Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Good morning everyone. 64 and clear here in SW MO. Next few days should be fantastic - sun, highs in low 80s, lows in low 60s - great sleeping weather.

I'm with the guys like Chet - hate the over-the-top technology now being included in new cars and the increased costs passed along to the consumer whether we want the tech or not. Last time we bought a new car was 1975 - no hi-tech worries back then. Right now I've got an '09 Santa Fe - small SUV that thinks it's a truck :) I've carried 4X8 plywood, long ladders, landscaping blocks and timbers, La-Z-Boy recliners, and almost anything else you can imagine in that thing, and then it's versatile enough to take five people and luggage on a 1000-miile vacation this summer. I would never buy a new car these days - if the Santa Fe dies, I'll buy another 10-20-year-old SUV. But ya know - sooner or later all these new cars with all their technology features will be on the used car lots, and guys like us will have to buy older and older cars just to avoid the technology. OK, done ranting.

Have a good day everyone.

Stuck in the house all summer with the shingles, now it's cold again and seasonal depression is kicking in, Lovely.

Still hurts like the dickens and it is not fading near half as fast as it came on. Scary crap, I hope none of you ever have to deal with this.

Good morning RR fans!
Temp expected to reach 97 today - big high pressure bring desert air into our area.
Nothing new today .. woke up at 3 am for some reason .. watching the news ... the world's a mess!

Nice looking truck, Terry.
I thought you were;t to tow anything for 500 miles?

Good morning ..

Terry ... Your new truck looks great ahead of that beautiful trailer.
Bruce New Guy .... It is sad you hear of your misery with shingles. Praying you get relief.

High tech cars .... My first car was a 1955 Chevy with a 265 V8. Just basic transportation before emission controls, etc. .... Now, I miss that old beast.

Good morning everyone. 64 and clear here in SW MO. Next few days should be fantastic - sun, highs in low 80s, lows in low 60s - great sleeping weather.

I'm with the guys like Chet - hate the over-the-top technology now being included in new cars and the increased costs passed along to the consumer whether we want the tech or not. Last time we bought a new car was 1975 - no hi-tech worries back then. Right now I've got an '09 Santa Fe - small SUV that thinks it's a truck :) I've carried 4X8 plywood, long ladders, landscaping blocks and timbers, La-Z-Boy recliners, and almost anything else you can imagine in that thing, and then it's versatile enough to take five people and luggage on a 1000-miile vacation this summer. I would never buy a new car these days - if the Santa Fe dies, I'll buy another 10-20-year-old SUV. But ya know - sooner or later all these new cars with all their technology features will be on the used car lots, and guys like us will have to buy older and older cars just to avoid the technology. OK, done ranting.

Have a good day everyone.

newer vehicles have way way too much computer-rubbish in them draining the batteries and just generally screwing things up!! I had a 2001 Subaru that I could park in my driveway in November and just walk away from for 4 months of Canadian winter, come back in March, brush 3 feet of snow off it, jump in and turn the key and drive off, no fuss no muss. Nowadays, new cars, you leave it parked for 4 days its dead.

Good Morning All. 71° and partly cloudy, pretty nice breeze from the east. Second night in a row with the windows open! Unusual for August. Hurricanes a'comin! They rarely reach this far north...sometimes we get some residual rain but probably not this time. It's going to leave it all on the coastal areas, Houston's in trouble. They have overbuilt on the flat plains over the years and many of the original water courses have been filled in and developed, no drainage courses left. Won't be the first time or the last time!
Out in the train shed, I dabbled in the manure piles. Here's a couple of not so good pictures of the results. I mixed Ailene's white glue and brown India ink and dabbed it on with a toothpick.
08-25-17 001.JPG08-25-17 007.jpg
08-25-17 003.jpg08-25-17 004.jpg

Eric - You may already do this when painting figures, but when I paint them, I open one color, blue for example, and paint pants and/or shirts on maybe two dozen figures. Then I open another color, maybe light brown, and paint some more including hair, hats and shoes...might be adding some to the ones already started, maybe not. I then move to the next color, perhaps black and repeat the process. I also keep a couple of sprues of partially painted persons next to the workbench. Whenever I am painting something else, I add that color to a few figures. When I am real bored, I go back and do belts and ties with a toothpick! Most of my unpainted ones are Preiser ones so I actually start with skin tones first.
You don't need a town to use figures. Workers around industries, along trackside, in and around any structure, and cut off the legs and put them in vehicles.
Sherrel - I make my barbed wire fences with three strands. Around here there is anywhere from three to five, three is easier to make.
Beady -
What's money for if you don't spend it? Besides, we're meeting expenses without touching our retirement money, so what the hell?
I'm with you on that. Haven't touched mine yet either after two years. Matter of fact, It's gaining more ground every day; and I haven't even tapped into SS yet!
Garry - Beautiful photo of the ATSF units.
Curt - Thanks.

Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Good morning. 51 degrees and smokey. Can't tell if it's overcast or clear yet.

Eric - Your eyeballs must be looking at each other after paint 50 figures. I prefer to buy unpainted figures and keep a tray with them on my work bench. When I am painting something, I will use the color I've been using and use the color on the figures. This way they eventually get done, but I don't think my eyes could take a marathon session painting figures. More power to you.

Bruce - Sure hope the bout with the shingles subsides soon. Not fun at all. I've never had them, but know people who have and it can bring people to their knees.

Terry
- Nice looking truck. That's a pretty good towing capacity for a mid size truck. Enjoy and try to ignore all the technology if you can. The RS-1 is on its way back to Atlas. Hope they can fix it right this time.

Gene - I have to agree with you. I have an old '72 Chevy heavy duty C-20 that is like the Subaru. I have had it parked from early fall, through the winter and in the spring go and have to move it to mow under it in the spring. Starts right up without a problem.

Willie - Nice photos. Where there are cows, there will be cow pies.

A couple of years ago when I had been looking at new cars I was at a Chevy dealer checking out the Impala but rejected the car because of all the technology it had that I didn't want. The saleswoman brought me over to a desk where a young was sitting. Her main job was to help customers of new cars go over operating all of the gadgets and the touch screen. Politely I told her that I really didn't need her assistance because there was no way on earth that I was going to buy a new car that wasn't equipped the way I wanted it and told her and the saleswoman that apparently Chevrolet does not make anything that I would be willing to buy.

Yesterday I ended up watching the Stewart F-3 in the Northern Pacific Lowey paint scheme. Below it was a Srewart F-7 in the black freight scheme. Really didn't need it so I put in a starting bid of $25. Later I got an email advising that I had won it. New in the box, including shipping for a total of $33. Hope my bid holds up on the F-3. It will require a bit of work. such as adding grab irons, replacing the two stock horns with a 5 chime that the NP used. A winterization hatch and spark arrestors, but I will wait to order them hoping that I win the F-3 so I can order the detail parts for it also.

Here is my rail photo for the day.

train-tracks59lgf.jpg

Later

While doing some searching for an F-3 or F-7 in the Lowey paint scheme, I ran across this old photo that was taken at the Northern Pacific depot in Gardiner, MT, the north entrance to Yellowstone Park which one of the members of the Livingston Model Railroad club did a fantastic job recreating. The photo was taken in 1905.

Gardiner 1905.jpg IMAG1135.jpg IMAG1134.jpg

Good Afternoon All,

Crappy sleep pattern again last night. I ran some errands this morning and then spent some time doing a couple more corrugated roofs on a couple of small sheds. After that I ordered some more of it. I think when it comes in I will re-roof the raised chute from the stock pens to the packing plant. I also need to start working up the plans for a 2 stall engine house that will be my next scratch built project.

I probably won't be on Sat. or Sun as I have Grandpa duty all weekend. I don't remember if I mentioned that last night or not.

Terry- Nice looking truck. Is that a Airstream Trailer behind the truck? I know that back in the late 60's they were the top of the line. I don't know about now though.

Chet- The club did a nice job on the station.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet - I guess that we're the only ones here today! It's good to see those pictures again, at least I think that you have posted them before.

Willie
EDIT
Well it looks like Curt showed up as I was typing. Welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sherrel, the truck is simply parked in front of the trailer, it doesn't even have a hitch yet.
The trailer is an Airstream. I work for the oldest Airstream dealer in the world. Airstream is still top of the line. This morning One of the new models was delivered, msrp is $137,990 for it. And that's not the most expensive one...

Willie - I have posted the layout photos before, but not the photo from 1905.

Curt has a few projects in mind. Would like to see the scratch engine house.

Terry - I thought that you would be hooked up to the trailer and off camping. Better get that hitch on. As far as Airstreams go, We have had the Wally Byam convention out here quite a few times. If you come to town the wrong time of day you could get blinded by the sun reflecting off of them. They parked at the Montana State University campus a number of times. Those Airstreams are probably the best laid out RV's on the market.

Howdy ...

In the 1950's, USA had the best passenger trains in the world. Of course, the Santa Fe War Bonnet was attractive.

But who can doubt the North Coast Limited (CB&Q/NP/SP&S) was very pleasing to the eyes ?

36631286302_fb4f0b60a8_b.jpg

Okay, I had to re-activate Onstar, then go into my account, and turn off advanced diagnostics notification, dealer maintenance notification, and safe driver.
I was assured by the person on the other end of the call, the "demonstration mode" would not restart once the free trial period ended. We'll see.
Anyway, there's some more different stuff going on the block...
Athearn RTR GP40-2, Chessie/B&O-GM50. The gold painted engine. It has a Tsunami sound decoder, LEDs, and Kadee couplers.
Athearn UP turbine and tender, with a decoder.
A BLI E8A in Wabash, with their P-2 sound.

Louis, if you saw the data I saw, you'd probably buy a tinfoil hat, too. It was pretty invasive. I just wonder why those records are not subpoenaed more in the event of an accident, or suspicion of drug or violent crimes...
Other than that, though, I am happy with the truck.View attachment 62947

My life is an open book. Amazon gave me an app for my business phone. Every time it updates it asks for access to various things on my phone, gps etc. I just click yes to all. Anyone spying on me risks being bored to death.

Anyone with a smart phone can be spied on even more easily and by far less scrupulous people.

My Mexican Chevy van does not have all those fancy do dads.

I love your truck! There is a new one in my neighborhood. Easily the best new pickup I have seen. Looks to be very practical, congratulations.

Louis.....That is a very good album. I have that album, and the equipment to play it on...

Yes it is a good album. I still have a turntable and over 200 LPs, but my hearing is so poor I could probably not tell the difference between an MP3 and a cut off a turntable. I listen to my Amazon music player through my phone plugged into what ever is nearest to me.

I think it curious, our generation was always trying to find better and better means to listen to music. The youngest generation is content to listen to condensed versions of their music, go figure.

FYI My van came with a CD player! I seldom use because it also has an Aux. port.

My kids have satellite radio, it's great, but what happens when you go into a tunnel? It would be great to listen to every MLB game, but not all at once.

Back