Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to appear to be looking a "Gift Horse" in the mouth. However, I have to ask what is up with the "Like" button? I appreciate all the likes I have gotten; but, wonder why they have been given?
Generally it's because of what you have written, info given that was helpful to them. Seriously. Now you know I'm rarely ever serious, but seriously, this is one of those times....I think?

I don't want to appear to be looking a "Gift Horse" in the mouth. However, I have to ask what is up with the "Like" button? I appreciate all the likes I have gotten; but, wonder why they have been given?
You raise a valid point.. I don't 'get it' either.:rolleyes:

Generally it's because of what you have written, info given that was helpful to them. Seriously. Now you know I'm rarely ever serious, but seriously, this is one of those times....I think?

That is precisely why you are top dog in likes! :)

Good morning, y'all. 35° and cloudy.

Louis: RE the DH, I recall either reading or watching an article toward the end of last season that the NL is seriously considering going to the DH. If so, it's about time. Everything changes over time.

Boris

Louis

I don’t have much of an opinion on the DH either way. I just wish they install it in the NL if the AL has it, or do away with it totally. Inter league games are interesting to watch, and I’m a huge fan of inter league play. That AL Pitcher sure looks uncomfortable in the batters box when in a NL park.

Good Morning All. 58° and just beginning to sprinkle. There's evidence that it may have sprinkled overnight as the porch was damp, but nothing in the rain gauge. Radar shows some heavy rains to the west and northwest and may be headed this way. We will be under a severe wind advisory from 3:00 pm this afternoon until noon tomorrow, with northerly winds as high as 50 mph expected. We accept the fact that Chet sends his weather this way, just don't send it so fast! I'm home alone as my daughter is having minor surgery today and my wife left yesterday to be with her and pick up our granddaughter from school. SIL just started a brand new job Monday and didn't really need to take time off the first week, (he would have if needed).
Still just piddling with stuff in the train shed since I spent most of yesterday doing other stuff. I did come across another freight car that still had plastic wheels, no more. Spread a little ground foam on the plywood earth.

Greg - I also know a successful "day trader" in the stock market who uses a computer to make trades. Those kind of guys aren't the issue, it's the computers and their algorithms that bother me. I've also been through a bankruptcy of our parent corporation. Stock was given to lien holders valued at 50¢ a share. When the company was eventually sold eight years later, those that retained their shares got $6.00 a share, quite an increase in value. Wished that I had invested at the beginning.
Sherrel - Good luck with the truck.
Ray - Stay safe if you end up being affected. Sounds serious down there.
Mark - The leader in likes every month gets a free lifetime membership in the forum.

Today is Taylor Swift's birthday if anyone cares.
Everybody have a great day.

I don’t have much of an opinion on the DH either way. I just wish they install it in the NL if the AL has it, or do away with it totally. Inter league games are interesting to watch, and I’m a huge fan of inter league play. That AL Pitcher sure looks uncomfortable in the batters box when in a NL park.

Mike: Agree on that. FWIW, while some NL pitchers are good with a bat, most are automatic outs. AL pitchers, are totally lost :rolleyes:. Last season I really only watched the dysfunctional Mets embarrass themselves, (as usual). They have great pitching as long as they staff is healthy, but are universally challenged when it comes to hitting. Too many times they came to life, just to have the rally killed by sending the pitcher to the plate, or worse, hitting for the pitcher, and depending on an unreliable reliever.:oops:

Boris

Not giving a weather report - on strike.
Damn truck is in the shop again.
Losing coolent from a "freeze plug" on the rear of the motor!
Why The F* does it even have a "freeze plug" - It never freezes here?
I keep thinking each time that it's the last thing to break - but - NO! It goes on and on.
Oh Well - Just another couple months payments on a new one down the rathole!
BAH HUMBUG!

Cuz they don't build warm climate/grumpy old men engines! ;):D

Greg - I also know a successful "day trader" in the stock market who uses a computer to make trades. Those kind of guys aren't the issue, it's the computers and their algorithms that bother me. I've also been through a bankruptcy of our parent corporation. Stock was given to lien holders valued at 50¢ a share. When the company was eventually sold eight years later, those that retained their shares got $6.00 a share, quite an increase in value. Wished that I had intested at the beginning.

Willie: I can relate to the employer bankruptcy and reorganized company stock bonanza. Y'all have all heard of the Penn Central and Conrail, eh?
My concern is not the day trader, but the trades orchestrated by the major Investment Banking Houses and their computer algorithms. On a related note, I read this morning that over the past year, 175 Hedge Funds have closed up, and only 30 new ones were initiated. Seems like there are fewer opportunities to make a fast buck.

Boris

If you had your eye on a train item on EBay they have a 15% off coupon. I tried it on several HO items, and it seems to work. code is PLAYTIME15.

Not sure about Justin but IBKen has been busy prepping for a run session on Friday night, which I will be attending. I'm sure he'll reappear sometime afterward.

Great looking Gp35!!

Karl:. Tell Ken hello for me if you would, I miss seeing him on the forms too but we all can only do so much in the day. Thanks David

Last edited:
If you had your eye on a train item on EBay they have a 15% off coupon. I tried it on several HO items, and it seems to work. code is PLAYTIME15.

Hi Mike, if I'm got your first name right, that's a good tip but unfortunately I'm not looking at anything on eBay right now not much extra money but I've got more than enough ho stuff anyway stuff anyway. I guess I need to kick the track foreman's butt a bit because he's been awful lazy about getting more done. the little people are getting very upset as they are lacking on supplies not to mention food!

Gentlemen, I'm starting to lay down some roadbed & track and have been practicing soldering feeder wire to the rails. My question is; Is there anything wrong with using the pre-wired rail joiners? Seems it would then be a lot easier to just solder the joiners and dropping the feeders every 2nd section of flex track.
Dave

Gentlemen, I'm starting to lay down some roadbed & track and have been practicing soldering feeder wire to the rails. My question is; Is there anything wrong with using the pre-wired rail joiners? Seems it would then be a lot easier to just solder the joiners and dropping the feeders every 2nd section of flex track.
Dave
You are correct. There is nothing wrong with those rail joiners, especially if you're soldering them to the track anyway. In many cases I don't even solder them myself and have never had a failure. Rail/layout expansion/contraction is more of an issue with me. If it does prove to be a problem in the future, then I can always apply solder. I also actually make my own by just soldering appropriate length and gauge feeder wire to regular joiners. This became necessary during the infamous Atlas shortages of a few years back. I use heavier gauge wire than the store-bought ones.

Good morning Spike drivers and Ballast Tampers, how is rail work coming along?

Hi Flo, Francine, how are you ladies doing this morning? Glad to see you got Jeffrey's Diner open and warm. I drank coffee and an apple fritter and if any of the other guys want something tell him I'm picking up the tab.

The weather earlier at 3:18 this morning was very chilly as it was heavy frost on the car! Of course that implies that's the temperature was 32 or below even though the computer app only said it was down 37 degrees so something isn't quite right? about this race to see who posts on here first, I'd like to inquire if good intentions count? LOL I was up from 3:18 a.m. till around 4:44 a.m. some toast and jelly I had every intention posting at around 4:44 a.m. but was just too tired when I sat on a nice warm bed and crawl under the covers I fell asleep. But my intent was can post on the Forum earlier but was just too tired. So I'm wondering if you guys will cut me some slack and allow me to take credit for having good intentions even though I didn't follow through?? LOL

Boris: I like many others on here really enjoy all the knowledge you have to pass on about various railroading history on experiences so I hope you continue posting. I also hope you're feeling better I've had a lot of problems with my leg muscles in my left leg and knee and seem to find it just a matter of lacking protein so I've been eating more peanut butter along with eggs and other food items but still seem to get the the weak feeling. I hope you're doing better?

Dave

Hi Dave: like Willie says, using the pre-wired rail joiners it's okay but will give you the best connection if also soldered to the rail at every other rail joint or another words leaving every other connection at will joiners lose oldest light going to space between the rails to allow for expansion and contraction. This A Course implies that you're layout is in an area that as a fair amount of temperature variation which of course causes expansion and contraction and the need to allow for the rail to expand and contract which I definitely will do. Hence the need to leave some space between every other 3-foot section of at least 1/16 of an inch. My rail expands and contracts even more than that.

Afternoon All,

Slept like crap last night but it was my fault, I ate too much at supper and it was only 2 hours before bed. Did some chores today but not much else. I thought we were going to do a skunk rescue Saturday but it's been cancelled. It sounds like the lady that has the animal found a current skunk owner locally (Jacksonville) that wants the rescue.

Sherrel- That's a nice job on the loco. Sorry to hear of your continuing truck issues.

Greg- Enjoy the family time. What's in your cleaning formula?

Toot- I hope your weather is less than expected. Stay safe.

Willie- Best wishes for your daughter.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back