Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Louis .... Nice photo of UP 1943. .... Perhaps you saw my photo of a "Support our Veterans" locomotive in HO scale which was a gift to me.

Garry I'm glad you liked the picture. I missed the photo of yours and I could not find it in HO scale. I'd enjoy seeing it if you can post a link to it or repost it. Congratulations, that is a very nice gift!

Garry I'm glad you liked the picture. I missed the photo of yours and I could not find it in HO scale. I'd enjoy seeing it if you can post a link to it or repost it. Congratulations, that is a very nice gift!

Louis .... It is Paducah & Louisville 2129..... It is an Atlas model of a GP40 with sound. .... In the photo, it is coupled to a Cadiz RR (another western KY shoreline) boxcar .

44081357231_5070613bd9_b.jpg

Good morning. 50 degrees to start the day off, hoping to get into the 60's. the high for yesterday never got above 55 as it was overcast all day long.

Terry - Good news from the physical. Like having you on the right side of the grass.

Willie - Congrats on the golden spike. That's a milestone. Toast.gif

Sherrel - I looks like you are really enjoying yourself. Didn't see a beer in your hand.

Garry - As usual, some really nice photos. I got so frustrated trying to find some NP power and when I found out that the Stewart F-9 was DCC ready and found someine who could convert it, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I had put it away last year with no intentions at all to do something with it. With all of the work it took to get the NP F-3 painted and detaied for the North Coast Limited, I really didn't want to go through all of that work again as I already had a nice running F-7 for my layout.

I spent some time yesterday with my magnifier headset and an #78 bit in a pin vise putting the handrails on. This for me is the biggest pain in the butt. The holes from the twin horns have been filled in and the rood is as smooth as a babies butt. As soon as the winterization hatch comes in the roof can be painted and some of the other details can be installed.

20180822_073151.jpg

Here's my rail picture for today.

7c272606787701f872a57ff304825dc3.jpg
OUCH!

Later

You got it, I'm still streaking Willie!

Today I am not leaving the A/C to do any thing except cut the grass and roast some beef on the Weber Kettle grill.

I have a propane grill and a wood smoker, but I prefer my old Weber Kettle with Kingsford Charcoal.

1534951267486.png

Speaking of beef, I bought 40lbs of USDA choice botom round for $1.99 per pound. I spent the morning cutting it into roasts and cubes.

Sunday my wife made authentic Hungarian Goulash with some of the beef cubes. You can also use lamb, but beef is cheaper. My wife can do that because she is from Hungary and uses an old family recipe passed down by her Mom. She even uses Hungarian paprika she brings from Hungary. Her Mom was a funny gal. I miss Mamma, she is with God now. Mamma would never buy Paprika in the grocery store. She got it from a farmer she knew. She said "you can't trust the government's paprika" Turns out she was right. Several years ago they were caught mixing it with paprika from South America. The European Union had proof; there was a mold found in that only grows in South America. Hungarian paprika the most expensive of all paprika. It is used by the best chefs in Europe and I suppose many in the USA as well. You can buy it here, but it's nothing like we bring back from Hungary.

I love Hungarian food!

You are the man Garry, thank you! That is beautiful, I love the green. I think I may be turning green with envy.

Back from the barber...I go to an old fashioned barber shop with plenty of men's magazines on cars, hunting, guns and other subjects, a liquor bar for free cocktails, a coffee bar for the mornings with 60's and 70's music in the background. Decorated like in the 1920's, a really cool place.

Chet: Do you know what caused the F unit to fall over like it did? The hand rails look good on the F unit. How do you match the paint when you do the repaint of the locomotive where the horns were located?

Louis: Seeing your grill reminded me that I haven't done any cooking with my smoker up north. The last roast was a huge pork roast that I smoked for 11 hours. I saw it in the back of a meat counter in a butcher shop and asked the butcher to wrap it up for me. He said its too fatty and not much use for the roast other than smoking and I told that's what I plan to do. I marinated the roast over-night and did a slow cool fire in the smoker keeping the temperature in the smoker around 140 degrees. Turned out perfect!

Sherrel: Great joke about the serial killer!

Lunch and then down to the layout, I hope.

That's all for now...

Greg

#######################################

PS: Why doesn't beef taste the way it used to taste 20 years ago? No favor.

Got the a/c fixed couple or 4 hours ago. Then we got hit with a T/S. Finally got on the puter and see I'm 4 pages behind. Thats o k . I'll just take my time catching up. T V is on the fritz. That will be our next expense unless dr. tells MOH what's bugging her. And what the cure will cost. Whatever it might be, she's worth it.
Best wishes to all,
Phil

A very comfortable 80 degrees here in N Calif. after 2 months of 96+- at this time of the evening. Knowing last weekend, it was going to cool off, I expected to get into the new train room this week and get the taping finished, maybe some painting done, pull some 12/2 wire to the boxes & switches, and at least get 1 short section of benchwork started. Not gonna happen. Enter MURPHY. I'm kinda retired, and drive truck for a local construction co. whenever they need extra help. Last week the lowbed driver and end dump driver got into a REAL fight on a jobsite. Both got fired. I got drafted. So I'm driving pretty much fulltime til they get some new regulars.
Willie Yes, this line of work has given me a lot of interesting things to haul, trains, boats & planes and anything else that goes on a truck, and a lot of it will be represented on my railroad eventually.
Chet Yes it is a Mig 21 and even had an extra engine up on the front corner of the trailer. I also have hauled an Avion and a Yak 18A, Chinese single prop, Russian built from what I remember but sadly, no pics. Side note on planes, My father in law RIP was an armorer for a P51 named Sebastian, in England in 1945. 357th fighter wing, Chuck Yeagers group. Gen Yeager lives here in Penn Valley, and I had the chance to meet him at my barber shop in Feb. He's 93 now, and his social skills are...…hmmmm….diminishing.
Dave
2-6-2 #2.jpg
2-6-2  #1.jpg

HA, HA .. Haven't heard "The Streak" in a number of years. Good one, Terry!

DAVE .. Those loads look impressive! You haul some interesting stuff!

Greg - Sounds like a cool barbershop. I haven't been to a barbershop in 30 years - The Spousal Unit is a cosmetologist (has a shop in what was to be my RR room) and has cut my hair from before we were married.

Chet - No Alcohol allowed on the beach - not even a beer can! Just only the streaks of diesel fuel that you can see along the shore. I think the Navy, or some ship had a rather large spill a couple months ago.

Good morning gang
63 degrees and clear, more like late September than late August, but hey, I'll take it! :cool:

Louis: Seeing your grill reminded me that I haven't done any cooking with my smoker up north. The last roast was a huge pork roast that I smoked for 11 hours. I saw it in the back of a meat counter in a butcher shop and asked the butcher to wrap it up for me. He said its too fatty and not much use for the roast other than smoking and I told that's what I plan to do. I marinated the roast over-night and did a slow cool fire in the smoker keeping the temperature in the smoker around 140 degrees. Turned out perfect!

PS: Why doesn't beef taste the way it used to taste 20 years ago? No favor.

Greg your pork roast sounds fantastic! I have a smoker, but I have very little experience using it. Mine uses wood and or charcoal. I did manage to make some very good split chicken breast in it for the 4th of July. The benefit of using the smoker is it can smoke 2 dozen split chicken breasts at one time in less than 3 hours. A big help for my gathering of friends and family on the 4th. My smoked chicken breast are very popular and the smoker has been a blessing. My weber can only do about 6 at a time.

What kind of smoker are you using? Any tips you may have for me would be appreciated.

This is what I have
1535017806028.png

I also have a 6 burner propane grill, but that is my wife's baby. She loves how fast she can get a lot hamburgers, hot dogs and other foods ready. My wife is also good with the weber, but If I am feeling good, that is my happy responsibility, I enjoy cooking!

Otherwise I just use my old weber. I have many years of experience with it. I know how much charcoal to use to cook with indirect heat, no matter what I am cooking. I can put the food on and go take a nap, but never on the 4th. I never burn anything and it smokes the meat beautifully.

Once I get a feel for the smoker I will be making smoked sausage (Kolbasz, Hungarian word for sausage) in it. The recipe comes from Angela's late father, Otto Krnacs, Papa. You are so right about the need for fat. The recipe requires a minimum of 30% fat. As you know the smoker will release most of the fat, not enough fat and the food will dry out. I learned that the hard way trying to make chicken wings in the smoker. The wings ended up in soup, but it was good soup. Wings are not an economical way to make soup, but it was better than throwing them out.

Here is a rhetorical question for you; why are chicken wings more expensive than chicken breast? We all know it's because the demand for buffalo chicken wings. Another example of the "age of stupidity" we live in if you ask me.

As for why beef doesn't seem to taste as good as it use to? I don't know, I have not noticed to be honest, but that won't stop me from venturing a guess. :) I think it may be that finding premium beef is harder than it use to be. USDA Prime has become as rare a hens tooth. The best I can find is USDA Choice. Beef needs a good marbling of fat to be very tasty. Fortunately I like any beef and my teeth are still good enough to eat the cheap cuts.

I'm cheap so I don't shop at butchers shops, the few butcher shops that remain in Baltimore are very expensive. Grocery stores seldom have premium grades of beef. I've been told by grocery store meat managers that the restaurants in Baltimore buy up all the premium grades of beef, they can and at premium prices. Willie, can you help us out here? If anybody would know it's the man from Texas!

Thanks for your reply.

PS while on the subject of food here is my new hotdog steamer
1535019745898.png

I love hotdogs!!! The steamer is my favorite way of making all meat hotdogs. After cooking the hotdogs in the steamer I wrap them in wax paper and put them in the top of the steamer to keep them hot. If I put rolls alone in the top they get to soggy, for me. It reminds me of the hotdogs from old Memorial Stadium.

It's not good for beef hotdogs, I don't like beef hotdogs boiled or steamed. They are best on the grill.

Next I want a roller grill, for beef hotdogs, but I don't yet know which one I want.

I'm thinking about this one
1535020477319.png

can you tell I like coca-cola stuff :)

Phil I hope you get a "streak" of good luck.

It's good to see your post, I hope your wife is feeling better.

Good morning Everybody!

I got a lot done yesterday.

I love my larger yard, larger than what I use to have, but it wears me out. I take frequent breaks and even had a cold beer while taking one of those many breaks. I'm diabetic, but I can get away with having a beer when I am working outside.

I had a lager beer, pilsner to be exact and no damn fruit!!! An Ice cold National Boh it's a great beer when I'm working outside on a hot humid day.
1535021410581.png

By way; the roast beef was fantastic!!!

Back to work today, but only for 3 hours.

Have a great day Everybody!!!

Good morning everyone. 63 this morning, but the heat comes back this weekend with temps back in the low to mid 90's. Dog days of summer?

Not much to report. Did some landscaping and painting around the layout last night, and that was about it.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 71° with clear skies, per the Weather Underground there are SE wind gusts of 1 mph. Back to normal temperatures near 100° today after a three day cooler spell. Time today for the weekly grocery/beer trek in Denton. Home Depot is on the itinerary to return a few more plumbing items that our remodeling contractor overbought. This guy is a good contractor, but bought too much of everything; at least he didn't throw the extras into the back of his truck and keep them. I did give him the extra t-nails since I don't own a nail gun and couldn't use them.
Out in the train shed, I completed the second rail line over the "sorta-removable" bridge. It also works well except for one Athearn SD40-2 that derailed at the wye switch leading to it. Eventually traced it to an out of gauge wheel/axle in the center of the rear truck. I ran a lot of other six axle lash-ups over it because I was concerned with overhang since I was using a smaller radius than I like at one end for this track. Today, I'll pull some long freight cars around like well cars and autoracks (autoracks are normally not on the upper level anyway), just for testing. On my last trip to the LHS, I purchased two additional pieces of HO cork roadbed that were needed to finish this part of the layout, despite what I thought were careful calculations a few years ago when I was buying materials. Guess what I ran across yesterday? Two pieces of roadbed that had slipped behind some boxes under the layout. Now I have to figure out how to extend the layout by six feet to use them.:mad: I can now get back to scenery and fascia.
This all brings up a question. What's the best method for cutting the track rails at each end of this bridge to make it truly removable? Hacksaw? Dremel with thin cutting disk? Xuron cutter? Or some other method. It is far enough back from the door and high enough to not be a real hassle (for me), but I still want it to be removable.

Garry - Nice pictures as usual. Yep! You're in the folder with Lance Russworm's urban scenes, Tom Johnson's rural scenes and some of Cliff Power's rural scenes. I'd put Chet in there too, but he has galleries here.
Chet - Especially liked yesterday's rail picture. Things were more simple back then. Note the watching party across the road!
Phil - Wife is more important than the TV, even if she doesn't come with a "mute" button.
Dave - I had a lot of interaction with our truck drivers over the years when I sought their feedback from the routes that I set up. As a result, many of them gave me a heads-up on leftover products on trailers from their backhauls, onions, dried beans, potatoes, lumber, shrubs and other items from damaged packaging that the receiver wouldn't accept. Kegs of beer never made it to our parking lot though!
Louis - Looks like you're "Back in the Saddle Again". Cue up Gene Autry or Aerosmith.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. Starting the day off at 50 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's, but I don't think it will get there with the overcast skies. It did get up to 72 yesterday and I got to fly the drone for a while until the wind picked up.

Greg - I have no idea what caused the derailment in yesterday's photo. Looking at the track in the photo, it may have been the cause. So far as matching the black paint on the F-9, the shell will be finished off with a light coat of Dull Coat which will match pretty well. I had the same issue when I did my F-7 years ago and in the end, you couldn't tell the difference. The Dull Coat taking the shine off the black works well. The 5 chime horn is located over the engineer where the right horn would have been with the stock twin horns.

truckdad - Interesting photo. When it come to war birds, we have quite a few at out local airport. I loved working there. I got to take a ride in an L-29, a Czechoslovakian jet trainer. Chuck Hall also gave me a ride in his P-51 which he kept in one of out hangers when the was up here in the simmer.
p-51.jpg
That was a hoot but a pain to get into the small rear seat.
I even got the meet Gen Yeager briefly when a private jet he was a passenger on stopped to refuel and drop off a passenger. There was an F-100 parked on the apron when he arrived. I was at the desk and mentioned to him thathe must have had some time in F-100's. He grinned and just said maintenance hogs. It was apleasure to meet him. We also had the military contract and had to keep JP* fuel on hand for military jets. The National Guard was in all of the time, plus we had many other military planes stop in for fueling. Here I am fueling an F-18.
f-18 fueling.jpg

I do still get out there a lot now that I was able to get recertified and fly as often as I can. You never know what you'll see there.

Louis - Like the hot dog steamer. Never got to try that beer though. I was stationed in Maryland briefly for electronics school when I was in the Navy, but never tried that one.

Today is the day I head over to the club in Livingston, so I am going to try out my little NW-2. Gotta get my stuff together for the club so I am going to get out of here.

Here's my rail picture for today.

railroad-tracks-23521292901749uK0.jpg

Later

Back