Thread: Small HO Track plan Switching Layout suggestions needed

1. Default Small HO Track plan Switching Layout suggestions needed

I am by nature an o scaler but I am moving at the end of the year so I don't want to start on anything in o. I do however want to build a small ho scale layout. I was thinking along the lines of 2x4 to maybe 2x8 at the largest. I don't want a loop, I was thinking more of a small point to point like an industry with alot of switching, maybe even a railroad yard with a turntable. Whatever it may be I want to have a couple fo switching areas where it would be a challenge to move the cars around in the least moves possible. I also would like to have a number of trains moving at the same time, I plan on going dcc with a toggle switch option for dc. Any ideas or links that you could provide would really be apreciated. Another point that I wanted was a track that could be extended to add on to the layout in the future, something like a mainline option. I am lost when it comes to ho scale as I don't have a clue as to what resources are out there. Thank you.

I had a layout like you speak of....I had a dock/barge that I used to bring cars on and off the layout....bring on full, take off empties and visa-versa....Here is a small idea
    Bob Fogelsonger
    BMRA President
    Saluda cymbal endorsed drummer.

3. Default Small HO Track plan Switching Layout suggestions needed

Here are some links to groups and forums that specialize in small layouts...the first 2 you'll have to register to get the full benefits...the 3rd one you don't have to, the 3rd also has some O and S scale small trackplans and layouts....if nothing else you'll enjoy all 3 links...Cheers

Here's a site ( with some nice ideas for shelf sized switching layouts. A yard with a turntable is not possible even with a 2x8 but you can have a small yard operation with a lot of industrial switching in a 2x8 area. It would be easy to expand any of these layouts if you come into more space.
    Regards, Jim
    HO Scale Modeler

5. Default

Those are some interesting ideas, I guess I have alot to consider. Maybe I should go with an industry rather than a rail yard.

If you are looking for a small switching layout - try this which will keep you fairly busy (please ignore the "buildings!" It is based on an Nscale layout by Mike Fischer

Last edited by Shortliner2001; 10-03-2008 at 07:42 AM.

7. Default

Could you find a diagram for the "time-saver" switching layout? It would be similar to Shortline's sketch.

I've never been a great fan of John Allen's Time Saver switching layout but you'll find everything you want to know about it at
    Regards, Jim
    HO Scale Modeler