Thread: Electro-magnetic uncoupling?

1. Default Electro-magnetic uncoupling?

Has anyone done this? I'm just leery of placing an uncoupler magnet in the track that could uncouple cars every time I pull a train over it......

I'm wondering if there's a way I can make an electro-magnetic uncoupler, flick a switch, uncouple the cars, bam (in true Emeril fashion).

Your doing N scale right?
    Union Pacific HO Scale Modeler

Sustaining Member of UPHS http://uphs.org/

The following are Yahoo Groups that I belong to (as Alcomotive):

UP Modelers
    Union Pacific : UPRR e-mail list
    UPRRSYS EASTEND: Union Pacific RR System
    Bunitmodelers
    Digitrax
    Shenware

3. Default

yup.

I'm looking at doing a bunch of small detail stuff like this.

getting sensors in the tracks to switch signals appropriately, etc.

4. Default

Actually I'm working on electromagnetic uncouplers too for HO KaDees since I think its the most powerful magnets U can get. I found a couple on e-bay but lost the bidding , so now unless I find some on e-bay for sale I will try do them myself, its not so hard, just have to use the right wiring, so not to get high current on them.

Kadee makes an electomagnetic uncoupler. Why not just use one of those?
    Regards, Jim

6. Default

will it not be too big for n-scale, and it'll work with micro-trains couplers?

If so, thanks for the easy solution!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UP2CSX View Post
    Kadee makes an electomagnetic uncoupler. Why not just use one of those?
    Why spend money on something I can make? I will spend money on items which I'm not able to make with my hands

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Maxitrains View Post
    Why spend money on something I can make? I will spend money on items which I'm not able to make with my hands
    Max;

IIRC, MR had an article by the late Gordon Odegard, on this very subject. He was MR's "resident" N-Scale expert, and wrote many articles on improving the N-scale "experience".

I suggest you and cmike go to the magazine index at Trains.com, and do a search on electro-magnets or Gordon Odegard. this will give you the title of the article, along with the month and year. If available you can get a back issue from MR itself or locate one by some other means.
    Last edited by Cjcrescent; 11-02-2007 at 09:15 AM.
    Carey
    Playing at expert again!!
    Keep it Between the Rails
    Alabama Central Homepage
    NARA Member #128
    SER & NMRA Lifer

The Allen Keller Great Model Railroads video on Gil Freitag's Stony Creek and Western has a segment in which Gil shows how he builds his own electro magnets for uncoupling. His layout is HO scale, but I suspect the technique could be adapted for N scale. Many public libraries offer these videos for check out so you don't necessarily have to spend the bucks on buying a copy. Good luck!
    Ed Briley-Independence, MO

10. Default

I build HO scale so that would interes me for sure.