Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Good evening. Got the new breaker panel installed and one room about halfway sheetrocked. Going to take my son and his wife to dinner and afterwards my son wants to stop by a gun show.

Catch you later.

Gah!
I turned on my computer, and it began installing Windows 10, all over again!
I had to wait for it to finish, then uninstall it again. This time, I turned off all windows updates. I had updates turned off previously, but somehow the settings changed themselves to allow automatic updates.

Gah!
I turned on my computer, and it began installing Windows 10, all over again!
I had to wait for it to finish, then uninstall it again. This time, I turned off all windows updates. I had updates turned off previously, but somehow the settings changed themselves to allow automatic updates.

Ve vill decide vitch O.S. you haf! Do you Oonderstand!!

Good evening fellow, 'Rail Setters & Spike Drivers',
Hi Flo & Francine, How are both this nice day. I'll have some coffee and a Apple Fritter.

Clear 90.9 °F - Feels Like 89 °F;
Winds are from the West at 5.3 mph;

Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.
Today High 94 | Low 54 °F
0% Chance of Precip.

Yesterday High 96.8 | Low 62.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

Pressure 29.96 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 89 °F
Dew Point 54 °F
Humidity 29%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth 44" and still falling! Lol

> > >

This morning I got up around 7:00 to go pee and check on, Buffy, my male cat who had been all night as I couldn't get him in last night. There he was out front on the bank where I had cut some of the high grass back hunting but as soon as he saw me at the sliding glass doors he came running over so I told him to go to the front door, which he did and I let him in and noted how nice cool it was. I needed to do more weed eating but was still feeling a bit tired/lazy and went back to sleep.
That didn't last long, as fate would have it I was abruptly awoken around 8:00 to a strange sound of some machine engine running that sounded fairly close. So I got up and what did I see but some guy going back and forth across my front slightly sloping bank and said what the heck but half expected my friend Joe to come over and help me out even though I hadn't asked him and sure enough it was him using his Self Propelled walk behind heavy duty string trimmer he had halled over in his utility trailer, chopping the dry weeds down. What a surprise, so I figured I better get my lazy butt out of bed, get dressed and put on my high boots and get my string trimmer and get to helping him which I did. I had done a portion of the front prior but with both of us working we not only finished the front for the most part but also did the East side of the gravel driveway and all around back of the house up to my 10 x 12 metal building which sits about 100' from my home in the back yard is all gravel but even has some weeds that came up in it. It sure makes me feel a lot more secure knowing the tall grass is wacked back.
Thanks God for friends like him.

So needles to say I got one heck of a work out and boy were my legs stiff after that. I treated Joe to a Paddy Melt he said he wanted, he even offered to buy but I said NO, and had one myself and then Joe bought us each Fudge Sundays at the local frosty shop we were at, and he and I enjoyed talking about trains.

= = = =

Here are my Bachmann trolleys on my layout ... I believe they will look better after I install the overhead wires, but cleaning the rails will then be challenging with poles in the way of my clumsy hands.

Streetcars.jpg

Good morning ! ...... I'll have coffee and a donut.

I did take the time to work on the layout yesterday. .. Definitely was a good sanity break. .... I am completing the "one week project" I started over two months ago. :p

GArry: Getting lost in thought while working on the trains is indeed good therapy. Your prolonged endeavor sounds familiar. LoL, my layout it dragging along too but may now begin to move a little faster as I'm getting some of the other stuff done that needed doing. Outside weed eating

As far as cleaning the rails under the overhead Picatinary[?] would the Woodland Scenics hand wand be of any help? The handle can be folded down quite low and can easily be used from one side or the other in between the upright overhead hangers. While the head does have a lock position for straight, once move off the positioning post it can be freely swiveled 355+ degrees. I like to use the courser cleaning pads in mine that have precut grooves in them to hug the rails and when you come to switches you can carefully tilt the cleaning head on it's edge to at least get the inside edges of the rails and even carefully skate it over the frogs and point areas and points.

Good afternoon. 87*F and sunny. For that reason I am currently staying indoors - mowed my front lawn between 8-9am this morning to avoid the heat!

Willie - I can sympathize! I had to have a bridge installed last year, and it set me back ~$5000.

Garry - sorry to hear your having those issues with your ex-SIL. I'm no stranger to the ravages of addiction, my father was an alcoholic and wound up dying at age 48 because of it! That was a wake-up call to me when I started showing some of the early warning signs of the disease myself - with the help of God I haven't ingested any type of alcoholic beverage for the past 34 years.

Not much going on here on this lazy Saturday afternoon. Now that I've finally finished tinkering with my RS3's I can resume preparing for an op session. I've already generated my manifests and switch lists; my next step will be to speed-match all the locos I plan to use for their various consists. DecoderPro to the rescue!

Ken: Congrats about having the knowledge and will power to keep yourself away from a bad situation!

WILLIE- We still fondly remember our SHAR-PEI that we had 20 years ago. Right now I closed my eyes and see him . damn tears are clouding my vision.
As for dental work, it's needed but ain't no funds.
As for railfanning, if I was so inclined, about an hour away in Wildwood, is a CSX yard.

Phil

Phil: Sorry for the loss of Shar-Pei, we do get attached to them as much as a child.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot: I tink da las wort should be Unterstand! ?? LoL Got to love dem Krauts. Ish bien ein ouch. I'm one too.

Yeah, knew I didn't have that one right, sorry 'bout that. There was a German member of my AMRA club that I only met the once at a club function. He picked me up on my pronunciation of Marklin, the German model train maker, and the reason for the 2 dots above the a, (which my keyboard won't let me type either).

When I was about 21 or 22 in New Zealand, I owned a Citroen car (the ones you see in WW2 movies) and went to a dealer to get parts for it. Being a Kiwi, I pronounced it Citrun. Before I got my parts I got a 10min lecture on the correct way to say that. Great car for it's time, learned the vagaries of FWD in that, cornered like it was on rails in the dry, but in the wet, real tricky.

Yeah, knew I didn't have that one right, sorry 'bout that. There was a German member of my AMRA club that I only met the once at a club function. He picked me up on my pronunciation of Marklin, the German model train maker, and the reason for the 2 dots above the a, (which my keyboard won't let me type either).

When I was about 21 or 22 in New Zealand, I owned a Citroen car (the ones you see in WW2 movies) and went to a dealer to get parts for it. Being a Kiwi, I pronounced it Citrun. Before I got my parts I got a 10min lecture on the correct way to say that. Great car for it's time, learned the vagaries of FWD in that, cornered like it was on rails in the dry, but in the wet, real tricky.

Toot: I was just joking around with you about how the word should be spelled. I was tired from all the work I did and was just adding to your joking. Actually I am half German on my Mother's side and took three semesters of it in High school but when I typed that I couldn't think<[denk] what the word<[vort?] for understand was? It just came to me, [verstehen], pronunced ver-sta-hen.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 77 with 56% under mostly clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

One last post about addiction; I believe DNA has more to do with addiction than anything else. I had my years of self-destructive behavior. At the age of 11 I started drinking every weekend. At 17 it escalated to nearly every day and I began using drugs. I did not know anyone who abused more than me. At 22 I found out I had a baby on the way and I quit abusing. No more drugs or drinking to get drunk. It was easy for me, no withdrawal, nothing. It was not divine intervention, I believe it was the luck of not having the addiction Gene, nothing more. I have to say I never used heroine or LSD. I saw a film strip in elementary school showing what happens to heroine users. I witnessed first hand the consequences of LSD in high school. Anything else was fair game in my book. I should be an addict or alcoholic if not for DNA. Please don't congratulate me, I am ashamed of my behavior. I was just an idiot who was lucky not to have the addiction gene.

Every year 5,000 people die from cocaine overdose, 10,000 from heroine, 25,000 from prescription drugs and alcohol causes 88,000 deaths. That is 128,000 deaths each year due to substance abuse in the US alone and that does not count accidental deaths abuse causes. By contrast in WWII the US lost 407,000 in 5 years. https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties#Human_losses_by_country

There are countless other innocent victims. Thousands of children left to fend for themselves. How much crime is caused by addiction? I only wish I knew what we could do to solve this problem, but we must solve this problem. It's one of the reasons I am donating my body to science when I die. I don't know what else to do. I have never been able to help an addict and I have tried several times.

It's really hard to hear about a friend or family member who died from substance abuse, but it is somewhat of a relief too. They come to hate themselves and their lives as addicts. A few have disappeared, never to be heard from again. I know first hand these are not all inherently bad people. I do know that children of addicts need to know their parent or parents are not bad people. Addicts are people caught up in something they have no control over.

I'll say it one last time; Drugs and alcohol make good people do bad things.

On happier note, there is a lot going on here, you guys are a productive bunch! Well done everybody!

I had good day as well. My baseball camp went well, I cut the grass and then took a nap. I woke up in time to see the birds close out a close game against the Angels. The birds are still hanging on to first place in the AL East. Today's game will be interesting to see Tim Lincecum pitch for the Angels. I'm pulling for him to make a successful comeback, but I hope the birds can beat him and the Angels today.

Happy Sunday Everybody!

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 68.

The two little dots over vowels in some German words is called an umlaut, and changes the pronunciation of those vowels. In the case of the model railroad company, it changes the name from Mark-lin to Mare-clean.

GEE WHIZ !! Social Studies and Grammar lessons . OH yes, and Weather reports. O.K., here is mine- 76f- humid,clear going to hit 97 again but with a good chance of 98f- Heat index again 107 or higher. 30% chance of rain ,None so far last three days my area. Rains skirted south and west which is weird as the east coast counties were getting t/s.

Curt- How did Rescue run go?

Hope y'all have a GOOD day . Family,food and fun.
Phil

GEE WHIZ !! Social Studies and Grammar lessons . OH yes, and Weather reports. O.K., here is mine- 76f- humid,clear going to hit 97 again but with a good chance of 98f- Heat index again 107 or higher. 30% chance of rain ,None so far last three days my area. Rains skirted south and west which is weird as the east coast counties were getting t/s.

Phil
Phil, no extra charge for the prognunsticashun lessons. :)

Good Morning All. It's a pleasant 70 degrees and clear here this morning, Humidity is still high from the thundershower yesterday afternoon as everything is wet. Scored .4" of rain in total. At this time of year, we'll take whatever we can get. I did get more mowing done in the morning and picked veggies. Out in the train shed, I painted some Preiser people in between switching trains. It seems that I can never have enough to populate everything. I am getting better at carving off the hats and shaving off the heavy coats that seem prevalent on their figures.
Terry - I've heard and read nothing but problems with Win10. It seems like Microsoft is now attempting to scare people by sending notifications that the "freebie" ends on July 29. Is it worth the trouble yet? Guess not after I saw your follow-up post.
Garry - Glad to hear that you can get back to modeling. Trolley picture looks good. Like David posted, you might look into the Woodland Scenics "Tidy-Track" cleaner on a wand. It's effectiveness would depend on how you mount your overhead wires. Note that it is much less expensive on Amazon than from Woodland Scenics. I use it when needed on hard to reach places.
Ken - Good for you for recognizing a problem and kicking it before it took hold.

Everyone have an awesome Sunday.

Willie

Willie, I finally formatted the hard drive, and did a clean install of Windows 10 yesterday. What a difference. I remember having many problems going the upgrade route int he past, from XP to Vista, then from Vista to 7, but though for some reason they might have figured out after all this time how to do it without issues. Guess not...
Anyway, the computer now works like I think it should, though Trainz doesn't work on it.

Good morning ...

Thanks everybody for commenting on my streetcars photo. I do have enough poles to install about half of the needed overhead wiring. That's as far as I am. ... My current project is another part of the layout. My layout extension is large, and is big enough to be a layout itself. I want to get it done before going back to working on the streetcar line. .... The Bachmann streetcars require maintenance which takes time. The mechanisms in those streetcars are not well designed in my opinion.

As for cleaning rails, I already have the CMX track cleaning car, the Centerline track cleaning car, and the Walthers box car with abrasive pad. ... Those products do well in hard to reach places. ... The Walthers boxcar with abrasive pad is operated often in my freight trains, and the mainline stays clean just with it.

AH yes !! Main tain ence. I just have an engine push pad cleaning car with ATF on the pad to get the dust then use a stainless steel washer,by hand, to smooth the rails . Thats from FRANKEN-DIESEL.

Phil

TERRY-Thanks for the free lesson. I can't even pay attention.

Temp. already 88*, humid as heck. Ovenlike outside. Did some shopping in order to beat crowds and higher heat.

Phil

Good morning. 50 degrees with showers this morning and a high expected only in the mid 60's. Fine with me because I won't have to drag hoses around to water the lawn.

I did make a purchase at the gun show last night. Got a S&W M&P .223 cal. If it clears up I might go to the range and try it out otherwise go downstairs and run trains.

Sure miss having the internet because it's a pain posting on a phone.

CHET - And other shooters. Use the search engine and look up ak 107. VERY INTERESTING. Like to get one for DEBBIE.

Phil

Mid day, this fine Sunday, it's mostly Sunny and 78°, going to the mid 80s. We are already 7° warmer than we were all day yesterday.

Louis: Birds gotta win today or dem otter boids from Toronto will catch 'em. Have you tried this blog site?

http://www.camdenchat.com/

As you may have gathered, it's dedicated to all things Orioles.

Garry: I am seriously considering one or two Bowser PCC Street cars for my layout, if I can fit them in somewhere near were the business district is going. Bachmann's probably use a similar drive to their gas car, also a high maintenance item.

Ive been too busy of late, to follow much of anything on the forums. Next week will be similar. Everything is sort of like a whirlwind, before it grows into a tornado. Tomorrow, a charity will pick up the MIL's '96 mercury Sable with 40k original miles. Needs a battery. Also Electrical and Chimney inspections for the CO. Beyond that, we get the place professionally cleaned, and hopefully the appraisal and the buyer's mortgage get favorable approval. Sooner we put that chapter behind us, the better.

Back