Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New year. New layout.

1. Default New year. New layout.

Started construction on my layout this past weekend. Took roughly 9 1/2 hours to construct the table itself. I had some technical setbacks early on with my battery powered drills. However I received some help from my brother and we got it finished up. Next step will be getting track laid and get a layout design going. This build isn't what I had initially planned but settled with for ease of construction. Seeing as I failed at my bench work on my previous layout I figured it would be best to rebuild what I lost with a completely different approach. I had wanted to build a bigger layout but after numerous conversations with my wife we decided that this would be the best plan going forward. So let's keep the flames down as yes this is another sacred sheet and yes it's going to be an HO scale layout.

Justin
    Justin

2. Default

Chessie,

That looks like a nice solid start with your bench work. I well understand the long conversations with your wife. That looks like it is 4' X 8' ? One thing I did was put my 4' X 8' on casters. That way I could move it around the basement if the wife needed a project done and I needed the space. What kind of track plan are you considering? I did a variation of the Virginian that was in MR some years ago. I basically have a double oval with industries in the middle served by small yards. One other thing I did was place turn outs on three corners off the outside oval main line for future expansion. These three turnouts are just for small spurs that end at the table edge for future expansion. I will be going out this weekend to Lowes for the lumber for a 2' X 8' addition of a yard for building trains to run around the main line outside oval and serve the industries. It will be on casters. One 2' side of the new bench work will be attached to an 8' side right about where your Diet Coke is located in your picture. This will make it an L shaped layout.

Good luck and keep us posted with pictures. I am looking forward to watching your progress and learning from what and how you do things.

3. Default

This is a 4x8. I am very confident in the durability of this table. it's actually level all the way around. I'm itching to put some track down. I have a good start on my flextrack collection. I refuse to use sectional track this time. It's ok but when my joiners get to floating and causing me headaches I draw the line. More pics to come!

Justin
    Justin

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by chessie_system3 View Post
    This is a 4x8. I am very confident in the durability of this table. it's actually level all the way around. I'm itching to put some track down. I have a good start on my flextrack collection. I refuse to use sectional track this time. It's ok but when my joiners get to floating and causing me headaches I draw the line.
    Joiners should not get loose unless they are taken apart and put back together. Was the track not fastened in place? My rule is - A rail joiner only gets used once. If a joiner comes off it is replaced with a new one.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horseman View Post
    Joiners should not get loose unless they are taken apart and put back together. Was the track not fastened in place? My rule is - A rail joiner only gets used once. If a joiner comes off it is replaced with a new one.
    The track was nailed in place. All joiners were new. I didn't force any on to the rail ends. Temperature fluctuations maybe? I don't know. I do know I had some that were loose and were floating. I could move them from tie to tie with little effort.

Justin
    Justin

6. Default

Ok my plan as of now is to service two coal loadouts. I will use the up and over idea model railroader used in their Virginian layout. It won't match what they did to a t as I'm modifying their plan to fit mine. I'll have a very decent run up to my yard. I need no more than 4-5 yard leads in which I would like to have a run around track as I don't wish to shove up to my loadouts. My plan is to pull the hoppers up short cab forward and come down long hood forward. Then the plan is to get the loads off to a staging yard off layout and return with empties. That's my plan as of now. I'm playing with track configurations but nothing solid as of yet.

Justin
    Justin

Good to see you getting started Justin. A little compromise with the boss isn't a bad idea.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    Good to see you getting started Justin. A little compromise with the boss isn't a bad idea.
    This isn't a build I wanted given I have the space for bigger. However laundry days do happen and we'll she felt I'd take too much space and take up space for our laundry baskets. Sooooo......I settled. But best believe I'll be set up to expand. Just not towards the washer and dryer.

Justin
    Justin

9. Default

JUSTIN - my-o-my!
    I cannot believe that you would at least not added ONE lousy foot to the width so you could have a slightly larger radius for your six axle power?

Also I would use the sectional track in some places - only I would solder all the joints beforehand.

Well - I will follow what you do anyway! Just on a downer at the moment.
    Sherrel
    I am starting to think I will never be old enough to know better!

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by chessie_system3 View Post
    The track was nailed in place. All joiners were new. I didn't force any on to the rail ends. Temperature fluctuations maybe? I don't know. I do know I had some that were loose and were floating. I could move them from tie to tie with little effort.
    Interesting. I guess I've been lucky and not had that problem. I guess that is why some people actually solder their joiners, which is heresy on my builds.

So, back to the benchwork. It looks like you have access all the way around that layout. Are you planning to run a divider down the middle and have a "scene" on each side? Or have you not decided on a track plan yet?