Let's get LOADED!!!.....

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
ummm... figuratively speaking that is up to you....

Anyways I thought to start a thread on get a nice compilation of YOUR best MRR (not the prototype pic but u can include it if you modeled after the one you built) rolling stock with freight loads OR a pic of someone elses work that you may have seen elsewhere. I am trying to get the o'l idea noggin going for some fresh looks and ideas. I am on the quest of adding more realistic rolling stock to my roster. Ebay has been great but I want to see what I can do with fresh ideas. So I will post some of what I have and have seen.....

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Very nice, Alco. Did you make most of your loads?
Sorry, I don't have anything worthy to show:eek: . Maybe after I get caught up with all my layout scenery stuff.;)

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
pics #1 & #3 are mine others are from friends and local club etc. I will be concentrating doing some serious "loads" this next couple weeks. I have to many gondolas and flats with nothing on them....sooooo I thought to start this thread to get ideas and techniques.

I reallry favor the last set of pics of the coil car and coils of steel. This guy sell these on ebay. Incredible work I think.

Steve B

Firefighter
Great idea
Here's my little contribution
P1060093.jpg

lemscate

Holy crap, I'm somewhat famous. Those coils are made by my good friend. Those two pictures were taken by me on my layout, since he doesn't have any scenery on his.

How ya like those ore loads in the background? Real iron ore that I've collected and sifted. Of course, now that some of my work has found its way into this thread without my help, I'm going to have to post some more pics of my loads. Check back soon..

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Here's my humble contribution. It's all I could find, an excerpt from a much larger photo (one that shows all the structures). A retired teeming ladle being shipped to a startup mini-mill somewhere down South...
teeming_ladle_on_flatcar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kjd

Go make something!
Fantastic guys!!! Keep posting! I am looking for more!

Anyone have wood chip cars???

In a box somewhere, they haven't been out for at least two moves which is a sad story. I used triple expanding foam to build up the bulk of the load then added sawdust from the table saw to the top. I sort of had to mash them back to square, the foam expansion bowed the sides quite a bit. There were the old E&C cars so the risk wasn't too great.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.