Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

I managed to make some progress on the static grass issue this week. Thanks to some feedback on another thread I started specifically for the issue, I was able to get a look that seems more reasonable. I added some darker fine turf around the layout in between the patches of static grass. This definitely made the layout a lot better. I then used a little bit of the weathering powders to tone down the static grass directly.

IMG_6839.jpeg

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6834.jpeg

IMG_6832.jpeg

I also added a bit more detail to the hills using some of the Woodland Scenics light green course turf that I had.

IMG_6837.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

It definitely looks a lot better in my opinion! My plan is to continue with adding some various turfs, flowers, etc…to the static grass and surrounding areas.

I’ve never had good results with the static grass, never stands up like I expected.
I’ve read that you can rub a balloon to make it staticky then hold it close to the grass while still wet to help it out, anyone ever try that?
I’ve heard that the longer static grass fibers are harder to work with, specifically with a static grass applicator. I used 2 mm and 4 mm fibers which worked well!

I’m not sure that balloons would work but that would be interesting to try out! I would suspect that the static charge wouldn’t be powerful enough but I could be wrong.

Third from the bottom shot the best scene of this series, in my opinion. The rocks in the bottom scene maybe a bit more color/tone/fiddling.

Really nice work! Dave LASM
Thanks! There are some reddish tones in the rock work but the camera doesn’t do it justice. It could definitely still use some more color but I’m not sure the best way to go about it now that I’ve begun applying the surrounding scenic material.

Back