Windows 10 debackle

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
My wife decided to get windows 10 on her PC (grrr), downloaded it via the Microsucks windows 10 download page and it downloaded successfully, apparently. During the installation, we lost the internet. NOW windows is telling my wife she has to start from scratch and re download the cr@p!

Why in hells name do you have to be connected to the internet for the thing to install? And, is the download saved on the PC anywhere so it can be installed at a later date at the owners discretion?

I dun'no about where you are, but July 29th is the last day to get the download/install for free, here. After that you will be charged to buy it. If you lost internet connection during the install, then yes, you will have to go back to the beginning and start all over again. You will still, if successful next time, still have the option to restore back to your previous OS (WITHIN 30 DAYS).

Toot'n,

Yeah we have the same download by date here and thanks for the info. What a load of garbage though, I'm glad it is her messing up her computer and not me :)

If she doesn't like it, don't miss that 30 day restore, or you loose the option. And then your current OS gets stripped off the machine, happened to me on about the 2nd update after, nothing to do to stop it.

Tony, you can download the installer onto a flash drive, then put it on the computer. She can go the upgrade route, an just enter the windows 7 key on the back of the computer, or click "I don't have a key" if her computer is running 8 or 8.1. Today is the last day for the free upgrade, though, so if she is going to do this, it needs to be done now.
And no, it doesn't resume a download, it starts over from the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more than with getting rid of windows. And yeah, an apple a day keeps the tech away IF you can get one without being charged an arm and a leg for the "privilege"!

I just had to replace my computer at work and of course got stuck with Windows 10. Not much of a choice unfortunately. I have managed to figure out most of the differences from Win 7 to Win 10, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I have come across a few items that Win 10 will not do with the software we are using that Win 7 had no problems with.

My son who is a computer geek has been using Linux for years and has been trying to talk me into it. Maybe some day it may come about.

True, but I do not believe in having to pay for "support" once you have bought the product.

I started with Windows in 1994 and stuck with it in its various forms until my computer crashed about10 years ago, when I switched to Apple. I have never had to call or pay either company for support. And I am no techie or computer geek.

Chet,

I have been seriously considering Linux as well. The only thing that has stopped me is it will not run FSX (flight sim) and that is something that I have to have. I have even contemplated building another system for FSX, but can't really justify the cost.

I haven't had to obtain support from microsucks as I can do most things where our computers are concerned; however, Tootie (my wife) has an IPad and she had to a one point. They wanted $50 or $60 to help her with her problem and would not do anything unless she paid them. That turned me off Apple for good even though their systems a far superior to a windows system in terms of their OS at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling Apple or Microsoft are the absolute last resorts for help. I use the internet and more computer savvy friends for help when I run into issues.

Gene,

I fully agree with you and that is exactly what I do when I am stumped and what my wife eventually did do I think.

Anyway, I still don't believe that a person should be charged for technical assistance from the company that made the product.

Chet,

Just while I think of it, what version/model of Linux does your son recommend?

What's Windows 10. I keep getting these offers to download it for free...and I just keep hitting the "Delete" key! Yeah, I know...Windows 7 won't be supported for x-number of years or days or whatever. Until the blasted confuser blows a gasket, or they perfect W10 (probably just two days prior to introducing W12 or W499-1/2), I'll stick with what I have. BTW, I still have an older beast running on XP!

So I bought this "cheap" ASUS laptop three years ago when my Dell XP version crapped out. This thing had Win8 on it and I had no idea how to get anything to work on it. Geek guys at Best Buy managed to transfer most all my data and files into it except they would not move some programs that needed original disks (which I have most of, somewhere). I hated Win8 so much that for almost a year I did not even turn it on, until I talked to wife's nephew who works in IT. He set up the screen to look like Win7 and I was able to at least look at various forums, email, FB, and able to do my electronic payments (I was using my ipad prior).

I delayed the upgrade to Win10 for a very long time - then I decided that I would do it no matter what happened. The upgrade was fast and effortless and I have not had, knock on wood, so much as a smidgen of a problem. There are still many things I do not know how to do, and if someone showed me how, I would not retain the knowledge. Anyway, I have really no complaints except I just have not found my way around where everything is the way I knew my XP.

Chet,

Just while I think of it, what version/model of Linux does your son recommend?[/QUOT

I never got that far with him Tony. I found a couple of programs that I use and won't operate on Linux. The conversation pretty well ended there. I could ask him for a recommendation if you're interested.

Back