Running Bear's Coffee Shop LII

Good morning .

Eric ... I like the old Caddy. .... When we were in Orlando last winter, I met Curt. I wanted to also meet Flip (Phil) but he was ill at the time. .... Also, a yer ago we saw the hotel in San Diego you are talking about.

Chet... I like the looks of your Alco fleet.

Lawd Jesus!
You guys are taking me forever to read all the posts today. Can't believe how fast we have used up these 100 pages?

Chet ..Really like that group shot of your notive power .. Nice color too!

Now I have to go back and view all the videos !

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 90 | Low 61 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday

Somebody is trying to tell me something. Coming back from a hearing aid check up just now and there is what looked to my untrained eye like an Alco (the cab was rounded and set well back from the nose) that looks like one of the fleet Montanan showed but in CSX colors sitting at the crossing down the street, heard the idle sound and the air working as I went by! It was talkin at me!

I'm coming around on the Alco action, LOL Can't deny, yours do look good! It's the style of the one in the back that I find just does not grab me like the design of the ones in the foreground. I dunno why.

The one in the background is an FA1.
In real life, they sucked. The models, not so much.

Terry - Actually the model wasn't particularly good out of the box. I can't remember who made it, possibly Life Like, but the innards look just like an Athearn unit. I had to replace the old sintered iron wheels with nickel silver and after replacing the motor with a NWSL can motor and installing constant lighting, it is an excellent running locomotive.

The one in the background is an FA1.
In real life, they sucked. The models, not so much.

Maybe that's why there is one that looks similar(I have not gotten close enough to it) sinking into the rails on a siding near here. I keep telling myself to go get some pics and when I do get it together enough to go down there with a camera it will probably be gone!

Chugging along on the ceiling prep, nothing worth a picture till the drywall starts going up. Going to have to "NOG" (LOL!) pretty much the whole ceiling.

In light of seeing all Shark photos from the other day I may have stumbled onto something in my old DC fleet!!!
I took a break from finishing up ballasting touch-up work. I just happened to take a look at these 2 sitting on a top shelf just above eye-level. I recognized the nose configuration immediately.
Are these not "sharks"??!!
Anyone know the exact make and model of them?

The 2 have identical shells except for the paint schemes obviously.
The are both old Tyco models. I don't remember if they ran or not. I suppose I could temporarily hook DC to the rails and find out.
E
P8180029.JPGP8180028.JPG

Good stuff E! The paint jobs on em ROCK! Looking forward to seeing you get those babies up to snuff and running!

Smoke and a sandwich and back to it. 20 out of about 70 'nogs' already put in and I'm chugging along.

David, I beg to differ, For me the BL-2 is at the top of the ugly heap. (What about the AMC Pacer, or Gremlin)

I think the sharks are the ugliest thing on tracks. Kinda like the AMC matador (some will remember that one).

I got to see what this gets after what happened to me when I said I don't jazz for some Alco units!

Imma just go over there...and TAKE COVER!

Good morning rail layers and spike pounders,
Hello Flo and Francine, looks to be a busy place this morning, Jeffrey would be proud.

According to WW it looks as though things might be a bit cooler today, thank God.

It's fairly Clear but Hazy too, it's 96.3 °F - Feels Like 94 °F;

Winds are from the West at 6.3 Mph;
Humidity is at 22%;
The Barometer is at 29.86 in. of Mercury Hg

Not too much being done on the layout, I may try and get a bit more work done building another # 6 curved Right hand turnout. It get warm out in the garage though even though it all insulated.

NG -I sort of like Alcos. I model the transition era because that the era I grew up in and have a lot of memories about the railroads back then. Although there weren't a lot of Alcos in the area where I live, there was just something about the looks of them. Being that I freelance, I could run anything I wanted and I did choose Alcos and built a fleet of them. Here are just a few of them.

View attachment 51673 I have a few more of them, but they were probably on hidden staging tracks. These all started off as undecorated models.

Chet: Your fleet of Alco's look very good, almost makes me wish I was modeling a later time period.

Good morning .

Eric ... I like the old Caddy. .... When we were in Orlando last winter, I met Curt. I wanted to also meet Flip (Phil) but he was ill at the time. .... Also, a yer ago we saw the hotel in San Diego you are talking about.

Chet... I like the looks of your Alco fleet.

Garry: The Old Caddy does look very good doesn't it. A friend in Fresno, Calif. and photographer too had an Old RollsRoyce about that time period, neat old cars.

Lawd Jesus!
You guys are taking me forever to read all the posts today. Can't believe how fast we have used up these 100 pages?

Chet ..Really like that group shot of your notive power .. Nice color too!

Now I have to go back and view all the videos !

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 90 | Low 61 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday

Say Sherrel: Yeah the coffee shop pages are sure filling up fast. I, like you and Garry, also like Chets Alco fleet!

David, I beg to differ, For me the BL-2 is at the top of the ugly heap. (What about the AMC Pacer, or Gremlin)

The pacer and gremlin were loosers as well. My college roomate had a gremlin: even with 6 cylinders, I think my Stihl chainsaw hooked up to the driveshaft could have gotten that thing to move faster. And, it was ugly.

I can't knock all AMC cars. I have an AMX sitting in my shop that isn't bad looking and runs like a scalded cat.

I can't knock all AMC cars.

We had a '68 rambler, and I always thought it looked kind of cool. It had 2 doors and was brown and tan, I think. With some mag wheels and a souped up motor I think it could have been pretty cool looking.

Of course, it couldn't hold a candle to our 72 duster. Right out of the factory you couldn't hold it down. Ours had a 318, it was my moms car. My brother rolled it in about 6 months.

The pacer and gremlin were loosers as well. My college roomate had a gremlin: even with 6 cylinders, I think my Stihl chainsaw hooked up to the driveshaft could have gotten that thing to move faster. And, it was ugly.

I dunno Man! Guy I knew in H.S. back in the 80's had a Gremlin and he made it into a BEAST! I don't know exactly what he did to it but it was a true 'Sleeper' he yousta make a little money with that thing!

I dunno Man! Guy I knew in H.S. back in the 80's had a Gremlin and he made it into a BEAST!

!

My roomates must have been a late '70's model. I know he bought it used, so not sure how beat up it was, but the engine in that thing was HUGE and LAME.

That was back in the carburetor days, also the early days of unleaded gas. All sorts of issues possible.

What in the name.....turn your back for five minutes and it's all of a sudden 100 pages, as they say....you snooze, you lose, right? lol
Hope that you're all in good shape and getting some serious railroading done, think a cold or something is trying to get a grip of me, but I'm fighting it on the barricades! ;)
Hopefully feel a bit better this weekend to do some more work on the BARF....

My roomates must have been a late '70's model. I know he bought it used, so not sure how beat up it was, but the engine in that thing was HUGE and LAME.

That was back in the carburetor days, also the early days of unleaded gas. All sorts of issues possible.

He was known as a carburetor genius so that may have had something to do with it. His 72-73-74 Camaro was also quite a 'thing'! We were unfortunate to be coming up as that was going down. My Dad yousta talk about the scene in Detroit in the 50's and early 60's when the automobile technology curve was going straight up!

Back