LHS for $15.00. It just requires a coat of DullKote

Last edited:
They told me it could take between 6 months and 2 years to recover. It's taken me about 11 months to finally recover, but I still feel it if I push myself too hard. At times I completely lost my appetite and was just not capable of doing much more than picking up my grandson from school. Everything suffered, not much of anything got done. No matter what I did it only seemed to get worse, It would come and go, but never left me completely. I knew when my appetite disappeared, it was back.
I fee your pain. I forget whether I posted about it, but I had a (third) coronary stent implanted the middle of November. For follow-on therapy, I have to take a particular blood thinner (Brilanta) for six months to a year. It has several possible side effects, but the only one that's hit me is an induced shortness of breath. This, on top of my asthma, causes me to start gasping and I sometimes almost pass out with virtually any activity, even just standing up.

This has really cut into my project of straightening up the basement, since I can basically do one thing at a time (move a table, etc) before sitting down to rest. The good news is that I've progressed far enough that the basement is beginning to function. For example, I'm writing this in the computer area, and I'm almost ready to start working in the reloading area again for my shooting hobby. I've got one table to clear off before I can start building Legos, and there's just a small pile of stuff to shift out of the way before I can start setting up a train layout.

As long as I'm here, sigh, I might as well unload the rest. My MIL, who lives north of Detroit, went into the hospital Christmas Eve. They're still testing her, but she had a confirmed mild heart attack and there has been a continuing series of "spells," that are probably mini-strokes that cause her to either babble incoherently or to assemble "sentences" out of completely unrelated words. We drove down yesterday, after having a Christmas dinner at my brothers, and things seem to have stabilized. There's been no news today from my brother-in-law, who lives near her; he'll probably call when he gets home from the hospital this evening. To add to the fun, one adult niece, with her mother and father, are all staying at MIL's apartment in the senior home until New Years. Don't get me started on them, since the mother and father add to the problem. I imagine we'll be back down there either tomorrow or the next day.

Hmm... I didn't intend to go on like this, but it just started to flow. Sorry, gang. I know there are others here who have been having a worse time. To coin a phrase, God bless us, everyone, and all who sail in us.

OPPS!
After having the flu for a week, my wife and I were fever free for 24 hours on Christmas morning and had a wonderful celebration with our family. By evening, I was so exhausted, I didn't even assemble my new HAKKO digital soldering station.
This morning, I grabbed the box and headed downstairs to the train room. Assembly was quick and easy, but I did check the instructions to get the heat up to temperature correctly. I soldered a couple power drops to the HO track in about 10% of the time my old soldering iron took.

Now, to try one of the hard to reach drops. I have drilled holes outside the track ties, on the edge of the cork, over a foam base and alligator clamped the bare stranded wire to the rail. I placed my belt buckle on the edge of the layout, anchored it with ample flesh as I stretched out both arms. The nearer side took less than a minute and about an inch of solder wire. The far side was a real stretch and it was hard to keep the tip against both the wire and the rail. The solder started melting after two minutes and I mostly kept tip and solder against the rail. After a couple more minutes and 10 inches of solder wire, I realized something was wrong.
I turn off the station, climb down off the layout and walk around to look at the back side of the connection. The wire is well secured to the rail, but there is a 5/8" hole in the foam base. Oh drat!
Looking under the layout, I see several spatters of solder on the floor, indicating where the last 8" of solder wire ended up.

MORAL of the STORY: Please learn from my experience (operator error) or if you don't, be smart enough not to tell anyone!

I fee your pain. I forget whether I posted about it, but I had a (third) coronary stent implanted the middle of November. For follow-on therapy, I have to take a particular blood thinner (Brilanta) for six months to a year. It has several possible side effects, but the only one that's hit me is an induced shortness of breath. This, on top of my asthma, causes me to start gasping and I sometimes almost pass out with virtually any activity, even just standing up.

This has really cut into my project of straightening up the basement, since I can basically do one thing at a time (move a table, etc) before sitting down to rest. The good news is that I've progressed far enough that the basement is beginning to function. For example, I'm writing this in the computer area, and I'm almost ready to start working in the reloading area again for my shooting hobby. I've got one table to clear off before I can start building Legos, and there's just a small pile of stuff to shift out of the way before I can start setting up a train layout.

As long as I'm here, sigh, I might as well unload the rest. My MIL, who lives north of Detroit, went into the hospital Christmas Eve. They're still testing her, but she had a confirmed mild heart attack and there has been a continuing series of "spells," that are probably mini-strokes that cause her to either babble incoherently or to assemble "sentences" out of completely unrelated words. We drove down yesterday, after having a Christmas dinner at my brothers, and things seem to have stabilized. There's been no news today from my brother-in-law, who lives near her; he'll probably call when he gets home from the hospital this evening. To add to the fun, one adult niece, with her mother and father, are all staying at MIL's apartment in the senior home until New Years. Don't get me started on them, since the mother and father add to the problem. I imagine we'll be back down there either tomorrow or the next day.

Hmm... I didn't intend to go on like this, but it just started to flow. Sorry, gang. I know there are others here who have been having a worse time. To coin a phrase, God bless us, everyone, and all who sail in us.
When I've had to do something that should take three people, I get a "rent-a-bum" from the day labor pool, work him all day, and return him. It usually costs about $150, and it's worth every penny. You could do something like that with your basement cleanup. Just remember, you're hiring them from the neck down...

Beady, I'm glad I inspired you to get that off your chest. You made me feel better about my venting, thank you.

There is no need to be sorry, these guys are great listeners. I seldom ever complain to anyone, but when I do it's to my train buddies. I think you are like me, we try to be the rock our families can rely on.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, I hope things improve for you.

Louis- They're going to look good on your future layout.

Thanks Curt and congratulations on your special spoon. I know what you mean about those little special things. they are priceless.
Nope, you keep us rolling along!;)
If you didn't post so much there only be a couple of pages of reading.I enjoy the pics too.

Mike and Tom, you guys are too nice, you fit perfectly into the coffee shop clientele, thank you!

OPPS!
After having the flu for a week, my wife and I were fever free for 24 hours on Christmas morning and had a wonderful celebration with our family. By evening, I was so exhausted, I didn't even assemble my new HAKKO digital soldering station.
This morning, I grabbed the box and headed downstairs to the train room. Assembly was quick and easy, but I did check the instructions to get the heat up to temperature correctly. I soldered a couple power drops to the HO track in about 10% of the time my old soldering iron took.

Now, to try one of the hard to reach drops. I have drilled holes outside the track ties, on the edge of the cork, over a foam base and alligator clamped the bare stranded wire to the rail. I placed my belt buckle on the edge of the layout, anchored it with ample flesh as I stretched out both arms. The nearer side took less than a minute and about an inch of solder wire. The far side was a real stretch and it was hard to keep the tip against both the wire and the rail. The solder started melting after two minutes and I mostly kept tip and solder against the rail. After a couple more minutes and 10 inches of solder wire, I realized something was wrong.
I turn off the station, climb down off the layout and walk around to look at the back side of the connection. The wire is well secured to the rail, but there is a 5/8" hole in the foam base. Oh drat!
Looking under the layout, I see several spatters of solder on the floor, indicating where the last 8" of solder wire ended up.

MORAL of the STORY: Please learn from my experience (operator error) or if you don't, be smart enough not to tell anyone!
Mikey, the only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything!

I like to listen to a master chef on the radio. The other day I was listening to her tell about her latest beef wellington. She recently moved and had never used her new oven. Long story short, she burned the beef wellington. Even a master chef makes mistakes.

I'm making up for lost time.

This morning I discovered the washer was making a terrible sound. It was more than likely the pump, but I was not even willing to put $50 into that old girl!

I went out and I bought this huge new washer that looks like something from the future. The control panel is all digital with cool lights and even a timer to let you know when the wash will be done. It senses the water level, how dirty the clothes are and more. I am fascinated by it! Best of all it's American made!

I'm hoping it can take a bite out of my $75+ per month water bill.

I can't wait to do the next load of wash! It makes me want to buy the matching dyer, but my old dyer runs like a clock.
View attachment 32799
The new one that I bought about a month ago plays music.

I rarely even listen to the radio or music in my car. I prefer to keep a check on the clonks and clunks.
That makes me think of an old friend of mine. I was ridding in his old pickup (ute) I said don't you hear that? he said yeah, but normally I just turn the radio up.

I have tinnitus and it can cause me to have a headache if I sit in silence. I always have a radio or TV on, even when I am sleeping. It works for me and my wife is now use to it. In fact she turns on the TV when she goes to bed before me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back