How to Make Trees and Shrubs

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

grove den

naturally natural trees
Thank you Natfoot Don't be sad ;) when the first 10 attempts :eek: of making a tree could "go wrong" :D it is a learning proces!... It took me almost 2 months to make my first tree that was O.K. in my oppinion, the so called "failures" where put together and now they look great as a forrest in the background of our N modules layout.:D Hope you enjoy it: making your own trees!!

Last edited by a moderator:

grove den

naturally natural trees
Josh Do you have pictures/links from the leaves and trunk of the palm trees and the most important: the name of the tree in latin so I can look it up myself...

Jos

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Jos, the "Washingtonia filifera" is the only native one, but you'll find others too, including the most, other Washingtonia's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

Other types:
Washingtonia robusta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana
Archontophoenix species, other
Carpentaria acuminata
Caryota gigas
Caryota urens
Caryota species, other
Euterpe edulis
Ravenea rivularis
Syagrus romanzoffiana
Syagrus species, other
Roystonea regia (and other Roystonea species)
Wodyetia bifurcata
http://junglemusic.net/palmadvice/palms-fast-growing-palm-trees1.htm

These were all taken from various references that refer to Southern California. The trees I'm looking for are the Washingtonia and Archontophoenix with "one offs" of the rest listed, with he Queen & Royal palms being high on that list. Basically I'm looking for the taller ones.

grove den

naturally natural trees
SouPac Thank you sir for the: " diorama in the third post" and the turorial about his trees/conifers.
You are right they can be made very easy AND FAST and , that is most important, they look good in large groups, so with many trees together...aspecialy in HO scale and larger... but I had to make solitair trees in scale N and they were placed in the foreground with other very detailed objects. That's why I "found out" to make the leaves with the smaller filterfibers.And after that I thought: Hey! could that be something to model HO trees as wel??? So I did and the how it went further you can read that overhere.
BTW thanks, now I've gotta "new" mrr website to watch!:)

Jos

grove den

naturally natural trees
Firtrees

Her are the last results of making firtrees in scale HO.
They are about 10- 13 inches high..
The "leaves" are made with the materials of "Mininatur/ Silhouette/ Silflor" Germany. It's very expensive..and the first time I had to cut the "mat" in pieces:eek: , I had to think more than twice...;)

Jos

grove den

naturally natural trees
still making trees

here a special order from someone else: a big old weathered ( oak) tree.
It is made in scale HO.
tried to make a detailed photos...:eek:
Worked about almost 3 days "on" it:)

Jos

Steve B

Firefighter
LOL Jos that's awesome, i'm stuck for words.
today we cut up the christmas door wreath for the childrens railway, we made a small forest of tree's with it, the wife has not made the connection where they came from yet :rolleyes:
P5250016.jpg

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
Wow - ... it just needs a hilltop to dominate now. Maybe a few rabbits around the base. Watership Down anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

grove den

naturally natural trees
Same technic but now for N scale trees and shrubs

Here are some pictures of my N scale module.
Made some new trees( from the old ones I made some shrubs;) ) and placed them on the spots of the old ones...
This weekend we're going to show a part of our modules layout(25modules) Hope the pictures I 'll make this weekend are worth showing...:eek:

Jos

grove den

naturally natural trees
My first autumn tree

here is the result of my first autumn tree: a beachtree..scale HO about8-9 inches.

Jos

I looks through ALL our your work...you certianly deserve the title of MASTER! Wow! They're so beautiful, and REALISTIC! How much do you charge for an Oak tree like the one you made? How about prices for other trees?

Are you working on a palm tree?

grove den

naturally natural trees
still no palmtrees

Hope you don"t mind Josh but I put the project: "palmtrees" in the fridg..:eek:
The main reason is: There are no real palmtrees in my neighbourhood!! I cannot compare the ones I see on internet and the very small ones here at the flowershops( only max. 10 feet that's all.) Besides that I have an order of 500 HO trees now......:eek: :D :D
To model a tree I have to see and even feel the tree( texture!) I did tried to make one but I stucked at he trunk...:mad: I've watched many pictures very carefuly but , I think, it is not the best way to model a tree like the palmtree!
So if I have the chance to have a closer look to a real palmtree and make may pictures I may be can make one( or 2 3 4 5 etc:D )
Hope you 're not disapointed...I WILL keep -it-( making of a modelpalmtree) in my mind Josh!

Jos

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.