Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Good Morning Fellow Railroaders:

Chet: I lucked out on the valve repair, all I did was tighten the stem nut to put more pressure on the packing. Leak is stopped. But, the sump pump is in the same storage room and I always check to make the pump sure it starts and stops. It didn't start after several attempts and then did once and that was it. I did have a spare, new pump (20 years old) so I just installed that new pump. A trip to the hardware store for new pipes and an hour and an half later back home. Just a series of mishaps. A second trip was necessary to the hardware store for more fittings that were the right size for the new pump discharge. Will finish securing the pump later today.

New Guy: Good luck on repairing the bent forks. I rode and raced motorcycles for many years and just some advice that you perhaps already know just make sure the forks travel ok after the repairs and don't bind anywhere in their travel length.

Has interest in the forum slowed down? Seems to be fewer posts or comments.

Maybe trains later, I hope....!

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg - I had been tightening the stem nut every few years but finally had to replace the washer this year. The hydrant was installed 40 yers ago when we built the house. Think I got my moneys worth out of it.

GREG - Almost 300 posts in 7 days does not look like a slow down in this thread ... maybe the overall forum for the summer?

If anyone's interested - some (not so good) photos of ATSF 3751 near the Amtrak servicing area close to downtown LA.

3751a.jpg

3751b.jpg

3751c.jpg

3751d.jpg

Will do on checking fork play after "repair". Not today though, his Mom is on Alzheimerz Road and his brother seems to be going SCITZO, he's hoeing a tough row, the scooter can wait. The Shingles is as bad as you have ever heard it was, the backside of it takes two and a half weeks and it STILL feels like a GIANT hand is SQUEEZING my left chest. If I was not sure it has shingles I'da thought I was having a heart attack, that stuff ain't no joke!

Sherrel - Those are some interesting photos. Thanks for posting them.

Bruce - Hope you get over thse shingles soon. Not a lot of fun.

How cool is that!? One of my first sailing ships was the USS Constitution.
I believe it's designate BB-1 and "officialy" still listed as active.
Yes it is, complete with crew and commanding officer. Anybody who makes it to Boston should definitely go aboard her.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Toot - I don't think so. On the grades where the DC locomotive will just climb the grade, the DCC locomotive will sit and spin its wheels. Weight is the problem. I assume that some of the weight has been removed to make room for the DCC electronics and speaker.
One word: Bullfrog Snot.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Guess what...my new spare sump pump didn't work after I installed it. Sounds like the impeller is bad, broken, or loose. Reinstalled an old pump that surprising turned over after sitting for years. Waiting for the glue to dry before testing it.

Wife will have a bird. Keep this a secret.

Greg

I don't like to put anything on the locomotive wheels. Refused to buy anything with traction tires also.

Guess what...my new spare sump pump didn't work after I installed it. Sounds like the impeller is bad, broken, or loose. Reinstalled an old pump that surprising turned over after sitting for years. Waiting for the glue to dry before testing it.

Wife will have a bird. Keep this a secret.

Greg
Greg, for fifty bucks each, or lips are sealed. :)

Terry: A new pump is only $75, but I paid maybe $35 for the one that doesn't work almost twenty years ago!. I see a repair job maybe in my future since I think the "new" pump maybe repaired.

Fun doing any type of plumbing...never have the correct parts.

I'll tell the wife soon after she has had a few wines and I tell how great she looks. Hope this approach works.

Best thing today is I found my Craftsman's adjustable wrench that was missing for years.

Stay tuned.

Greg

Back