Tank Car Terminals (Propane & Fuel) PHOTO HEAVY!!!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
railBuilderDhd asked for some pictures of tank car facilities so he can model them on his layout. I went out this week and took some shots of the local terminals in the local area. Maybe this will inspire some other people to model these type facilities on their layouts. Hope you enjoy!!!!!

Small PROPANE FACILITY
100_2230.jpg

100_2231.jpg

100_2232.jpg

Large PROPANE FACILITY
100_2217.jpg

100_2219.jpg

100_2224.jpg

100_2223.jpg

100_2226.jpg

100_2227.jpg

100_2228.jpg

100_2229.jpg

100_2221.jpg

100_2218.jpg

Small JET FUEL FACILITY (Tomorrow)

Large JET FUEL FACILITY
100_2254.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2241.jpg

100_2233.jpg

100_2234.jpg

100_2238.jpg

100_2235.jpg

100_2236.jpg

100_2237.jpg

100_2239.jpg

100_2243.jpg

100_2248.jpg

100_2249.jpg

100_2240.jpg

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
You won't see those DODX cars much longer. DESC isn't buying them anymore. That is SrA Rulo, he was one of my troops before I retired. He was kind enough to take me over to the tank farm today and unlock it for me. One of the percs with being a retired Master Sgt. LOL

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I have a funny story about tank terminals or the 1 across the street from a company that I use to work for. I was sitting on the loading dock 1 day & the county was paving the street next to the building. Well, I tried to tell them that the RR had to get to that tank farm & they shouldn't pave over the tracks. They just looked at me in an awkard stare & said the train doesn't go there anymore. Well, Duh, there was a propane tank car sitting right there behind the fence. I didn't say anything else & when I went home the tracks had disappeared in the new asphalt. The next day the pavers put on another coat of asphalt. These tracks had been there for about 75 years & was way below the old pavement.
Well, you guessed it, about a week later I was sitting at the same location on the dock & here comes a train w/2 new full propane tankers. Well, it wasn't on the rails, but skidding across the road & plowed into the building where I was sitting. The train engineer should have seen it right when it happened because it was on a curve.
When the engine derailed everyone noticed it.
The county had to pay all damages, rip up the new asphalt, replace the rails & repair the big dent in one of the tank cars. I contacted the local newspaper, but it never got printed for some crazy reason.

railBuilderDhd

Jerome,
These are great photos thanks so much. I think this will really help make things look better than what I did before. Where is this fuel facility located? If you get more keep them coming. Also if you need photos or anything I can return the favor, let me know.
rbDave

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Dave,

Your quite welcome. I have 1 more small Fuel Facility I will try to get to this week sometime. It just holds 3 tank cars. It's one of the bases here in NC. Nothing classified or restricted, but just something that's not very public.

Last edited by a moderator:

railBuilderDhd

Don't go getting into anything that will get you in trouble for some photos. I just got a new order tubes to build with so I'll be doing some test builds soon and let you see as soon as I get something done.

railBuilderDhd

Good I just know how it is post 9-11. I often think I'm going to be tagged for doing thinks like the places I look at with MS maps on-line. I was just looking at the AF base you took some of the photos from. I could tell where in the map you took the photos from. It's cool.
Goodnight!
D

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Nice shots, Jerome. Good thing your retired military or you probably would be in jail. :eek: Any idea why all the tie plates were piled up at the end of track in that one photo?

Larry, that's a really bizarre story. You'd think the owners of the propane company wuld have made a stink. Sounds like they were real lucky not have a major disiaster on their hands.

railBuilderDhd

JIm,
I don't think Jerome has much to worry about because you can see just about the same think on maps.live.com as he posted here.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Seeing a facility from an aerial view and actually setting foot on it are two quite different things. Jerome is lucky enough ot have been in the business, so to speak. I wouldn't suggest trying to repeat his experience unless you want to spend time across the hood of a police car in handcuffs.

railBuilderDhd

I wouldn't try to get the photos Jerome has graciously posted here and would never ask him to do anything he wouldn't. I say we are all thankful he did take these photos and I'm sure he knows where he can and can not take photos.
Thanks Jerome.
Dave

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
It's not really that big of a deal. There is not sensitive about the area. Pictures like I took have been in the base paper and in the Fayetteville paper over the years. I just happen to be a retired POL troop from there and have unlimited access.

Jim, that line used to go back into the mainline, but it was cut at one time or another. I guess someone just piled them up to put them somewhere. Not really sure.

Rotorranch

MRR Refugee
I have a funny story about tank terminals or the 1 across the street from a company that I use to work for. I was sitting on the loading dock 1 day & the county was paving the street next to the building. Well, I tried to tell them that the RR had to get to that tank farm & they shouldn't pave over the tracks. They just looked at me in an awkard stare & said the train doesn't go there anymore. Well, Duh, there was a propane tank car sitting right there behind the fence. I didn't say anything else & when I went home the tracks had disappeared in the new asphalt. The next day the pavers put on another coat of asphalt. These tracks had been there for about 75 years & was way below the old pavement.
Well, you guessed it, about a week later I was sitting at the same location on the dock & here comes a train w/2 new full propane tankers. Well, it wasn't on the rails, but skidding across the road & plowed into the building where I was sitting. The train engineer should have seen it right when it happened because it was on a curve.
When the engine derailed everyone noticed it.
The county had to pay all damages, rip up the new asphalt, replace the rails & repair the big dent in one of the tank cars. I contacted the local newspaper, but it never got printed for some crazy reason.

Now that's funny, Larry!

I gotta find an HO scale paving crew/truck!

Rotor

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Dave, I don't know if you ever settled on building one of these yet, but here is a very simple 3 car unloading platform at the company I work for other facility. The four 20,000 gallon storage tanks are across the street, about 300 feet away.

100_3156.jpg

100_3157.jpg

100_3158.jpg

100_3159.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_3161.jpg

100_3162.jpg

100_3163.jpg

railBuilderDhd

Jerome,
That's some nice photos. So did they back 3 cars at a time into the unloading area and then pull them out when empty? The unloading platform looks like a great model to do with hydrocal. I may have to start on a master as soon as I get time.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Dave, yes they back them in and spot them on the headers. In the second to last picture, you can see the switch. That is the CSX line from Fayetteville that services Ft. Bragg, NC. We have only used that off-loading area once when the system was first installed about 5 years ago. All of our JP8 comes in by truck now.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.