Interesting Track Plan, Castle County RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

Interesting Track Plan, Castleville County

Interesting track plan of a layout that just appeared on ebay. There is a lot of train running possibilities on this relatively small layout (9.7 x 10.8). Thought it might be interesting to post, and solicit comments.

plan%2C%20ps%20900p.jpg

Attachments

• plan, ps 900p.jpg
    plan, ps 900p.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:

beiland

Listing & Owners Description

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302585844473?ul_noapp=true

I began this layout in 1995. I had a table layout, but the 1994 earthquake damaged it beyond repair. I decided to build a strong open frame layout with a hard shell. This approach aloud me to create mountains and valleys.
I am an electro-mechanical engineer by trade and have always liked trains. There is over 90 square feet of area and about 2.76 scale miles of track. There is a drawing of the layout in the gallery. My goal was to be as realistic as possible. I named the layout Castle County Railroad, but that name doesn't appear anywhere on the layout, so you are free to choose your own name.
There is a downtown area and plenty of industry. The downtown and the area around is lighted. (See Pictures)
I am retired now at 72, and it is too difficult for me to work on the layout.
My wish is that someone will continue to enjoy this layout as much as I did. There are some unfinished areas. The system was designed for block control, but today DCC is the popular train control. All the switches are working. I was in the process of converting some to slow motion switches using tiny servo motors.

There are a number of photos on that listing page. I've made an inquiry to possible obtain individual photos of those 'grouped photos'

Hawkesburytrain

Track plan looks interesting for N scale. 18" curves is to small for HO, unless all your freight and locomotives are small.
And yes 15.75" for aisle is way to tight

Rico

BN Modeller
Interesting layout, it does have possibilities.
Bad description on the listing tho, and I believe it is actually HO scale.

beiland

...from another forum;

Lots of 18" radius. From the pictures it looks like thanfully he had access on at least some of the outside, because no way can you reach the top from within that operating pit. Not to mention I am 20 years younger than the seller and wouldn't be able to squeeze through that 15" space to even get in there.

Zero operation, unless all you want to do is run mainline through trains. Is thre even a single siding anywhere besides the engine service?

It looks nice, and it may run well, but I know I would quickly grow tired of it the way it is. I like switching too much.

--Randy

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.