Modell Railroad Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decoders

Default Decoders

Can I use an NCE decoder with a Digitrax set up?
    Retirement is for when the weekends just aren't long enough anymore.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by oplholik View Post
    Can I use an NCE decoder with a Digitrax set up?
    Yes! The beauty of DCC as a standard is that you can run almost any decoder on another brands system. I have digitrax but the majority of decoders I use in locomotives are NCE, Soundtraxx and Loksound. I only use Digitrax decoders in locomotives I buy second hand with them already installed. Even then I have to see if they are first generation ones (no speed tables in those).

It's quite common to see a mixture of brands of decoders on a single DCC system. This is especially true of club layouts.

You can operate almost any brand and type decoder on almost any system, most of them at the same time.
    In the video linked below, Locomotives from Intermountain, Athearn, and MTH, with sound decoders from ESU Loksound, Soundtraxx Tsunami, and MTH Protosound 3 demonstrate their interoperability:

Last edited by bnsf971; 12-05-2017 at 05:46 PM.
    You're never too old to do something stupid.

Terry

Paul,

Ditto to the above.
    Cheers,

Tony
    (aka wombat457)

"...knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it is another..."

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...Indoor-N-Scale

Good, Modeltrainstuff has pretty good prices, I think, for NCE's for my Atlas 8-40B's.

Paul

While your looking Paul, take a look at TCS for DCC only decoders and Tsunami for Sound. I think they may be the cheapest options. I've had both and find them to be pretty decent. LokSound is (from all accounts) the top of the line in Sound Decoders but can be a little on the expensive side compared to the others.
    Cheers,

Tony
    (aka wombat457)

"...knowing what to do is one thing, being able to do it is another..."

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...Indoor-N-Scale

Afraid I don't know what TCS is. I don't think I'll be going for sound on these. My lead loco has sound, so I think that will do it. The 8-40B's are pretty small and wouldn't think the sound would be too good in those anyway.
    Last edited by oplholik; 12-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Paul

TCS is another brand, Train Control Systems. Do you know if your Atlas locos have only the 8 pin NMRA socket for the decoder to plug into, or the 9 pin "Quick Plug" socket?
    CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I'm lost. I've gone to look for me. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

I don't know about the pins, but I can post a pic of one of them in a bit if you can tell from that.

Paul

10. Default

ModelTrainStuff is a great place to buy but I have also found that Yankee Dabbler is a good resource for DCC anything. They carry the speakers that are liked by many that you will not find at modeltrainstuff.com.

Hope this is a little help.
    Dave