Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermodal Modeling

Default Intermodal Modeling

I'm kinda curious who else has, a intermodal yard on their layouts? I would love to see some pictures, and see some suggestions for operation? Containers and trailers are a huge part of railroads today, and have been for quite awhile..

2. Default

In my area [Maryland], intermodals are rare because 1) the only such facilities in the state are associated with deepwater harbors and HUGE cranes, and 2) 95% of the people who can afford the necessary space and structures model the Transition era instead.

I haven't found anything online, but in Tony Koester's book Realistic Model Railroad Building Blocks, there is a section where some guy modeled a small IM terminal that exists in Huntsville, Alabama - it shows pix of the prototype plus the model trackplan.
    - ken in Maryland

Former CSX modeler, now returning to B&O.

Does planned work? This is the original track plan of the San Bernardino intermodal yard for my future layout. I switched it up some now though.

Models: | My Videos:
    Model Railroad Tips: | Custom paint services, & Hobby shop:

Ken L, I'm in and out of a intermodal yard 10x to 12x a night. So It gives me alot of first hand info, and pictures. it also kinda fuels the desire to have a intermodal setup. As for refrence material, I recomend a book titled Intermodal modelers guide. Has a small section on setting up a MRR intermodal yard, but its always nice to see what others have done.

Josh, I pull ALOT of Containers that come thru the Long Beach port, in you SB yard youll have to model a few of the containers that toyota uses, mostly Kline, some NYK, SeaLand, and APL 40's and 20's Ill snag some prototype photos for ya.. if youd like.

5. Default

Oh man I was just about to ask about this, living by the alameda corridor the main trains i see are intermodal, and I was wondering how do the different types of model intermodal cars run together
    Los Angeles - Phoenix Transporation

Will Fannin, CEO

How do they run together??? Thats over my head..haha

7. Default

Anyone that has ever seen the trains in/out bound at Long Beach knows what i'm talking about, I've seen 89' flats, spincars, well's, gundersons all on one train but the only thing I haven't seen was road railers, but this is the type of opperation I want to do

Will Fannin, CEO

I run Athearn spine car's with Athearn gundersons, the only issue is with the car weight, the plastic well car's are light and on my tight curves if i run the spine car's at the back of the train the empty well cars at the head end tend to come off the rails, when there are containers in i can hide weight in the containers which hold's them down. hiding weight is the problem with empty plastic well cars.
    Happy being a Firefighter

9. Default

Container yards would make for a neat model, especially if you also have an interest in ports and ships.

They require a lot of space to do correct. Modern container trains typically use 5 pack cars, which are pretty long. Modelers will often use a 3 unit articulated car to capture the flavor without quite as much length.

I think a shelf layout would make a great container yard, you need lots of length. Use a photo backdrop for part of it, as well as some containers to blend into the backdrop.

As for a container crane, the answer is easy. (It's just not cheap...)

Here's the centerpiece of your new intermodal layout:

A DCC controlled working container crane. Looks pretty cool...

10. Default

looks at the price and faints

Will Fannin, CEO