Recent content by Marlin39

1. M

Substitute for Homasote

I knew about Amazon, but they are a 12'X12" two pack for $25 each. I ain't buying 11 packs at that price.:oops: A 4x8 sheet should be under $50. I'm probably going to go the cork route.....especially for the price.
  2. M

Substitute for Homasote

I'm starting a new layout and was going to try going "old school". I have been using pink foam board, but nails, trees, etc don't hold very well. I wanted to try going back to 1/4" plywood with Homasote on top. Unfortunately, Homasote appears to be unobtainium right now.😁 The option I've...
  3. M

Northern Pacific Rocky Valley Branch Switching Layout Build

Mea Culpa. Thanks for the clarification. You're doing it right.👍
  4. M

You put my photo skills to shame. I cringe every time I post a photo.😖 Here's some photo examples of textural variance.
  5. DSCN2430 (2).JPG

DSCN2430 (2).JPG

6. DSCN2421 (2).JPG

DSCN2421 (2).JPG

7. DSCN2495.JPG

DSCN2495.JPG

8. M

Looks great. You're doing a great job! A couple of creative scenery comments for you to consider. 1. Trees - They look better grouped in odd numbers. 1 or 3 looks a whole lot better than 2. 7 together looks better than 6. 2. Rocks - As Logandsawman mentioned they need a dark wash, then dry...
  9. DSCN2511.JPG

DSCN2511.JPG

10. M

Acrylic Washes

I've used 90% IPA to make acrylic washes, BUT don't use it over a flat enamel coat. It will cost the flat coat to fog up. Sprayed Testors Dull Coat on a model I had finished chalk weathering, but wanted to give a final black wash to. The results were not good.
  11. M

Designing Layout #6 - I had an epiphany

The new layout is a small branch line that has 5 turnouts, no runarounds, 1 major industry, and 2-3 minor ones. The footprint will be just about the same, 10'x2', with a 3'x15" extension on the end. It's set in the 1960's Oregon Willamette Valley, serviced by the SP, with the major source of...
  12. M

Demolition has begun:confused:. I'm a little sad, but it's time for a change. I saved the trees, structures, and detail parts, but I am trashing everything else including track. the current switches are #4 and I am going to #6 so it looks a little closer to prototype.
  13. DSCN2523.JPG

DSCN2523.JPG

14. M

UPDATE I really did some thinking about what I really wanted out of this next layout and it was "prototypical operation". This is going to be a 180 from what I have been doing all these years......basically building a highly detailed, operating, large shelf diorama....whimsical or freelanced...
  15. M

I made it to the big time

Much appreciated. Thank you!

Back