My first Layout - a 5' x 9' Modern BNSF Freelance

Thanks for the complements. I will add more pictures and perhaps video in the days to come. It looks mostly finished but I still have many projects on my list. I have always wanted an around the room shelf layout, but my son and I decided the priority was to get trains running (in circles) as fast as possible, and build something that could easily go to train shows and still run continuously. It would have taken more work I think to get enough modules built to do that right. So here we are. Of course, now we want to expand to a shelf as well. :)

Some more pics showing areas not clearly seen already.

First up, the large grain elevator.
IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

Next is the nearby scrap yard. (sure wish I could take better pictures)
IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nicely done. I think it's also a classic example of "less is more" -- speaking for myself, it's really taken me a long time to realize that a smaller layout can have all of the qualities in detail, realism and interest that a larger layout has. Your work looks like you've taken a lot of time to get it right!

I really like all the scenes that you have done, they are well detailed and very believable! The latest pictures you have posted don't show up for me though. And I really would like to see them!

Absolutely fantastic mate. You and your son can be rightly proud (and pleased) with what you have done. The only comment I could make is maybe some photo or painted scenes on the backdrop. I'm sure this layout will be a "Hit" at any trainshow. Congratulations.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice indeed!! You have some serious talent :) I'm jealous, my first layout was Thomas lol :p

Thanks for all the compliments!
We are very excited about taking the layout to a train show. The next one available that we can do that is in St Cloud, MN this November. Maybe we'll see someone on here at the show.

We do plan on finishing the backdrop with a nice photo backdrop. That will improve the layout dramatically I think.

Ken, your compliment was by far the highest. I am a big fan of Lance's layout, and have tried a couple of the things I have seen him do, with varying success. Attached is one pic that I think comes closest to the feel of his layout. This is my favorite location on my layout.

IMG_0692.JPG

OK, the picture posting is working again, lots to come...

I sent our GP38-2 off to a guy to get Tsunami Sound installed, and it sounds fantastic. He did some light weathering as well, but since then, I have become confident enough in my own weathering to dirty it up some more. I have not done that yet though. This baby will be our main horse for switching cars in the many industries on the layout.

IMG_0771.JPG

I have weathered most of my small freight car fleet over the last couple of months, with pretty decent results, and some really good results in at least a couple of cases I think. Boy does good weathering make a difference!

IMG_0931.JPGIMG_0937.JPG

My son had done a lot of the photography of the layout, including all of the above pics in this comment, and the below pic, which is my all time favorite. Looks pretty realistic I'd say.
IMG_0809.JPG

I'm glad I stopped in when I did, very nice!
I still can't believe you squeezed all that into a five by nine and managed to get that big railroad feel, well done!

BTW To answer your earlier question I'm North of you by a wee bit, Garson MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back