Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIX

I have the whole weekend off and I can't decide what to do.
Tomorrow, I'm going to the train show in Fredericksburg, VA to scan for used containers then I'll go pick up two of my grandchildren to bring them back to the show to see the operating layouts.

Mornin', gang. Christmas came early, today. My shipment of Jelly Belly jelly beans got here: 4 lbs of 49 flavors, 1/2 lb of Soda Pop and 1/2 lb of retired flavors brought back for the holidays.

Down in the basement, and it may be I'm repeating myself, it turns out that we're *exactly* on the 100 year flood line. This means we must either pay $80 per month in flood insurance or get an Elevation Certificate, which would effectively push back the flood line from our property. To do the latter, we have to pay $300-$600 for a surveyor, hope that he puts us higher than the crest, then challenge the Army Corps of Engineers. Luckily, this is an entirely separate issue from the asbestos abatement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Beady it's good to hear Santa put you on the nice list.

When it comes to candy I am a Hershey's chocolate man, preferably with almonds. I don't much care for other candies with the exception of jelly beans. I don't know what makes them so good, but I love them! Only problem is now that I am diabetic I eat very little candy. I will however skip lunch on the rare occasion, usually Easter or during the Christmas season and eat a little bit of candy. I have to follow that up with a walk to lower my blood sugar. it's worth it and an extra walk never hurt me.

What are the retired flavors? I never noticed, the green and yellow ones are my favorites, but they are all good.

Louis - I'm still here!?! Spent some time earlier this morning editing Wikipedia Rock & Roll pages, another hobby of mine. BTW, I like that Lionel 2016 Christmas car. They always seem to do a good job.

Willie

Willie I am interested to hear more about your other hobby, I love music. I never had any real passion to play music, but I do like to listen.

When I was 19-20 My than girl friend started an all girl heavy metal band; Scarlet Angel and they are still playing, although I think she is the only original member. I have not seen her in years, but I do sometimes see ads for her band playing in local clubs. I had some fun back in those days making sure the club owners paid and drinking for free, but it got old quick.

It finally warmed up a bit and we went to town for Friday night bowling league in a snow storm.

Sure was quiet this afternoon in the coffee house.

Later

Been having a tough time with reliable connectivity... well,a lack of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

....another one that I picked up,
still waiting for its delivery....

IMG_20161210_080659.jpg

E29A at Piedmont, MT, in June '69!
Photo by Jim Ozment

Willie I am interested to hear more about your other hobby, I love music. I never had any real passion to play music, but I do like to listen.

When I was 19-20 My than girl friend started an all girl heavy metal band; Scarlet Angel and they are still playing, although I think she is the only original member. I have not seen her in years, but I do sometimes see ads for her band playing in local clubs. I had some fun back in those days making sure the club owners paid and drinking for free, but it got old quick.
Louis - I am a music fanatic. Specifically I listen to Rock music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and some from later than that. I also like jazz, classical and some of the alternative stuff from the 90's. I have over 65,000 mp3's on my computer (and back-up drive), about 40,000 fit on my iPod. When I was younger I collected LP's (record albums) and still have over 1500 of them. Not having a car, I missed the 8-track thing and never did cassettes because of the lack of fidelity with them. I did move into CD's but have never counted them. As I listen to and research stuff to keep the inner files (composer, my ratings, release date, etc) updated on the mp3's, I also edit and contribute to Wikipedia pages regarding particular artists. I have also written a few articles for Wikipedia, mostly on albums, but at least one on a performer. I have nearly 500 edits documented, plus a few undocumented (forgot to log-in). With a few exceptions, substance abuse by many artists pretty much ruined the music by the late 80's, and I simply stopped listening to most newer stuff. Some like Aerosmith had some dark days in the 80's but came back in the 90's. I like real rockers, not "Captain and Tennille" type stuff. Some of my favorites include but are not limited to Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, most Led Zeppelin, earlier Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, David Bowie, The Yardbirds, The Who etc.
I could never play any instruments either, but in college I did take many courses in studio production and engineering, including a semester long stint as a DJ on the college station. Did some movie soundtracks as well. This was in the days of tape, quite a few years before digital.

Willie

Good Morning All. 36° and overcast right now. It warmed up overnight and it's warmer now than anytime yesterday!
Didn't want to spend any time outside cutting lumber for benchwork yesterday, so that's on hold until Monday. Today is changing oil in the wife's car and picking up leaves with the grass-catcher attachment on the tractor. Tomorrow is granddaughter's second birthday party in Dallas, so no train work. Too bad because it is supposed to be 70°+ tomorrow. OK though, I wouldn't trade trains for granddaughter any day...yet!
Johnny - With very few exceptions, the Kadee magnets work for me. Being in awkward places also means that they aren't too visible. Cars that don't work with them usually have an issue that's not related to the magnets. Mostly the Rix tool works on everything, but it takes some practice to get it right. Does require two hands though.
sauced - Regarding track plans. While I had a general idea of what I wanted and how I wanted the benchwork to be, I did most of my actual track planning on the plywood with actual pieces of track, along with either the actual industries or approximate cardboard footprints of them. After putting things down semi-permanently, I test for a few months before doing the track painting and ballasting. Time to re-do is before the ballast.
Chet - Just the opposite here, when the northerners move in and complain about the 100°+ days. I also laugh at the people who "move to the country" to get away, and then complain that all of the stores and fast food outlets are too far away!
Justin - I have seen that video many times, but it still makes me laugh when I see it.
Ken in MD - Light project looks like it is coming along well.
MR113 - Great picture (of Green Bay), really shows the true side of railroading. Only was able to see part of the video, looks good and I will go back when I have some more time.
Ken (D&J) -
I like watching trains.
I liked the real thing in years past when there was more variety than now. On the BNSF main line near me, it's about 5:1 unit trains over mixed freights. At least there's a variety of paint schemes on the locomotives, including a few patched Santa Fe warbonnets with both the blue/yellow and red/silver schemes. Model trains fill the gap nicely though.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Music, eh?
50's, 60's, 70's and some 80's, not so much modern, rockabilly, guitar instrumentals a' la Ventures etc., blues, some jazz, can also enjoy some classical and 30's and 40's tunes....and of course a hard working steam locomotive, or 1st and 2nd generation diesel, radial or inline aircraft engine and proper V8's like Mopar!

Sorry, got carried away there! lol

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go!

I am so happy to be able to say that! Thank you God!

Bye for now, but I'll be back!

Have a great day Everybody

Good Morning;

A little frosty here this morning! And of course it is the weekend for our vehicles oil changes, which I always do myself. Fired up the heater in the garage and poured a coffee. Will read the paper then off to the garage I go!

Have a good day everyone!

Untitled.jpg

Music, eh?
50's, 60's, 70's and some 80's, not so much modern, rockabilly, guitar instrumentals a' la Ventures etc., blues, some jazz, can also enjoy some classical and 30's and 40's tunes....and of course a hard working steam locomotive, or 1st and 2nd generation diesel, radial or inline aircraft engine and proper V8's like Mopar!

Sorry, got carried away there! lol

LOL! It happens. Over time I have broadened my musical horizons to the point where I can appreciate just about anything as long as they are good at what they do. Bach to the B 52's and Bach again! LOL! Banjo Bluegrass, Mountain Gospel, TECHNO, Disco, nearly died at a WHO concert, saw just about every rock band that toured near me in the last thirty years, U2, etc. FREAKED out when The Scatalites stopped at the gas station I was working at and they freaked out that someone in Jackson Mi had even heard of them! Folk, PUNK, Rock, Alternative, Jazz quartets from the 50's...not that "smooth jazz" KA-KA, that is about the only music I just cannot tolerate! I'll take elevator "mood" music over that stuff any day! Among the rotating residents in one of the houses I lived in during my party daze was a band that called themselves CHUNK, not very good musically, but the lyrics were hilariously filthy!

Good morning, Everybody .

Curt ... Interesting home made uncouplers. I have the Kadeem magnets in a few places in the track, but usually uncouple manually with a home made pick.

MILW 113 ... I like the MILW photos you posted.

Ken in MD .... Your headlight project is going very well.

Beady , .... We are just barely above the 100 year flood line. Actually it is the same has the height of the dam which crated our lake. There have been a couple of floods since we were here which did get very close to our house. Where do you live ?

Louis ... Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho ... Off to work you go! .... :eek:... It is good to see you are thankful...... I heard you are close to MB Klein. I was there about 15 years ago, and may have been close to your home.

What did I buy while I was at MB Klein 15 years ago? .... I bought two Walthers double track truss bridges. They became the middle spans of my Mrs. Hipp River Bridge ...

GNoretrainMHR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. 28*F and sunny with a westerly breeze in central MD.

Been having a tough time with reliable connectivity... well,a lack of it.
Eric - I hope your talking about internet and not the medical plumbing..:confused:

MILW - Great video, always love seeing trains from back-in-the-day! Kinda sad that many of those rights-of-way don't exist anymore.

... I like real rockers, not "Captain and Tennille" type stuff. Some of my favorites include but are not limited to Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, most Led Zeppelin, earlier Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, David Bowie, The Yardbirds, The Who etc. ...
Willie - it appears that you and I have identical tastes in music! [except I never was that crazy about Talking Heads, maybe because Burning Down the House got so overplayed..?]

... Ken- Excellent work. ...
...Ken in MD - Light project looks like it is coming along well. ...
Thanks Curt and Willie!

I did a test install in the same F-unit #4546 that I've been working on since I started this project. Snapped a lot of cell phone pix, was up past midnight getting them cropped and uploaded to my website - here are two of them. The first one shows what it looks like with the clear styrene "glass" cover and the light turned off. It actually is countersunk, it just looks like it isn't in all the way. The second photo shows a closeup with the headlight turned on.

F7_4546_headlight_off.jpg

F7_4546_almost_here.jpg

I've decided to start a separate thread to avoid hijacking the Coffee Shop with this topic!

Good morning. 28*F and sunny with a westerly breeze in central MD.

Eric - I hope your talking about internet and not the medical plumbing..:confused:

MILW - Great video, always love seeing trains from back-in-the-day! Kinda sad that many of those rights-of-way don't exist anymore.

Willie - it appears that you and I have identical tastes in music! [except I never was that crazy about Talking Heads, maybe because Burning Down the House got so overplayed..?]

Thanks Curt and Willie!

I did a test install in the same F-unit #4546 that I've been working on since I started this project. Snapped a lot of cell phone pix, was up past midnight getting them cropped and uploaded to my website - here are two of them. The first one shows what it looks like with the clear styrene "glass" cover and the light turned off. It actually is countersunk, it just looks like it isn't in all the way. The second photo shows a closeup with the headlight turned on.

F7_4546_headlight_off.jpg

F7_4546_almost_here.jpg

I've decided to start a separate thread to avoid hijacking the Coffee Shop with this topic!
You are building me up to add some B&O units to my fleet! Your headlights are awesome!

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good morning fellers. I received my dwarf signals in the mail yesterday. They are two aspects not the three aspects common on C&O lines. I decided to go simple with this and use two aspect dwarfs. I may get some three aspects as the dwarfs I'm using are fairly cheap. I only paid $5 for ten dwarf signals. Also going back to my Athearn RTR locomotives. I've been in touch with Athearn to see if this is a common occurrence. Performance wise I have no complaints about them. Just the annoying strobe headlights. It just kills it for me. I have thought to look through my track wiring to see if that could be the cause. Somehow I failed to add in any jumpers in my #2 block where the issues seem to occur. I had thought I had added a feeder by my loadout. I guess I had it as a thought not reality. So push come to shove I think I'll add a feeder or two to my #2 block. My plan is to really look at my wiring this weekend. I feel my issues are on my end and I need to solve it.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Back