Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMAG1044.jpg

The passenger cars are from MDC I believe and the car in the lower right that is being used for a shop and office is an old timer kit from Roundhouse I think.

That's cool. That's kind of what I'm looking to do. Repurpose an old car and put some history with it.

Jesse

Hello Shop Dwellers!

As I type this, it is 53*F and windy with sunshine here in central MD – even as late as 4:30pm! A month ago it would have been totally dark by now. Kinda makes you think Spring is on the way. But wait a second – the weather-guessers are predicting a couple more prolonged Arctic blasts to hit the Northeast starting in the 2nd week of February!:mad: So it ain’t over yet...<sigh>

Sherrell – I can guarantee you that my SIL’s parents who live in your town are NOT among the crowd who take chemtrails seriously. Although like yourself, they may be lurking and laughing…

Chet – looks like the flex track in your photo needs some ¾-inch plywood and cork roadbed under it!

Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve been totally immersed in planning for my next op session. First I used the JMRI tool PanelPro to produce 15 manifest/switchlist documents. And since my track planning software (XtrkCAD) allows train running simulations, I’ve done “virtual operations” following the instructions on the manifests.

I used a stopwatch to time how long each distinct operation takes, and discovered that if I had to do everything myself, it would take me over 12 hours to finish them all! However, since there are 5 action areas that can be worked concurrently, each crew [1 or 2 people] can be kept occupied for two hours of the 3-hour session and – in an ideal world – get everything done. But finishing is not the objective, but rather, having fun moving toward the imaginary finish line.

Next items on the ToDo list: Speed-match each of the planned loco consists, then re-rail all the freight cars that are being used. [Plus a few that are just gonna sit there and “look purty.”] Then rehearse each of the more complicated runs to ensure no derailments. Its a dirty job but hey, somebody's got to do it...:rolleyes:

That's cool. That's kind of what I'm looking to do. Repurpose an old car and put some history with it.

Jesse
Don't you model in N scale?
If so, Bachmann makes some 1880's-1910's passenger cars. I could see one of their combine or coach cars turned into a diner.

Don't you model in N scale?
If so, Bachmann makes some 1880's-1910's passenger cars. I could see one of their combine or coach cars turned into a diner.
I do. And that's kind of what I've been looking at. The first ones I missed out on was an entire train with an F unit. Most of the trucks were missing but I didn't care since I was only going to have it stationary anyway. It got too pricey tho. The second had one that looked like an old heavyweight. Today's was just a plain Jane passenger car.

Jesse

Willie - nice photos of your latest structure. Do you use an airbrush?
Just tried to upload a photo again 3X, no luck. "Upload of the file failed"
Finally got the system to accept this photo below, but not the other photo I've been trying to upload - it won't let that one in for some reason.
Johnny - While I do use an airbrush sometimes, I did not use one on this structure. I used a rattle can of Krylon gray primer, followed by a very light overspray of Krylon black primer to color the tarpaper wall covering. On the concrete base I used the same Krylon gray and then dabbled Polly S "Aged Concrete" over it to simulate a very old concrete effect.
Regarding your picture, check the size, I have found by trial and error that anything over 2 mb will not upload to this site.

Willie

Willie...In Pix 1 & 2 ?...Are you going to 'Glaze' the Windows and for the Door/Windows did you inset those at all
or are the frames mounted flush to the face of the structure ?...I've never used these parts & pieces but it seems
many pix I see of structures the Windows & Doors are inset...I'm not so sure that's the way I'm going to go about
mounting those items...In my minds eye I see the 'Casings' being mounted flush on the Wall as adding a little bit
of extra visual dimension and depth...Yet another item for me to play with and test different methods...Trig

Trig - The windows are glazed, the glass is just really clean! The doors and windows are actually inset, that's the exterior trim that overlaps the outside of the walls. It will be a bit more obvious after I finish up everything; I intend to use a light wash of alcohol/India ink as well as some weathering powders to highlight the door. The structure is still "in process". I also still have to add fencing, lamposts, signs and some additional details before I considered it finished.
This structure represents one built during or after the Great Depression of the 30's, with 1" x 8" boards affixed to a 2" x 4" frame like a fence; then covered with vertical tarpaper fastened with vertical 1" x 4" battens. There's a few places that are barely visible where the tarpaper is torn and the boards show through. See the upper left corner of the front of the building in picture # 1 and two places along the side of picture # 2. Note also that I didn't have the roof properly seated when I took these pictures.

Willie

Good Evening ,

Today I spent about 3.5 hours painting walls. The directions say put the walls together then paint it (it worked for the last kit) but this one has recessed brick walls and decorative concrete bands. The window sills are concrete also. There is no way I could paint (MM aged concrete) the trim with it all together. The clear wood bands will have "concrete" detail pieces attached later.

I had my visitor today. He was Bill Fagen that some of you should know from his many different layout videos on YouTube. He was videotaping my friend Tom's layout and Tom suggested that he video tape mine which he did. He videotaped (engineer view) both full run directions, then a overall view of the layout and then still shots. He will post it online in a couple of days and he sends me a DVD of everything he did.

Sherrel- I can't believe you would stir the pot!:rolleyes:

Chet- Thank you. Neat rail picture and layout photo.

Justin- Nice video. My Dad remembers watching WM 2-6-6-2 headed coal drags as a kid during WWII.

Johnny- Nice layout pictures.

Willie- Nice building. I like the look of the wood over the tar paper (?).

CA Dave- Good news on your phone. Now if we can do the same for Windows 10.

The 4 small panels get glued behind the walls so the outside edges don't have to be neat.

20180123_141753.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. The rain is over, and the temperatures are falling. 60° felt real good while it lasted.

Curt: Bill Fagen video of your layout, that's cool. I enjoy his engineer view videos. Also, the structure is coming along nicely.

Ken-MD: So, you're doing time studies on your railroad, eh? Now you know why I often say that my railroad is too much like work.

Horrific...... Two 15-year-old kids dead.... 19 persons wounded or injured. .... Makes no sense. .... Marshall County High School is on our way to Paducah and we see it from US 68. .... One of the MR forum members lives in Paducah. He posted one of his co-workers had her daughter killed this morning by the shooter. .... A contractor had workers here today working on our house. The workers live in Benton. One has son who attends Marshall County school who was not harmed. ..... I was told the shooter was angry because he was bullied on facebook, but I do not know if that is the truth. .... Terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrific...... Two 15-year-old kids dead.... 19 persons wounded or injured. .... Makes no sense. .... Marshall County High School is on our way to Paducah and we see it from US 68. .... One of the MR forum members lives in Paducah. He posted one of his co-wporkers had her daughter killed this morning by the shooter. .... A contractor had workers here today working on our house. The workers live in Benton. One has son who attends Marshall County school who was not harmed. ..... I was told the shooter was angry because he was gullied on facebook, but I do not know if that is the truth. .... Terrible.
That's terrible. I will never understand these.

Jesse

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry - that looks great. That would fit the bill nicely. I gotta check with the head of finances since that is a little over what I originally budgeted, but if I can get approval that may be my new diner. Thank you.

Jesse

Hello all.

Being a fairly new member here, I have a question. I see there was a new Running Bears Coffee shop thread started, but there is still an old one running around. Can someone bring me up to speed on how, and why does a new thread get started?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello all.

Being a fairly new member here, I have a question. I see there was a new Running Bears Coffee shop thread started, but there is still an old one running around. Can someone bring me up to speed on how, and why does a new thread get started?

Thanks,

Mike
Someone got hold of some bad grits and spewed all over the last one. Had to relocate for sanitary reasons. Lol

But seriously, I'm too new here myself to give an accurate answer.

Jesse

Someone got hold of some bad grits and spewed all over the last one. Had to relocate for sanitary reasons. Lol

But seriously, I'm too new here myself to give an accurate answer.

Jesse
The coffee shop goes for 100 pages and a new one is started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KenMD - Hardly anybody really knows or appreciates how much work goes in to setting up an op session.
I haven't tried using the JMRI for setting up the pick ups and drop offs. I just work it out, industry by industry until I have the tickets all written out, the cars in place at the sidings and sorting yard and the locos staged.

Hey Everybody, I'm back!!!

Sorry I have been AWOL, but life happens. I settled on my house 12/11 and began moving in slowly. I also have been gathering up everything I need to paint the walls, ceilings and refinish the hardwood floors. On 12/19 while I was at the end of my drive way unloading, with my van out of sight from the street, some scum bag broke open the front door. We did not notice until we tried to lock the door at the end of the day. They got away with nothing, I guess they realized I was home.

I had to destroy half of the door frame to make repairs. While I was sitting in the dark living room waiting for the police to file a report a little tan pickup pulled up out front. It seemed they noticed me sitting in the dark living room because of the street light across the street. They backed up behind the neighbors hedges, mostly out of my sight. After a few minutes I thought they were suspicious and went to confront them. As I walked towards them they proceeded to back all the way up my one way street, seemingly trying to avoid me. My house is the 3rd from the end of the block. It really made me suspicious that they would back all the up the street. I could not see into the truck or make out the tag.

When the police arrived I described the truck and what had happened. He laughed saying "I guess you scared them off, they won't be back" and they have not been back. I failed to see the humor. He proceeded to tell me there is a ring breaking into vacant houses to steal contractors tools. The pickup I described matched the description they had. As far as I know they have not yet made any arrests. I blame the scum that buy the stolen tools as much as the scum that steals them!

By the time the pickup pulled up I was already feeling like crap, but I thought to myself "I have one good swing in me, I'll make it count". The only problem was they were retreating faster than I was capable of moving.

The break in caused me to work longer then I planned. That set off some kind of internal problem that zapped almost all of my energy. My doctor has warned me repeatedly "don't over work yourself" It was not my Pancreas or kidneys, we still can't pin point what happened. After I recovered from that, I got the flu. Of course, the first year in many I did not get the flu vaccine. Now that I have recovered I will get the vaccine because they tell me it has a cumulative effect year after year, lot of good that did me this year.

I had to forfeit all my work for Amazon, 5 days before Christmas and most of the 2 weeks after. I thought I was done with Amazon, but they told me to just feel better and they have been sending me offers regularly as if nothing happened. I have been slow to get back to work, but I am now working 10-15 hours a week again. I'm also moving a few loads a week into my new home.

Now you know how I have been spending my time, in and out of bed, but I am getting back to full strength, my version of full strength that is. Other than lingering sinus congestion and the accompanying morning head aches I am doing great.

I missed you guys, I hope you have all been well.

God Bless Us Everyone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8GG3dnsp8

Trig - The windows are glazed, the glass is just really clean! The doors and windows are actually inset, that's the exterior trim that overlaps the outside of the walls. It will be a bit more obvious after I finish up everything; I intend to use a light wash of alcohol/India ink as well as some weathering powders to highlight the door. The structure is still "in process". I also still have to add fencing, lamposts, signs and some additional details before I considered it finished.
This structure represents one built during or after the Great Depression of the 30's, with 1" x 8" boards affixed to a 2" x 4" frame like a fence; then covered with vertical tarpaper fastened with vertical 1" x 4" battens. There's a few places that are barely visible where the tarpaper is torn and the boards show through. See the upper left corner of the front of the building in picture # 1 and two places along the side of picture # 2. Note also that I didn't have the roof properly seated when I took these pictures.

Willie

Thanks Willie...Now as I really look I can see the Windows are 'Glazed'...I'm just itch'in to get my hands on some of
the structural parts & pieces...I really like the Building and The Scene...Trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back