Modell Railroad Links

Thread: Walthers Mainline vs Athearn Roundhouse

1. Default Walthers Mainline vs Athearn Roundhouse

Just wondering your experiences with Walthers Mainline vs Athearn Roundhouse Diesel loco's. Basically which line has the smoothest and quietest drive? Are the axles metal or plastic? Any known issues with the GEVO's? Thanks for any input.

2. Default

I don't have any of their GEVOs, but I do have a couple of the SD70ace locos. They seem to run very well, and the sound is ok. I haven't run them a whole lot, but I'm going to pick up a Citirail when its released. I have no RoundHouse locos, so I'm no help there.

3. Default

Thanks for the info. I bought two Roundhouse NS AC4400's and I'm not very impressed. I have Athearn Genesis and there is a world of difference...I know price is way different as well. But some companies use the same motor and drive/gears in lower lines as their premium. The 2 Roundhouse are noisy and not smooth at slow speeds. I pulled the factory boards and installed Rail Pro and it took me about 30 seconds to MU the two and try them running together. One ran at a faster speed than the other so I reversed the slower one and made it #2 in the MU and it ran the same speed as the faster one...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by migalyto View Post
    I don't have any of their GEVOs, but I do have a couple of the SD70ace locos. They seem to run very well, and the sound is ok. I haven't run them a whole lot, but I'm going to pick up a Citirail when its released. I have no RoundHouse locos, so I'm no help there.