How to Make Trees and Shrubs

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

grove den

naturally natural trees
Hi Dave,

How I built the armatures?

Just watch the posts 13 till 17 of this thread...;-) so waaaaay back at the start ...

Jos

railBuilderDhd

I thought they were made from wire frame but I wasn't sure if you make all your trees that way or maybe do other ways as well. Looks good!
Dave

eTraxx

I found this thread this morning .. and I have only just finished reading through all 21 pages of posts. Now .. I have to 'run' back to those 'early' posts .. make some notes on materials/supplies and head to the store! I swear .. I sat here in 'shock and awe' at the beauty of your creations .. and fired up with wanting to emulate your work. Great work and thank bunches for the inspiration.

grove den

naturally natural trees
Thanks eTraxx!!

About the "length"of this thread ...I know it is a little bit long ...that is because I still can improve my technic about making trees! and that makes this hobby so great!!!:)
One thing I want to recommend to you: try to buy the fibers that they use in floristic industry/shops .
they use alll kind of colored fibers like black or dark green even brown!
So you don't have to color the fibers that much/anymore.
If questions...just ask overhere or per pm;)

btw: My latest attempt to make a solitar scotchpine growing on dry sunny soil:
f_uagvs3j4c0fm_5ffe708.jpg

again made( torn) with small thin parts of sanding pads from Scotch:D brite/3M
Jos

railBuilderDhd

Hey Jos,
That tree is great looking. I really like the way this one turned out. When you said use the fibers that they use in floristic industry/shops are you referring to the ones we discussed before from 3M?

Dave

grove den

naturally natural trees
Hello Dave, and thanks! =)

The scotchpine on the picture in the last post is made with the 3M sanding pads parts...so NOT with the, in very small parts/pieces cutted (already colored )floristic fibers!
here a picture with the small thin parts of the pad...glued on the branches of a pinetree;
f_1ny7imrkrcam_e16fcad.jpg

Jos

Last edited by a moderator:

railBuilderDhd

Hi Jos,
I noticed now that I missed the line where you said the pine tree was made with the 3M pad.
Sorry I missed it before.
Dave

CharlesH.

I've only skimmed through a few pages of this thread and all I can say is.... WOW!
I'm definitely trying one of your techniques sometime. Swell stuff!

grove den

naturally natural trees
Thanks Charles!!
If any questions just ask please!
Want to show you my latest efforts of making some" Platanus Acerifolia" trees.( don't know exactly the english word for those trees...)
The bark is very caracteristic for this type of tree...( HO scale and about 7-8 inches tall)

aaplatanenalbulaforum.jpg

Hope to finish, next month, a small( 20 inches in HO scale) groupe of Sequadendron giganteum trees with the trunks growing very close together. Actualy the are almost, at the base, one.

Jos

Steve B

Firefighter
Jos long time no see my friend, i have used the green 3m pads to make hedgerows, they are great just cut them into strips length ways and glue them down and add some fine foliage,,, Excellent.

John P

In America " Platanus Acerifolia" is a London plane. In England they're just plain planes.

You've got the bark just right.

grove den

naturally natural trees
Thanks Steve( glad you're back!!) and thanks John...also for the "translation"into USA-english!
btw overhere in my country this tree is related with France!! so not London..lol

Jos

grove den

naturally natural trees
Hello Shawn,

thanks! =)
Where do you get Sapargus leaves?
May be "google"to the local flowershops??

or local floristic industry...??
I do know where to "get"buy these overhere in my country..;-)
btw they can be bought too as artificyal leaves( great for HO scale!)..so all is "plastic"...so will stay a life time!

Jos

shawn63

tunnel rat
thanks jos Iam also trying to find caspia at my local florist but no luck so far I have been makinf some pretty good looking pine and lodgepole pine using an artificial moss product I'll try to post these as soon as I an steel my wifes camera!! thanks again for the help

shawn63

tunnel rat
thanks for tip dave I love the boxcar I like that super weathered look , dave makes some of the best looking bricks i've ever seen keep up the good work guys .

grove den

naturally natural trees
My latest tree: an old oaktree...still no leaves on it....

kopievankopievanp110021.jpg

Jos

eTraxx

... ahhh .. excellent as usual. I got my supplies .. see what I can do .. but DARN! You set the standards high!!

grove den

naturally natural trees
My very very very latest trees: "small" Sequoas...3 HO( max.20 inches) trees growing close together .
somewhere in a Belgium parc/garden.......
aamammoetbomengroepho20e.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.