Why the huge fluctuation in participation here at the Model Railroad Forums?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Boris

Beach Bum
have strayed far enough from the original intent of this thread, which is: Why the huge fluctuation in participation here at the Model Railroad Forums? Although high prices certainly could be cutting down on the amount of people involved in the hobby.

Mark: For what it's worth, my participation fluctuates due to priorities, and interests. I would imagine others activity is similar. The coffee shop, is a place to socialize. The rest of the threads are topic specific. If the topic appeals to my interest, I read them and if I have something to share, I participate. I recently dropped participation in a forum that used to be interesting and informative, but no longer has much participation or interest.

I don't want to get into the discussion of cost, as it depends on what any given individual thinks is expensive. Back in 1964, that $1.98 Blue Box kit, was equivalent to the prevailing wage of $2.00 / hour for an industrial worker. The paper route really didn't pay for much then either. :rolleyes:

N

NP2626

We could discuss this until hell freezes over and that won't change your mind and it won't change mine! In the end I am willing to agree to disagree.

Mark - Inflation as lots to do with it, then there's the demand and offer for rarities , the details such as metal wheels instead of plastic (MDC Roundhouse as per stated in another forum) and also you are getting left overs (MDC). I checked EBay and found MDC's at $5 CDN. You need to compare apples with apples, the stuff they did in the 1980's don't compare to what's available today.

High prices is NOT cutting down on the amount of people in this hobby. Take a listen to this podcast, join Facebook groups, visit YouTube and if you can, visit Amherst in 2 weeks. If those don't interest you than sorry to say, but your opinion is not founded. I've given you plenty of example why I think this hobby is growing and you have given me none

http://traffic.libsyn.com/modelersli...dest-id=212884

George, what do you mean by "What would you do?"
I quit golfing because of torn ligaments in my wrist while playing in a tournament, went from high 70's to 110's, so it was no longer fun. Then took on poker as a hobby and did very well. One item on my bucket list was to play in the WSOP for Seniors and did just that. I then quit poker as I had no more goals to achieve and took up this hobby when I bought this house 3 years ago. When I started, I gave myself 10 years and then we shall see.

Sorry all, back to: Why the huge fluctuation in participation here at the Model Railroad Forums?

N

NP2626

I suppose these comments on the "ANPL Coffee Shop" will end up being similar to shooting myself in my own foot.

However, since the topic came up here in this thread, I have gone there a few times and looked to see if there was anything I wanted to comment on. It appears to be a place where friends go to kid around, drink coffee and comment on the weather. Some train talk does occur and someone may post photos of their layout; or, a project they are working on. For me, I just don't find it interesting enough that I need to become a part of it. Maybe when I grow-up I'll like it more, I just don't know. You guys have fun and that's the name of the game.

Boris

Beach Bum
I suppose these comments on the "ANPL Coffee Shop" will end up being similar to shooting myself in my own foot.

Mark: For many of us, the Coffee shop is our version of social media. it does grow on ya, after a while, and sometimes, ya need to avoid it for a while.

What attracted me, was the ANPL - Anti Nit Pickers League - portion of the description. I used to hang out in a few, member only "Prototype" Yahoo discussion groups. The folks who dominated conversation, would actually rat you out for violation of some obscure policy, if you persisted in disagreeing with them or contradicting them. Some knowledgeable forum regulars were actually intimidated by the "topic police", who determined what topics were appropriate. Ultimately, I dropped most of these forums, and do visit a few occasionally. I prefer this forum, because it's not as intently moderated, and most participants are well behaved.

Burlington Bob

I am one of those who have been gone for quite some time, for various reasons. First off, let me say that this is far and away the friendliest model railroad related site I have come across! That said, I have been very busy over the last year or so and a lot has happened.

We bought a CanAm Spyder motorcycle and have put over 11000 miles on it, our oldest granddaughter got third place in the Miss Illinois Outstanding Teen pagent, one of my wife's brothers is confined to a wheelchair with limited mental ability and living at the Illinois Veterans Home, her oldest brother is progressing to the latter stages of asbestosis, her mom died almost exactly a year ago, I retired from the Boilermakers, I got hearing aids, we bought a lot to build a house on the Gulf coast of Florida and I started a new job as a machinist for a major bearing manufacturer for maybe another five years of so as we save our money to build our dream home. We were undecided on Arizona, Texas, Arkansas or Florida. The ocean won my wife over.

I'm still buying items for my layout but the train items, locos and railcars, have taken a backseat to building kits, automobiles and scenery supplies. I've got a ConCor S2 4-8-4 steam engine that I had sound installed in and I have two ESU Loksound decoders, along with a non-sound decoder, to install in three diesels.

I mainly lurk on Trainboard and The Rail Wire for the N scale and DCC posts but this place is my "home". Just been on a "looonnnngggg trip". I've noticed the ups and downs before but it seems that things always return to "normal". I also use my Kindle to read the forums and a virtual keyboard is not the most convenient way of posting. Hopefully, things will return to some semblance of normal for my wife and I and I will try to make more of an effort to be a presence on here in the future.

beiland

Low Priced Cars

If i recall properly there was some discussion of freight car prices on this subject thread. Those interested might pay a visit to this,...
....recent HO-swap posting..
Thanks for reviewing this listing. I’m a HO modeler of the late 50’s.. I have many kits , locomotives & cars which do not fit scheme of things. Also downsizing my collection because of moving. Future space is smaller. Going to switching puzzles, such as John Allan’s’ puzzle and modular units. View image and discerption at:

STEWART HOBBIES KITS NIB $3.00 EA,
CGW 70 ton Offset 9 panel triple Hopper #69049 blt. 11/44
SEABOARD 70 ton Offset 9 panel triple Hopper #38645 blt. 6/51

Athearn Blue Box and Roundhouse NIB Kits $3.00 Each.
#1447 COTTON BELT 53’- 6” FLAT CAR #85056 blt.7/57 MSRP $24.98 Retired Model
#10601 CofG 40’ AAR BOXCAR Yngstn Door, #7070, blt. 4/52, MSRP $19.98 Retired Model
BAR 40’ REEFER #BAR7549 blt 8/56, I 4/69, , steel body, MSRP $19.98 Retired Model

Athearn Blue Box and Roundhouse NIB Kits $3.00 Each.
UP 40’ RIB GONDOLA #766, blt 3/44, steel body
UP 34’ RIB 2 BAY COVERED HOPPER #400055, blt 11/56, steel body

Walthers Trainline RTR NIB $3.00 EA.
#931-1611 Sinclair 40’ TANK CAR, SDRX#8194, blt 11/50, , Kadee style couplers, MSRP $17.98

ASSEMBLED CARS – Athearn Blue Box & MDC Roundhouse $2.00 Each
Cars are assembled and ran on layout. The amount of time is minimal or moderate. The listing state condition of the cars will note parts missing. All bb or mdc have plastic trucks and hook- horn couplers unless noted. Stored in their original boxes.
R.I. 40’AAR BOXCAR YGTN STL DOOR, #22059, blt. 3/52, “100 yrs. of Progress” herald, Bev-Bel Corp.

6/kits/cars only $15 + shipping.
9/kits/cars only $21 + shipping.

Note: Prices quoted are for Kits/Cars only. Shipping cost to be based on USPS Best Mail Rate & your zip code. Acceptable payment is USPS Money Order or PayPal (Friends & Family) Shipping within 2 business day of receipt of full payment of kits/cars & shipping. Shipping to lower 48 states of USA only.

vdefatta@yahoo.com
Vincent DeFatta

Last edited by a moderator:

beiland

Mark,
That fellow Vince is not on this forum, that is a copy of his posting he made on HOswap that I made for the few gentlemen in this discussion that were asking about lower priced cars.

Iron Horseman

Ha! by a happen chance I visited across the tracks today. I discovered that SpaceMouse is back. Now if we can just get him to come back over here too.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
2a. Train burn out some people just tire of trains for a while and leave for a while and then come back for a while, or not. e.g. Space Mouse. I think he did three cycles over about 4 years.

I am guilty of doing things in cycles, but not this time. This time I was just shut out of the hobby. I had just finished the benchwork for my new layout to end all layouts, when my wife, an artist, said she needed my layout space in the basement to do a new creative project. She said something about her incoming coming in was more important than my income going out. Two years later, she moved us to Arizona where basements were things the Pilgrims brought over on the Mayflower. My office became a corner of the dining room. The plan was the kids would move out and I could use the room for my office/layout and my wife would use the other for a studio. But the kids have not been able to get jobs that would allow them to live on their own and it looks like it will be awhile before they can afford to leave.

So this New Years Eve my wife surprised me by saying I could tear out her art space in the garage and build a layout, as long as I could use the space underneath to store her art, art shipping supplies, etc. So now I am 3 months into a layout, just having finished painting the benchwork. Tomorrow I start the wiring.

Frank

I'm back again for the moment. Like a lot of other folks, my work on my railroad goes in fits and starts. Hopefully in the near future, I'll be far enough along to start wiring the module, but that's going to be a ton of soldering.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back. We're definitey seeing an increase in visitors with the new software. It's easier to use, posting photos is easier, and it's a lot faster as well. Of course more activity inspires more activity, so hopefully the trend will continue. As for the highs and lows, they're part of any online forum. Hobbies are something you do when you have time, and life can throw you curveballs. Also, interests ebb and flow based on seasons etc. I'm pretty sure more model railroad shops would tell you that summer isn't nearly as busy as winter. It's just how things work. I try not to worry about it too much, and just keep improving the place whenever and wherever I can.

tootnkumin

Staff member
I am guilty of doing things in cycles, but not this time. This time I was just shut out of the hobby. I had just finished the benchwork for my new layout to end all layouts, when my wife, an artist, said she needed my layout space in the basement to do a new creative project. She said something about her incoming coming in was more important than my income going out. Two years later, she moved us to Arizona where basements were things the Pilgrims brought over on the Mayflower. My office became a corner of the dining room. The plan was the kids would move out and I could use the room for my office/layout and my wife would use the other for a studio. But the kids have not been able to get jobs that would allow them to live on their own and it looks like it will be awhile before they can afford to leave.

So this New Years Eve my wife surprised me by saying I could tear out her art space in the garage and build a layout, as long as I could use the space underneath to store her art, art shipping supplies, etc. So now I am 3 months into a layout, just having finished painting the benchwork. Tomorrow I start the wiring.

Make sure you bolt, screw, glue, cast in situ, weld if you can, it to everything and anything that to remove it would severely damage the house foundations.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Make sure you bolt, screw, glue, cast in situ, weld if you can, it to everything and anything that to remove it would severely damage the house foundations.

I think I'm safe for now. She needs the storage under the layout. She's moving her art on-line. She needs the storage space under the layout (which I custom built for her) for shipping supplies and storing paintings. And being a woman, she'll never change her mind.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, you're back. Thought maybe the remodel job scared you off. We lost a few folks for a bit during the upgrades, as there were times when we were doing massive database work and things were running slowly. However, the upgrades are all completed now, and the forum is running faster than ever, as well as being easier to use and much easier to upload photos. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your layout work.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Mark: For many of us, the Coffee shop is our version of social media. it does grow on ya, after a while, and sometimes, ya need to avoid it for a while.

What attracted me, was the ANPL - Anti Nit Pickers League - portion of the description. I used to hang out in a few, member only "Prototype" Yahoo discussion groups. The folks who dominated conversation, would actually rat you out for violation of some obscure policy, if you persisted in disagreeing with them or contradicting them. Some knowledgeable forum regulars were actually intimidated by the "topic police", who determined what topics were appropriate. Ultimately, I dropped most of these forums, and do visit a few occasionally. I prefer this forum, because it's not as intently moderated, and most participants are well behaved.

Thank you, that is exactly my goal. This place is supposed to be like a virtual model railroad club of sorts. Just like a real club, you might also talk about sports or the weather or how your kids are doing in school, whatever. It's only natural. So we created a friendly place for that. The folks who want off topic discussion can participate, if you're not interested, simply avoid that topic.

We also discourage nitpicking except when it's requested. If you want to inquire about the exact size of the lettering on a Santa Fe boxcar fine, ask and we'll discuss it. But if you're happy with "close enough", well that's fine too.

We all have different goals in the hobby, and my intent is to accommodate them all.

We do have a good group of moderators here, and the place is watched pretty carefully. But we also try for a "hands off" approach whenever possible, along with "don't sweat the small stuff". We don't move a lot of conversations and don't worry if something is posted in one that might fit in another. There's overlap, we know that, and it's not a big deal if you pick a different topic than I would. When we do move something, which is rarely, it's no big deal and nobody is going to yell at anyone for picking the wrong topic. So have fun, post away and enjoy.

Boris

Beach Bum
Bob:

I forget when I actually joined this forum, but it's been a while now. I also joined some other forums at the same time. I rarely go beyond this one, because most of the participants are congenial and show tolerance for each other's personal whims.

Because I have a railroad background, I used to belong to the "lists" that were informal extensions of historical societies, especially for properties I had a connection with. As time passed and list owners / moderators changed, some of these became small dictatorships. Others reached the point where there was little new to discuss, and the lists stagnated.

Hands off does work with this group, and there is a lot of self discipline, that one doesn't see elsewhere. We have a really good group of core people that participate.

Boris

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.