Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 38 and mostly clear, hitting 53 later today. Didn't get down to freezing out where we are last night. Predicting one more night of low temps, then a warming trend. I sure hope so.

Toot - Great video of the Daylight 4449, especially in full screen and with the sound cranked and stereo. Gorgeous scenery, too. The steam clouds coming from that engine are a great reminder of the glory days of steam.

In the train room, I continued working on the landscaping infrastructure and the Cape Cod house build. Will post some photos, if I ever remember to take a camera down there with me.

Have a good day everyone.

good morning- 60* and should hit 80* in pm..

Ray- Thanks for the post- Beautiful ! Have that engine and passenger consist. Somewhere have a photo of it/them on my first pike. One of my MRR pals sent me pictures of Hailstones in Aussie land big as tennis balls that knocked out carwindows, dented cars and killed sheep. Dangerous stuff.

Things to do- Back later. Prayers for all,
PHIL

Good morning. 21 degrees and partly cloudy. The weather rock is dry.

Ken D&J - Finally have power. cheer.gifYou'll probably smell a bit better after a nice hot shower too. Grin.gif Enjoy running the trains.

Joe - Like the box cars. Sweet.

Garry
- The dogs do like gopher hunting. They don't eat them, but just parade around the yard showing off their catch. I do draw the line though when they decide to try to bring them into the house.

IMAG0181.jpg Ain't gonna happen.

Toot - Enjoyed the video a lot and liked the mixed cars behind it. Was trying to figure out what the Northern Pacific cars was. A number of years ago I was westbound on Interstate 90 between Bozeman and Belgrade, MT which parallels the MRL main line and saw headlights coming down the track different from what we would normally see. It was the daylight! I authorized myself to make a U turn through the median and headed to Bozeman Pass which was just a few miles east and got some really nice photos of it coming up the pass. Couldn't pass up the chance to get photos of that train.

Garry - Thanks for the photo.Interesting story about the railroad.

Here's the rail photo for today.

railway.jpg

Later.

Good morning fellers. Doing some train running before work. I know I'll never run long trains but for piece of mind I decided to build a 23 car train. The last layout it took a good bit of luck to get the train around the layout without having a derail somewhere. This go around nothing. I had an uncoupling incident but that's off a car I know needs some work anyways so I didn't sweat it. I'd post a video but it's too big of a file to share. So instead I'll take a pic of my two workhorses.
3843efa4cf0b391a16a0e2914c62c330.jpg

Justin

Good Morning All. 42° and clear with lots of sun. Didn't get as cool as the forecast predicted, maybe tonight. Powered up the tractor/mower yesterday, changed the oil and checked all of the belts and blades. Ready to go although due to the winter drought, I have had a 3-4 week delay in startup.
Made progress in the train shed yesterday with the current landscaping project. Took pictures but left the camera card outside, so no pictures until later. I added the horizon to the backdrop, painted the ground and track/ties, ballasted 3' of main line and rehabbed the Atlas switch tower that was already part of the scene. There's another structure there that needs rehab as well, an already assembled Walther's kit that I obtained in an estate sale about twelve years ago. It's on the workbench for today for when glue is drying on the layout.

Justin - It's always good to run trains. Even with the backlog of projects that I have, some days I just give the engineers some work.
Garry - That interchange with the Frisco that I have is comprised of two tracks in the staging yard, a short interchange track itself and two industries on the Frisco track between staging and the actual interchange. I can also use the same setup as a branch line by switching locos and caboose. I really like the Frisco cream/orange paint scheme. I used to railfan them all of the time because their main line into Dallas ran by our plant until they were absorbed by BN in the early 80's.
Karl - I think that I posted before, but that is really a nice looking locomotive. Looks right at home in that picture you posted yesterday.
Phil - Great to hear that you're back to being connected!
Curt - Thanks but no thanks on the fire ants. To my wife, even the red ants are fire ants, but to her all rodents are rats!;)
Ken (D&J) - Maybe you can electrocute the moles now.

Everybody have an awesome day, be safe over on the east coast area.

Willie
Oooops! Should have hit the "post quick reply" button an hour ago!

Justin,
I know you did not ask, but I think the following might be something to think about. In the future and want a fun project to improve reliability and make longer trains stay on the rails.

Long trains have weight, with the coupler mounted trucks, as the cars go through the curve. The weight creates a force on the wheel set in such a way. It wants to bind on the inside of the rails and climb over the rail .

The effect is more pronounced on a passenger car going through a tight curve. Where the center of the car is off to the side of the rails as it rounds the curve, wants to roll on its side.

A body mounted coupler allows a longer string of cars to be pushed and pulled. The body mounted coupler will absorb all the forces the weight applies . That is always in play having the coupler and truck set as one.

What the body mounted coupler does, lets the truck ride independently, coasting through, curves and switches, its only job it to ride the rail and pivot side to side

Just saying,
Greg

Good morning fellers. Doing some train running before work. I know I'll never run long trains but for piece of mind I decided to build a 23 car train. The last layout it took a good bit of luck to get the train around the layout without having a derail somewhere. This go around nothing. I had an uncoupling incident but that's off a car I know needs some work anyways so I didn't sweat it. I'd post a video but it's too big of a file to share. So instead I'll take a pic of my two workhorses.
3843efa4cf0b391a16a0e2914c62c330.jpg

Justin

Below is my incentive per diem boxcar..... The Cadiz Railroad was a local short line here in western KY

Garry: That's how I recall the program. Didn't quite work out as planned. The RR, actually had a lot of heavy industrial business, including J&J, DuPont and Hercules, as well as Two steel mills, and loads of other small companies. When the box car bust came, they had to lease track from Conrail and Amtrak, to store the returned cars.

I like your Cadiz box car. I read a brief history of the line recently. Short lines are a risky venture, some succeed, others don't. The RR was hurt by NJ's deindustrialization, and they went with the box car incentive to passively replace lost revenue, didn't work out all that well. Conrail took them over, and still operates over much of the ROW.

If you haven't seen it, a must watch, especially in full screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrxPpKzsDn8
TOOT, Thanks for reminding the group of this handsome locomotive. I, however need no reminder as I had a close encounter with it once. Now I can tell a story and contribute something here. In 1984 I think, I had been hauling rebar into the SLC-6 Space shuttle complex at Vandenberg AFB (which was never used). At the end of the day, I was heading north along the coast road next to the SP tracks and when I got to the area called "Surf" I noticed dozens of parked cars, tripods and lots of people looking south. I stopped to see what was going on and was told the Daylight will be coming by in 20 min. I waited, standing as close to the track as was safe. As it arrived, it was on the siding, and came to a gentle stop with the drivers only a few feet in front of me. Almost wet my pants! I can still remember the smell, and sounds it made as it stopped. It had to wait for a freight to go by then was headed to San Luis Obispo, CA to spend the night. I hurried back to the yard, parked the truck and drove to Guadalupe to meet the wife & kids watch it sail through Guadalupe. We then drove to SLO and got another up close look and to show the kids what a real loco looked like. If I ever get my railroad going it will have the 4449 on the mainline.
Dave PV

A really good story there, DAVE!
Sherrel, some day I will tel the story about when my co-worker & I stole, er hauled a 2-6-2 Prairie and tender from the Santa Barbara County fairgrounds in Santa Maria to the S.M. Valley RR depot.
Dave PV

Heck of a day yesterday; froze my ARSE* off - 29 degrees - waiting for the train to leave after "fighting" with the ticket machine (I hate those things) Did not dress warm enough- had to stand on the platform another 20 min in Riverside waiting on the connection; anyway, by the time I got back home my head was stopped up and today I have the makings of a head cold complete with headache!
Other than that the trip was wonderful! I made a few pic which I will share when I feel up to transferring to the computer. I need computer guidance in hooking up my photos to go from phone to computer?
Doctor said everything looked good that I had corrected, but that I may have some thyroid issues later on and that my BP meds need to be upped a little more. (I am extremely ignorant of medical...I have no idea even what the thyroid does?

I have a track pic that I want to share. I thought it rather interesting?

track Y.jpg

P. S. It's 75 degrees going to 79 and deep blue sky!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherrel: Easiest way is to plug in the charging cable to the phone and then into the USB on your computer. The computer will see it as an external drive. Then find the correct folder and transfer the photos to the computer. If your phone does not use a USB cable to charge then it gets more complicated. You could always email the photos to yourself and open the email on the computer. If your computer has Bluetooth then you can transfer the photos from the phone using that. If none of the above, then you could always paint a really good verbal picture for us.

All - regarding my question about the width of the Tichy Train Group Icing Station, Don Tichy responded to my email with the info I needed - it's 1 7/8" wide. Tonight I'll measure the spot I want to put it and make sure it will fit and look good there.

Thanks, Sam! I will attempt maybe all three and see which is easier for me too master.
I Been doing the email bit forever, but it's a little time consuming for many pic?
My memory is not what it used to be, but then neither are many of the other parts?
Getting to be like an old steam engine: Leaking, squeaking, huffing, and puffing as I go! :p

Heck of a day yesterday; froze my ARSE* off - 29 degrees - waiting for the train to leave after "fighting" with the ticket machine (I hate those things) Did not dress warm enough- had to stand on the platform another 20 min in Riverside waiting on the connection; anyway, by the time I got back home my head was stopped up and today I have the makings of a head cold complete with headache!
Other than that the trip was wonderful! I made a few pic which I will share when I feel up to transferring to the computer. I need computer guidance in hooking up my photos to go from phone to computer?
Doctor said everything looked good that I had corrected, but that I may have some thyroid issues later on and that my BP meds need to be upped a little more. (I am extremely ignorant of medical...I have no idea even what the thyroid does?

I have a track pic that I want to share. I thought it rather interesting?

View attachment 65542

P. S. It's 75 degrees going to 79 and deep blue sky!

WHAT?!? Aliens are using train tracks to leave symbols in the landscape now?!? This isn't near Area 51, is it?

Afternoon All,

Spent an enjoyable couple of hours trimming back bushes from the pool deck, but we didn't have negitive temps like Sherrel did (very strange for CA).:cool: After that I spent about 90 minutes making the wood road inserts that go between the rails on roads out of 1/16th basswood. After I made sure they fit I stained them with Hunterline creosote (2 coats). Next up is the road/parking lot. When I start on the building it will be built on the workbench and then moved to the platform.

VA Ken- Good news about the electricity.

Joe- Nice looking boxes. My Dad has a Raritan RR caboose. I had to get rid of the Edge Browser and use Firefox because of picture issues and then one day it would not even open the forum. No issues since.

Garry- Sounds like another waste of money from the federal government.

Toot- Nice video.

Chet- Really nice track shot. I'm going to send you a PM with a question I don't want to share on this thread (nothing bad):).

Justin- Nice looking locos and the famous Drill Tower in the background!;)

I hope everyone has a good night.

I don't think I'm getting how things work around here. Some times I write a reply the reply gets posted, other times not.

Example, I replied this morning too Justin's post making a suggestion. That he might be interested in body mounting the couplers to add reliability and have better performance when pulling and pushing long trains.

So I hit PQR.. : message pops up requires a moderator to over see before it can be viewed... and has not showed up yet, I've one that never posted.

Not a fan of wasting my time so I'm asking the question..
So what's with this,?

I see no pattern, a message that says I'm too ugly for the forum. Or I'm a tender foot and not allowed to post a reply that's longer that 14 words.

rant over
Greg

One more try getting ready new machine is coming.

DSC_0288.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey GREG- Can't help you on posting problem- I are igorent when it comes to "PUKERS"
Want to know , where in DADE are you? Lived there 50 years.
Phil

Greg the same happens to me too. It just started doing that to me. I just scratch my head and move on really. As for the body mounted couplers. All of my active fleet has those. The only truck mounted ones I have are ones that take up residence in a box. They all have horn hook style couplers too. So yeah I have no need for them. I only keep them for childhood memories only as that's when I started getting them. The issue at hand deals with one of my Control Cor 100T hoppers. It has a drooping coupler. It's one I haven't done a permanent fix to yet. It'll get it repaired tomorrow before I head off to work. But it's good looking out. And a good suggestion.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back