Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not. That video is inspiration for me. It's by far one of the best 4x8 layouts I've come across. It has a purpose to it. All others just seem to have too much going on and makes me scratch my head. Although this is Southern Pacific it has really great scenery and I like the track work involved.

Justin

Greetings for a late start today!
52 degrees going to top out at 77 today with a clear sky and a gusty wind from the North at 1 mph!

Justin - Now you are talking more rational. Interesting video, great looking layout, and someone mentioned adding slight elevation to some parts which is a great idea.

You Florida boys - dig out those parka's. My cousin's in Sebring and Orlando are freezing!

Rough night makes for rough sleep today. I can only sleep sitting up lest I become sick again.
What a pain!!

Nice video on that diablo table. Hard to believe it's only on a 4x8. In fact I don't.
I'll likely get flamed for that but hey..... I survived cancer. I can take some flaming.
Puking all night gets old QUICK!

Rough night makes for rough sleep today. I can only sleep sitting up lest I become sick again.
What a pain!!

Nice video on that diablo table. Hard to believe it's only on a 4x8. In fact I don't.
I'll likely get flamed for that but hey..... I survived cancer. I can take some flaming.
Puking all night gets old QUICK!
I wouldn't think you would get flamed. The tight curves and obvious oval gives it away as a sacred sheet layout. It's just done up really well.

Justin

Afternoon All,

Currently 48 here locally. Another cold night then a warm up into the mid to high 70's through next week. Had a great visit with Phil and Jon today. Tomorrow I should open up the tower kit and look closely at all of it. I plan on added 2 detailed floors in it (long vertical windows on first level) and the standard tower windows on the upper part. I also want to build the outside part of a fireplace (brick work) as it has a brick chimney smoke stack. It's going to sit at the front of the layout and will be one of the first things you see as you walk into the train room.

Greg- Nice modeling scene. The street lights are a really nice touch.

CA Dave- I hope you feel better soon.

Justin- That is an awesome 4 x 8 layout.

Willie- The only thing I don't like about AMB is the peel and stick trim and windows. I like the rigid windows that Tichy and others make much better.

I hope everybody has a good night.

The management office is going to make a formal announcement in about half an hour. I think it will be about the contract that I am on. It was up for a renewal. They have snacks, drinks and a beer keg set up in the social area.

Now here is some stuff to attempt to model. Straight out of coal country West Virginia.
2bc740d0d28ce20343737c874ad2e914.jpg
0c95c311bfe6a458db5b3e715d623754.jpg
0f0e59bf9b216bafa5de2a9f86ba3e77.jpg
251d3c36eadaa2107390f0b6bc770d68.jpg

Justin

I love how finally someone was brave enough to share the nitty gritty of the C&O railroad in my old stomping grounds. You won't find any of this anymore.

Justin

Good Afternoon Everyone:

Well no train again today, helped take down the X-mas tree and pack the decor. Maybe tomorrow I make down to the trains.

Justin: That C&O fuel tank certainly is pre-EPA watch dog regulations. Great looking shelter using the old domed baggage car...wonder what they used it for??? The ties covered with dirt and coal is a great modeling idea for a spur.

Rode our Gold Wing motorcycle through coal county and wow did we and the bike get dirty from the coal dust on the paved roads. Saw some railroad tracks, maybe eight tracks, side by side, in a coal loading area with unit trains. I don't recall the name of railroad.

Replaced a outdoor light fixture timer. Good job done.

Back to packing up decor.

Back tomorrow.

Greg

Good Afternoon Everyone:

Well no train again today, helped take down the X-mas tree and pack the decor. Maybe tomorrow I make down to the trains.

Justin: That C&O fuel tank certainly is pre-EPA watch dog regulations. Great looking shelter using the old domed baggage car...wonder what they used it for??? The ties covered with dirt and coal is a great modeling idea for a spur.

Rode our Gold Wing motorcycle through coal county and wow did we and the bike get dirty from the coal dust on the paved roads. Saw some railroad tracks, maybe eight tracks, side by side, in a coal loading area with unit trains. I don't recall the name of railroad.

Replaced a outdoor light fixture timer. Good job done.

Back to packing up decor.

Back tomorrow.

Greg
The baggage car was used for the yard crews. Apparently these were used widely throughout the system for that reason. They lasted into the CSX years. Of course they were abandoned by then but were still standing. I love the fuel tank. Definitely will make one up for my layout.

Justin

Oops...forgot to post this picture of the former depot in Lannon, Wisconsin on the old Bug Line of the Milwaukee Road. It was only a mile or so from my house.

lannondepotbuglinec1910.gif

source: Waukesha Freeman July 14, 1892

Going to make it a project to find the exact location where this Depot was located and use the house in the background as a starting point.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All...A further note on the WS 'Just Plug Lighting System'...I got another opinion from a Local Hobby Shop and they felt
much the same as Greg...That splicing 2 together shouldn't be a problem and that they'd probably(?) have a diminished output...
So, if I decide to go that route I'm just gon'a buy an extra pair (cheap) of the 'Sticky' LED's and test them out...Even an electrically
challenged dummy like me can manage to splice 2 wires together...If they don't work for some reason...I'll buy an extra hub or 2...

Trig :D

Now I realize I'm supposed to be 'Work'in On The Railroad'...But equipment acquisitions is also a part of my job...I don't think it's
unreasonable that I went out a bought a CAT 972K Front Loader...Looks like a pretty handy piece of equipment to me...I like it !!!

CAT972K.jpg

We won. I'm good until this coming May when I finally retire. I thought I might be retiring in Feb when this contract expires, but we got the new multi-year contract so I'm good until riding season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back