Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

No Cutty Sark, but I did the Constitution, Thermopylae and Spanish Galleon. On the other end of the scale, I did an entire fleet of 1:600(?) pewter sailing ship's for wargaming (I still have them! They're a little battered, but...).

How cool is that!? One of my first sailing ships was the USS Constitution.
I believe it's designate BB-1 and "officialy" still listed as active.

Looks to me like I'm going to finish up ballasting everything this evening/tonight.
I only 6 yard lines to go. The main track and one yard is done.
Of course that doesn't take into account touch ups all over.
E.

Morning Gents,
I finished ballasting last night and am already doing touch ups this morning.

Now I'm out of money as well. Alas.... it was a good run while I had it. If I could empty my townhouse in GA that would well over $700 a month I could keep in my pocket. Unfortunately, I don't think I could handle the drive.

It's only 61 but muggy heading towards 85 today.
Not bad at all really. Some 4 years ago when I came up here to bury my Mother, it was running around 100° just about every day.

Guess I'll start on laying down turf or some such foliage.
E.

Good morning everyone. If there are some fresh apple fritters, I'll take two of those - one for here, one for the road - - and a cup of coffee, please. Ahhhh - the day is looking brighter already. 69 here in SW MO, heading for 85 with a 50% chance of thunderboomies all day. The weekend is looking wet.

Eric - great progress, and nice photos. I identify with your financial problem - I order something about every month from MBK and it empties my layout fund.

Willie - Our garden is still giving us a few squash, tomatoes, and cucumbers - another couple of weeks and it'll be done. Don't know that we'll plant a fall crop this year.

Last night I ran two trains around the short track - just because I can :cool: Now that I've got two locos that run at the same speed off the single controller, it makes it more interesting and fun. Then I worked on changing out some trucks and couplers on a half-dozen freight cars (stuff I bought at model RR shows). Next steps: get the bridge built and in place, put up more backdrop, and then get the track down on the new part of the benchwork.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 71° and clear this morning. Weather forecast for the next ten days is easy, mid-70's to mid-90's, sunny and moderate south winds. While it's not in the forecast, there is a good-sized thunderstorm 40 miles north of here near Ardmore OK that's heading south. Might dissipate before it gets here. Fingers crossed that it does make it. Ground is quite dry. Back to the routine grocery/beer trek today after skipping last week. Definitely cleared some stuff out of the freezer and fridge. Pantry shelves are looking thin as well except the canned veggies that I did this spring/summer. I actually found some spinach in the freezer that was dated 2005 that was still just as good as the day we froze it.
Did nothing except run trains yesterday. Ran one over the track that I painted earlier this week to check for cleanliness, and got carried away with through freights and at least three switching runs. For variety, I send out a local freight to service two towns and park it on a passing siding while switching one or the other. I'll then run a through freight and/or a unit freight from end-to-end before resuming the switching maneuvers. I only ran on the upper level yesterday, where there are currently 5 cities with a combined 31 or so industries to switch, may with multiple spots.

Garry - I thought that I had read about your lakefront. That does explain why you enjoy boating so much. Having a dock and not putting the boat into and out of the water each time would certainly add to the enjoyment.
Beady - Hand pump! Kinda takes the spontaneity out of it!
Terry - Never thought to re-name our router. Of course we're 200' from the road and anyone stopping in front would be really noticeable anyway. Our router does not send a signal into the train shed, the shed's front porch is as far as it goes. There must be a way to extend that but I don't know how. Might be a wall situation, I just don't know.
Eric - Your progress is amazing. I can't work on a singular task for more than an hour or so before I get bored and switch to something else. Running trains is an exception, as it's not a task.

Everybody have an excellent day.

Willie

Yeah Willie, I haul as..s in stuff like this.
In the mean, since I posted earlier.... I'm well into ballasting.
But, the green turf is what's "downtown".

E

Good morning. 43 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the mid 80's. If there are any fritters left, I'll have one also.

Eric - You sure are making a lot of progress having all of the ballasting done. I've been working on my layout for quite a few yers and still have about 12 feet that is still without ballast. Had to tear out some track to make room for buildings and never completed the ballasting. Some day. Saw the photo you posted the other day and the long passenger cars don't look bad on the outer track.

Ken D&J must be worn out after his trip. Hasn't checked in recently.

Win 10 updates are a real pain in the a**. My computer at home is still Win-7 but the one at work is Win 10 and last week it got an update that screwed the computer up for most of a day. Still have a couple of issues with it. I have also stopped automatic updates like Toot on the work 'puter.

I did manage to find some time to go down to the train room and run some trains. Trying to figure out what to bring to the club in Livingston on Saturday.

I did hear from Atlas last week about the RS-1 I sent in. Was on the phone for a while with the repair man. The locomotive was not picking up from the truck on the long hood end. He tested it while I was on the phone and agreed. Hopefully I'll get it back soon. Think I may bringing a few of my Atlas RS units Saturday and run a long train for a change. Everything that I have in DCC are real wimps on the grades that they have at the club. MY DC Atlas RS-1 can easily handle 15 to 16 cars on my grades but the DCC RS-1 can only handle 8. Guess they want modelers to buy extra DCC locomotives to do the work that a single DC locomotive can do.

Louis - Where are you???? We also have other MIA's.

Here's my rail photo for the day.

8854218180_95d2e96052_z.jpg Oops, no rails.

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
No good railing against that photograph Chet. Or the railroad. Think the train might be delayed.

Everything that I have in DCC are real wimps on the grades that they have at the club. MY DC Atlas RS-1 can easily handle 15 to 16 cars on my grades but the DCC RS-1 can only handle 8. Guess they want modelers to buy extra DCC locomotives to do the work that a single DC locomotive can do.

I wonder if the Vmax (the amount of voltage being applied to the motor at full speed) is set too low on your engines.

Toot - I don't think so. On the grades where the DC locomotive will just climb the grade, the DCC locomotive will sit and spin its wheels. Weight is the problem. I assume that some of the weight has been removed to make room for the DCC electronics and speaker.

Good morning Everybody!

Chet I have been busy, taking advantage of these lower temperatures. Lots of footwork involved in searching for property, most of it fruitless. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

Still researching the possibility of purchasing a store. I met with 2 wholesale suppliers, both thought they had a novice (sucker) sitting across from them. Once they found out I had been around the block their prices quickly adjusted. Especially when I told them their approximate costs of the lines of items I was interested in. Now I'm look into the possibility of selling wholesale as well, I wonder how many suckers they have over paying? That is another question I need to find an answer to.

On the home front, I did find .8 acers with a really cool, huge old farm house on it. It is located in northeast Baltimore City. Only problems are the old Knob and tube wiring to 60 amp service and no central heating. It does have several fire places, but only one has been outfitted with natural gas. Otherwise the house is solid and the roof is new. The hardwood floors and molding are spectacular! The huge kitchen has been gutted, but that is a good thing, my wife can make it her own. It also has a scattering of several varieties of fruit trees on the property.

This place might be worth buying as an investment. This great country has opportunities around every bend! I was slow to catch on, but there is money to be made without much physical effort.

Does anybody have any experience with the electric fireplaces that can be controlled by a remote thermostat? My possibly outdated thinking is; electric heat = inefficiency.

Well Sports Fans and Model Rail Roaders - What do you know ... good, decent night's sleep and zero trips to the potty last night!
That hasn;t happened in a VERY long time! I doubt that it will happen again anytime soon, but I just cannot describe how much better it makes me feel. Just have to NOT overdo anything today.

I'm glad thay you all have enjoyed the "fritters" that I brought along yesterday .. have to remember to pick up more the next early riser that I do. I love apple fritters almost as much as doughnuts! Spousal Unit was up with me yesterday morning - she took #1 grandson to Disneyland for the day, was there when they opened the gate at 7:30 and came dragging in the door here at midnight! It was their last hurrah before school starts again. Ex SIL gripes, complains, and throws a fit if g son misses a day of school like you would not believe - what an a hole he has turned out to be! My folks took me out of school many times .. sometimes making up the work was a drag, but they believed that I gained much knowledge of the world which was good too- might have been what prompted me to spend most of my life traveling the world, huh?

OK, Seems I always get distracted and on other subjects. I repaired the water feture of the fountain which had not worked in over a year and then repaired a couple of extension cords that I had sawnthrough by being in a hurry and not paying attention. Dang it's nice to get in m truck and nt have the headliner sitting on my head! Need to take it down and see what $ they want to paint it today.
Weather was 95 yesterday and expecting 94 today - no clouds at all!

I'll try and ramble more later .. I'm sure that you all are waiting with baited breath?

4-6-4-1066-at-Lindenwood-Yard-St_-Louis-Missouri-in-1947-Robert-J_-Foster.jpg

Good Morning All. 71° and clear this morning. Weather forecast for the next ten days is easy, mid-70's to mid-90's, sunny and moderate south winds. While it's not in the forecast, there is a good-sized thunderstorm 40 miles north of here near Ardmore OK that's heading south. Might dissipate before it gets here. Fingers crossed that it does make it. Ground is quite dry. Back to the routine grocery/beer trek today after skipping last week. Definitely cleared some stuff out of the freezer and fridge. Pantry shelves are looking thin as well except the canned veggies that I did this spring/summer. I actually found some spinach in the freezer that was dated 2005 that was still just as good as the day we froze it.
Did nothing except run trains yesterday. Ran one over the track that I painted earlier this week to check for cleanliness, and got carried away with through freights and at least three switching runs. For variety, I send out a local freight to service two towns and park it on a passing siding while switching one or the other. I'll then run a through freight and/or a unit freight from end-to-end before resuming the switching maneuvers. I only ran on the upper level yesterday, where there are currently 5 cities with a combined 31 or so industries to switch, may with multiple spots.

Garry - I thought that I had read about your lakefront. That does explain why you enjoy boating so much. Having a dock and not putting the boat into and out of the water each time would certainly add to the enjoyment.
Beady - Hand pump! Kinda takes the spontaneity out of it!
Terry - Never thought to re-name our router. Of course we're 200' from the road and anyone stopping in front would be really noticeable anyway. Our router does not send a signal into the train shed, the shed's front porch is as far as it goes. There must be a way to extend that but I don't know how. Might be a wall situation, I just don't know.
Eric - Your progress is amazing. I can't work on a singular task for more than an hour or so before I get bored and switch to something else. Running trains is an exception, as it's not a task.

Everybody have an excellent day.

Willie
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Version-Wi-Fi-Extender-WN3000RP/dp/B004YAYM06

Louis - If the price is reasonably on that old farm house, it could be a decent deal. Sort of like the HGTV show "House Hunters Renovation" which I like a lot. 30 some years ago I had a good friend buy an old home like that and it really turned into a dream home. We worked on it for around 6 months. It had the old knob and tube wireing which we replaced. Brought the electrical service up to a 200 amp service. It only had one bathroom, but the house was large enough that with some moving of walls a master bath was built and a huge walk in closet which his wife fell in love with.

It also had no central heating, but only had one fire place. We brought natural gas to the house and built his wife a gourmet kitchen. With the help of many friends, the house was completed. He still lives there and wouldn't move for anything. We recently installed a Rinnai tankless water heater like we have at out place. Of course, this was 30 years ago, and he got the house with 12 acres for $6,700. renovations cost him around $7,500 for materials, and with a lot of free labor (and beer) it was completed. It was recently appraised at $850,000. It was a long process but well worth the time and effort. With all the people that have been moving into the area in recent years a bare one acre lot can go in the mid $50,000 range.

Willie - It sounds like you fall into the same trap I do when I go into the train room. Just end up running trains instead of getting some work done on the layout.

Sherrel - I am happy to hear that you finally got a good nights sleep. Long over due. Just take it easy and let your body heal. Many more good nights ahead.

Fingers and toes crossed. Using a number of tie downs to stabilize the Scooter we will attempt to bend the forks back to a serviceable position using a cable pull/ratchet/dealie thing I don't know what cha call it! OY VEY!

I'll let ya know...

new guy, if you can bend it, you can mend it! It may be a little weaker, but I have fixed lots of stuff like that.

Consider sliding a pipe over the fork and using that for leverage?

Back