Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying on Ebay.

Default Buying on Ebay.

I don't buy a lot of stuff there; but, because most rolling stock manufacturers no longer supply kits to the market and that is what I want, Ebay has quite a few kits from most of the manufacturers that did sell their products as kits. I also sell stuff on Ebay and feel that it is obvious that my ideas about how the stuff I sell should be represented as, is much different than the average Ebay seller thinks and does. Recently I purchased three tank cars, two chemical tank cars and a petroleum products tank car. All three tank cars where Blue Box Athearn products and all three where advertised as Brand new! One was even assembled. How long ago was it that Athearn stopped producing kits and went to all RTR stuff? It's my contention that this would be 10 to 15 years ago! Therefore, Athearn Blue Box Kits can no longer be considered new, unassembled, yes; but, new, NO way in HECK! I know the truth and I'm guessing most people buying these kits, know they are not new! There not being new probably has no bearing on the prices they sell for.

So, my question is this: why do people misrepresent their wares like this and what do you think about how they advertise their stuff?
    Last edited by NP2626; 12-11-2017 at 05:23 AM.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

2. Default

Let the buyer beware! Misrepresentation of wares has been going on since ancient history. I choose not to buy from EBay because I want the product in my hands before I fork over my money.

Willie

Yes, I'm fully aware of Buyer Beware! I have 329 transactions on Ebay and in all of those, I have really only been stung once. Yes, these guys are: In my words, misrepresenting their wares. However, I know what it is they're selling; so, I have no misconceptions about what the products are. Buying on Ebay is certainly a choice you can pass on Willie, your answer however really wasn't germane to my questions.
    Mark D.

Opinions given are my own and not meant to ruffle any feathers.
    Northern Pacific, really terrific!

The stuff you are getting that is untouched and unassembled is what is called "NOS" in other hobbies. Otherwise known as New Old Stock. If it is being sold by a hobby shop or wholesaler, it can certainly be "new", even if it's 20 or more years old.
    Once it is purchased by an end consumer, it is then considered used, or pre-owned.
    The one you got that was advertised as new, that was assembled, was not new in any way.
    You're never too old to do something stupid.

Terry

5. Default

You have to do some interpretation when it comes to Ebay. One of the things I've noticed is that when an ad says "Not tested" when referring to locomotives is that it probably doesn't work. I've purchased a few locomotives that way, fully expecting this. For the most part, they actually did work or needed a little bit of work to get them running. So I haven't been bitten that way. I did purchase a brass locomotive that had been dropped. I took a good look at the photos and decided to go for it anyway. Turns out, it was more than I could handle. My bad.

One thing I've also noticed is that there are people that sell on Ebay, not knowing what they are selling. A while back, I was interested in a locomotive that didn't quite look right, but the price could've made it worthwhile. I contacted the seller, who quickly responded to my questions and posted more photos. She told me the locomotive wasn't bent. From the photos, she was correct. It wasn't bent, it was twisted. Lesson here is to ask the right questions and carefully examine the photos.

If we're going to compare Apples with Apples, then buying online from wherever has it's risks, re misrepresentation. I would say I and the wife have had better results overall from ebay than other sites. EBay's claim system is better than most outside ebay. EBay's terminology for determining new or used is a little different to others. They use a number scale if you notice, but if something is rated as new, it is supposed to be in it's original sealed, unopened box/packaging. When it was originally made or went on sale isn't really a concern. It's one of the things that make selling model trains a bit difficult to adhere to. How can you effectively show photos of your item that is actually new, never been on the rails, without opening the box, taking it out and displaying it from several angles. Technically by eBay's standard, it is now used, or the proof that it is new, is gone, but I don't think anybody objects. We want to examine the item as best we can.
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

I recently purchased 8gb of computer ram, in two 4gb pieces. When it arrived, I had 8gb all right-- in 4 2gb pieces. When you only have two slots for it, that doesn't work very well. The seller edited the sale to indicate this, but I sure don't remember reading that in the description.
    So, there are liars, and there are damned liars.

Terry

I very seldom buy anything from ebay. One thing I do look at is the sellers rating if I do buy something. I see so much "junk" that is really over priced also. Good entertainment. Many items I see are also being sold at full retail and can be had from internet retailers at a discount. If I am looking for certain items that I con't find from internet retailers I will look on ebay as a last resort. I did manage to get a few good deals when I was looking for an F unit for my North Coast Limited. I am very selective though. I have never tried to sell anything on ebay.
    ................................ Chet

Video - Switching in Churchill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR-tYl9fd9s
    VIDEO Tour of the layout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiNqrkq9xYY
    New cab ride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiL7SgH6Wbw

Quote Originally Posted by bnsf971 View Post
    I recently purchased 8gb of computer ram, in two 4gb pieces. When it arrived, I had 8gb all right-- in 4 2gb pieces. When you only have two slots for it, that doesn't work very well. The seller edited the sale to indicate this, but I sure don't remember reading that in the description.
    So, there are liars, and there are damned liars.
    Did you go back to the original listing via your purchase history?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tootnkumin View Post
    Did you go back to the original listing via your purchase history?
    I did. For whatever reason, it only shows the revised listing.

Terry