Modell Railroad Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New year. New layout.

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horseman View Post
    Interesting. I guess I've been lucky and not had that problem. I guess that is why some people actually solder their joiners, which is heresy on my builds.

So, back to the benchwork. It looks like you have access all the way around that layout. Are you planning to run a divider down the middle and have a "scene" on each side? Or have you not decided on a track plan yet?
    I started working a track plan some this morning. The plan I have in my head is going to need some work to accomplish. I do plan on two scenes with a divider. It appears though I'm extremely short on turnouts. Especially right hand turnouts. May be the reason my yard on the last layout was the way it was. I wasn't happy with how I did up my yard on the previous layout so I will change that up. I'll only have leads to match the loadouts I switch. I wouldn't mind a storage track for loads which isn't too far fetched I don't think.

Justin
    Justin

2. Default

So I now have budget woes at the present moment. My plan is to atleast get my mainline laid this weekend. It may be only an oval of track but it'll be a start. It'll have to go without being nailed or glued in place as I have plans to add expansion pieces to it as well. I may be able to pull it off this weekend with buy my #6 turnouts to do up my expansion sidings. I doubt it but who knows. I'll have to score some roadbed to really get a start at it.

Justin
    Justin

3. Default

Anyone got any ideas to share on what elements I should try to put into my layout?

Justin
    Justin

How about loads out of the mines into a power house on the opposite side of the layout. The loads into the power plant would would go through a mountain from the power plant and become loads out of the mine. Empties out of the power plant would go to the other side of the layout and would become empties into the mine.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    How about loads out of the mines into a power house on the opposite side of the layout. The loads into the power plant would would go through a mountain from the power plant and become loads out of the mine. Empties out of the power plant would go to the other side of the layout and would become empties into the mine.
    Something like this then. It does give it a point to point idea to it. Will cut out two trains running at once. But really do I need to run two trains? I've even questioned building a yard this time as well. Do I really need a yard? I could very well build a yard off my layout. Gives me the reason to use my 2x4 sheets of plywood again.

Justin
    Justin

6. Default

Chessie,

I like the Cumberland and Ohio track plan. You can have one train running on the outer oval main line while having a local set out cars on the inner spurs to industries. Yes, you can use your 2 X 4 sheets to make a yard with the turnouts coming off of the outer oval. This is a nice track plan for adding on when you have the time and the funds.

Justin - That track plan is exactly what I was trying to get to. Instead of just loading at a mine and running trains around the layout, you're have a place to deliver the loads to. Your railroad will have a purpose. It created a lot of action when I had a similar set up on my N scale layout. A Yard??? They sure eat up a lot of real estate.

Maybe a little bit of negotiating with the war department will allow you to add the 2 foot section for a small yard and possibly even a small engine servicing facility.
    Last edited by montanan; 01-12-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by montanan View Post
    Justin - That track plan is exactly what I was trying to get to. Instead of just loading at a mine and running trains around the layout, you're have a place to deliver the loads to. Your railroad will have a purpose. It created a lot of action when I had a similar set up on my N scale layout. A Yard??? They sure eat up a lot of real estate.

Maybe a little bit of negotiating with the war department will allow you to add the 2 foot section for a small yard and possibly even a small engine servicing facility.
    I like your thinking Chet. Now all things considered I don't need a yard at all really. Case in point here. Thurmond, WV had everything but a holding yard. They sent loads to Hinton,WV I think. My thoughts are I'm more than likely just going to have a local to switch everything. Opens the door to throw in a team track as well. Means I can switch more than just hoppers.

Justin
    Justin

Colorado, Kansas, and servicing all points between

Quote Originally Posted by chessie_system3 View Post
    Anyone got any ideas to share on what elements I should try to put into my layout?
    Lots of considerations there. First I can presume we are talking about Chessie here and imply those limitations. That gives a time 1972-1980, and place south eastern USA.

Lets see that time period was:
    during the decline of steel in Birmingham,
    the very beginning of standardized containers,
    for coal there was the big movement away from hoppers and toward rotary couplers on gondolas and hence unit trains,
    passenger service essentially gone other than Amtrak but before the massive razing of train stations

Are you wanting mainline, branch line, or industrial flavor?
    Urban, suburban, or rural?
    Raritan, coastal, plains, hills, or mountains?

Do I really need a yard?
    Of course not. I think that many (most?) model railroads waste too much space with yards and not enough on the interesting things. Having said that, yards are nice for storing cars/trains while not running (staging) if nothing else. A wing yard can both save the layout for its design elements while still having a place to park stuff making it a place for all types of cars to "go".
    Last edited by Iron Horseman; 01-12-2018 at 01:05 PM.

10. Default

Ok well this will be the beginning of something bigger down the road. So there will more than likely need to be a mainline. I would venture to go with more of a local for switching. Industries of course I'll have a mine loadout. Plan for a team track maybe. Reason I brought up Thurmond, WV is well it had all the elements of a yard except for the yard trackage. It's focus was engine service and caboose service. I would say they served the branch and took loads to either Hinton,WV or Clifton Forge, VA and return with empties. There was a siding there. Now I know of only a few other industries in that neck of the woods. Logging and a rock quarry.

Justin
    Justin