DCC numbering question...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
I just had a random thought today to double check my locomotive numbering for future DCC upgrading.

I have two units with the roan number 517. My question is, is it possible to assign the address in DCC of "0517"? This would make it simple, otherwise I have to re-number one of the units. If it is possible, I'd make it easier, and prefix all Amtrak road numbers with "0" just for conformity.

What system are you using? I know some systems like MRC Prodigy Express zero cant be used as a digit before an address

The code isn't stored in the decoder as 4 separate "numbers", it is stored as a single decimal number (actually converted to binary) so I don't know that your scenario will work.

Mark

Thats what I was debating, I want to use an NCE system, I was thinking Power Cab, but I'm now wondering if its low amperage will be enough to handle the sound systems. So, 50/50 Power Pro, or Power Cab.

It seems like you should be able to lead with a 0, but at the same time some computer number set systems will not save a lead w/ a 0 (think, calculator, type 01 + 05, ect...)...

You can't use a zero at the beginning of a unit number in DCC. The easiest thing to do, is renumber one of the offending engines. Or just don't have them on the layout at the same time.

You can't use a zero at the beginning of a unit number in DCC. The easiest thing to do, is renumber one of the offending engines. Or just don't have them on the layout at the same time.

Thanks fred i figured you'd chime in with the answer, before i stuck my foot in my mouth again.

Yeah, I asked on the NCE yahoo group, they said the same thing.

They suggested to use "17", or "5170", or something to the effect. BNSF #517, will now become #533, however. ;)

Back